Not Ready Watch

This discussion is closed.
lostinfantasies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Was talking to my nan today, and she raised the opinion that it may be best that I don't take a gap year but instead go to university next September. If I take a gap year, I would have already applied/got a place/know my results, but apparently, it's best I went and didn't faff about with a gap year.

Having talked myself into having a gap year and slightly preparing myself for going to university in September 2007, I feel next year would be a bit *too* soon. I know it's the norm - after A Levels, you go to university, but I feel it would be too early for me to go. I've always been a "young one" - if I was born on my due date (give or take a few days) I would have been in year 11 by now, doing my GCSEs. Not in college. Not doing AS Levels.

And certainly not thinking so hard about university.

Does anyone know of any pros and cons in regards to taking a gap year/going to university straight away? I'm not bothered about the distance (except for a few practicality reasons, as in getting all my junk to here or there) or missing family/whatever, and I could get a NHS bursary with my course, so money *may* not be a problem.

However, I still need to earn, and a gap year may help that.

If anyone can help, then thanks! I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned by any of this, so it helps others too .

(No idea if this should go in Gap Years or University Discussion).
Mark S
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, personally i'd take a gap year, maybe even stretch that to two years. I want to travel a bit, not have any school work to be done, no deadlines to meet and for a bit i wouldnt have to care about time! You can get a job for a while, even if its just in a bar a few days a week, if your parents dont mind you living with them then its perfect money and a free bed! Just enjoy yourself really.

If you decided to go to uni straight after A levels then good for you, it just means you'll get a degree earlier than everyone else, uni life is pretty good also, a "full time party" some friends told me. But you still need to stick to deadlines and go to lectures. I'd say gapy year is better then when you're good and ready go to uni, i mean you never know, you will prob go to uni really wanting to learn as you've had a decent break.
Fiona87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you really feel that next year would be too soon and feel as though you're young for your year and don't want to go yet, then I don't see what's so bad with taking a gap year. Are you looking for reassurance on taking a gap year because your plans have been questioned, or do you genuinely think you should strongly consider going to university in 2006?

If you can plan something out for your gap year, it might lay your nan's fears to rest. Some universities want to know what you've been doing in your gap year (or what you plan to do) as well, but you'll have to ask at college about that. It could be really productive in that you could take part in a project, or get a job and save for university (I don't know how far a bursary will go), or you could take a break from exams etc. and do lots of things you've been thinking of doing, which seems a pretty valid reason too. It's only going to get harder to take a year out of your life where you don't have to worry too much about what you're doing.

On the other hand, you might get to the end of Year 13 and feel caught up in the pre-university excitement and wish you were going. If you're unsure, don't make any definite decisions until school starts up again. You're going to write your personal statement anyway. You sound like you want to take a gap year in your post, so if you talk it through with teachers maybe they can reassure you and help you more than I can (I've applied for 2005 uni entry).
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's up to you really. If you still feel 'too young' for uni, take a gap year, and go to uni in 2007. I'm sure you will enjoy your gap year! If you get the grades required for uni, you might feel you are ready for uni, as your acheived the grades you wanted, and ready to move on.
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Obviously it depends on how you feel about the situation - if you don't feel ready to go to University then a gap year would probably be a good option! I wouldn't worry about your actual age - I started University when I was 17 and so do quite a few other Scottish people without any problems But if you don't feel like you're ready for University I'm sure you could have a very productive gap year and clearly earning money is always good!
Jenn xx
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you personally don't think you're ready to go to university and would benefit from doing something useful on a gap year, go for it. If you applied after your A-level results, it would be a lot less stressful knowing you definitely had a place at university, and whatever you did on your gap year would be great to mention on a personal statement. You could also save up some money, so looks like it's the best option all round really Although a lot of people do go to university straight after A-levels, it's certainly not uncommon to take a gap year, and universities will appreciate your experiences and maturity.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Some people who are at a right age to go to uni (i.e. 18), don't go to uni straight away, as they want to do something fun, instead of doing more academic stuff staright away after A-levels. The uni's will like the gap year stuff you will be doing since it's related to your course.
lostinfantasies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks guys!

Fiona87 - Yeah, my decisions and choices have been questioned, so that's why I'm sort of...thinking about it.

Heh, tried to talk to my mother about it all but just got the "I'm only bothered by the child benefit" talk. Nice.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (90)
25.86%
No (258)
74.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise