Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether they accept transfer students? I'm in my first year at university, could I join the 2nd year at IC? (I did meet their conditional offer but I decided to go elsewhere)?

thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by M Safe)
    Does anyone know whether they accept transfer students? I'm in my first year at university, could I join the 2nd year at IC? (I did meet their conditional offer but I decided to go elsewhere)?

thanks
    Which uni are you at and which course (UCAS code especially)

ReputationRep:

thanks

I don't know specifically about IC. However, there is a chance, I do know that in transfers the most important requirement is that you meet the A level grades, and then that you at least pass your first year. After that there are the issues of whether what you've studied elsewhere is 'compatible' with what they're doing at IC to enable you to successfully carry on with their second year. Oh and the small matter of whether there are places available.

The latter two you can only really find out through phoning up the respective department. Soooo, get to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Which uni are you at and which course (UCAS code especially)
    I am not being funny, but I'd rather not say. I have looked at the IC syllabus and compared it to mine- they look quite similar.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I am not being funny, but I'd rather not say. I have looked at the IC syllabus and compared it to mine- they look quite similar.
    That's ok - just though I could help you with some of the legwork.

The point is that if you are doing a similar course at Thames Valley it's likely that IC will refuse a request to tranfer irrespective of how similar the courses are.

And an identical (or almost identical) UCAS code is usually the best starting point when it comes to matching course content.

Your best bet would be to email the admissions tutor at Imperial for the course you want to do. Include you A level grades (and your old UCAS number if you've still got it as it's possible they might still be holding a copy of your UCAS form), a full synopsis of the modules you've covered in your first year and *any* grades you've achieved so far (even if it is only coursework grades for a couple of modules), and a good explaination of why you've changed your mind about your current uni and what attracts you to IC...and of course exactly what you want to do (transfer directly into the 2nd year).

Be specific and formal and include as much information as you can and if nothing else you should get an answer either way quite quickly without too much to-ing and fro-ing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    That's ok - just though I could help you with some of the legwork.

The point is that if you are doing a similar course at Thames Valley it's likely that IC will refuse a request to tranfer irrespective of how similar the courses are.

And an identical (or almost identical) UCAS code is usually the best starting point when it comes to matching course content.

Your best bet would be to email the admissions tutor at Imperial for the course you want to do. Include you A level grades (and your old UCAS number if you've still got it as it's possible they might still be holding a copy of your UCAS form), a full synopsis of the modules you've covered in your first year and *any* grades you've achieved so far (even if it is only coursework grades for a couple of modules), and a good explaination of why you've changed your mind about your current uni and what attracts you to IC...and of course exactly what you want to do (transfer directly into the 2nd year).

Be specific and formal and include as much information as you can and if nothing else you should get an answer either way quite quickly without too much to-ing and fro-ing.

Thanks pencil queen, I'll try this.

Actually, I think it's quite unlikely: I know for sure that the Department of Computing in general doesn't accept transferees, and think this is a college policy. However, it is still worth contacting the undergraduate admissions tutor --- I could be horribly wrong

What are you studying now and where?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.