Turn on thread page Beta

whats best to do-live on or off campus? watch

ReputationRep:
    any of you who go to uni, do you live on campus or stay at home?

Any comment would be useful because i dont know whether to live on campus or stay at home and use the money i save to buy a nice car

x x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy_j)

Any comment would be useful because i dont know whether to live on campus or stay at home and use the money i save to buy a nice car

x x x
    Ahhh it all depends! I'll try and state the case for each, although it does vary, depending on institution and location.

On campus, pretty much all the plus points of what people commonly associate with 'university life'. You're close to your fellow students, can easily meet them during 'uncivil hours', close to the university and all its facilities, i.e. gym, library and the like. Also, very easy to make friends, as so many people live nearby.

Staying at home....close to your folks, or whomever else is there. That's really about it. Although, it has been bought to me attention that there are those that study better whilst at home...dno why! Oh and you save a hell of a lot of ££ (then again, if you're having to buy a car, with MOT, tax, fuel...it's going to be pretty close anyway).

ReputationRep:
    If you live near (in the same city) the campus, then you'd be nuts to actually move there. Although there is the social aspect to think of too. aka sex, parties, drugs, alcohol, more sex, touch more booze and a bit of sex for afters. I've been studying externally from uni for the past 18 months part time, and am moving towns to study full time with access to the lecturers etc. Though I'm going to be staying in a boarding house rather than on campus. I guess thats just my thing, though it is cheaper and if the residential schools are anything to go by, I'd like a good nights sleep every once in a while. No kidding... last school started on a Monday and I was trying to sleep at 7pm surrounded by people already drunk and having sex. If that is your kind of thing, then I think campus life is for you, if not, then may I suggest you get a decent little sports car

ReputationRep:
    quite true. Im only going to go to a uni in london though, so it will only take about half an hour to get there. Im just worried that if i dont live on campus, i wont make any friends. I suppose everyone feels like that when they first start tho.

ReputationRep:
    Usually you live on campus in your first year, then move out and live in the town/city with your friends.

I recommend living on campus if you can, its a great way of meeting new friends, other than those who'll you'll meet on your course, and if you live at home you miss out on the campus atmosphere. You could always live at home in your second year, but you might not want to go back!!

ReputationRep:
    the idea of a sports car does sound good

and im sure i will make friends,im a friendly enough person
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Moving away from home is well worth it - if only because uni is an easier excuse for them to bear than "I don't want to live in your house anymore" - rejection with a reason is better than just rejection (IMO).

I moved away from home, lived in halls for 2 years (both times in different unis) then spent my 3rd yr half in a shared house and half commuting in from my boyfriends house, spent my 4th yr living with him and his parents (which wasn't half as bad as it sounds).

Living at "home" and commuting in actually cost me exactly the same as living in rented accommodation...but then I was paying a reasonable (albeit reduced) rent to my boyfriends parents.

I can't imagine living at home during university unless you have very understanding parents (who are happy to deal with drunkeness and the occassional lover). What sounds like a good idea at 18 can quite easily be a living hell at 20/21 (trust me - much as I love the in-laws after 2 and a half yrs under their roof I insisted we move out).

Independence is a vital and useful skill to develop and living at home is unlikely to help you long term...but at the same time I found it very useful to have a clean, tidy house to go home to and eat tea with family and be in a family environment...not dealing with bills and housemates is a bonus - especially when it comes to the 3rd yr.

ReputationRep:
    maybe i should just live on camus for the first year. Although im only doing midwifery, so i my tuition fees are paid for by the NHS, which means the only debt i would be in is accomodation.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    maybe i should just live on camus for the first year. Although im only doing midwifery, so i my tuition fees are paid for by the NHS, which means the only debt i would be in is accomodation.
    It's worth it - after a yr out of the family home you will know what you are giving up to save money...and whether to you it is worth the price.

Even if you don't need it take out your full student loan and interest free overdraft and bung em into a high interest account - it's money at a rate that you will never be able to borrow at again and a good way to get a financial grounding on graduation.

ReputationRep:
    it seems quite daunting though, moving out and that. I dont get homesick tho, i hope that doesnt sound bad. I do miss my family when im away on holidays and that, but i always enjoy to get away, god that sounds terrible doesnt it?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    it seems quite daunting though, moving out and that. I dont get homesick tho, i hope that doesnt sound bad. I do miss my family when im away on holidays and that, but i always enjoy to get away, god that sounds terrible doesnt it?
    No it doesn't it sounds completely normal for someone who is ready to leave home but realises what it's likely to involve

ReputationRep:
    I echo everything Pencil Queen has said regarding independance, and believe me even though the thought of moving away (rather than out) after 18 years under parental rule is quite scary; it does work out worth it in the end.

For further independence, self catering is the ultimate - the skills developed in a self catered house or flat are retained throughout life - from the practical side of ironing, washing, cooking - to the communication skills you have in order to get along with what can be a wide cross section of people (eg in mine; Me (18, Notts), Richard (18, Merseyside), John (18, Croyden), Aaron (18, Kent), Akis (23, Cypriot), Li (19, China)).

You get used to it eventually, I've been away from home for 11 weeks now and it's no where near as scary. Despite home being only 30 minutes down the road, I wouldn't do the daily commute, both for the stress and the loss of social life.

ReputationRep:
    I live in uni accomodation, but it's not on campus. It's about 2 miles away. Next year, I guess I'll be living closer to campus.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess it might be quite daunting. It wasn't too bad for me as I lived in Switzerland for 3 months in my Gap year, with minimal contact with home (I phoned them four times in the entire time I was out there - Christmas, when my Grandma went into hospital, my Mum's birthday and the night before I came home), so coming to uni was not much of a challenge, as we're at least in the same country!

One of the girls here had never been away from home for more than one night, and she found it quite hard to settle in to life without her family, but I haven't found it a problem really. I didn't have much of an option though, as there are no universities with medical schools within viable distance of home, so I was always going to move away, and once I qualify, I doubt I'll move back either.

It might be stressful and a bit scary, but the independence is great and it's really worth it.

Hi, I live in a town about 14 miles from nottingham and will probably be going to nottingham uni (which is on a campus a few miles out of nottingham) next year

to start with i was trying to work out if I should live at home or not, but thinking about it

I did my work experience in the same building as I would be studying in (it's in the medical school of a hospital) and I spent over 4 hours a day travelling there and back, and I would have to leave the campus by around 4.30 or face major problems getting home due to the crappy evening public transport services back to my town.

On the bus it would cost me roughly £30 a week in fares (with student saving) or £50 without. The train and bus together would be also around £50.

It might be better to drive, but then I'd have to pay for the car, MOT, tax, petrol (probably around £20 a week then at least) just to get to uni and back. Plus, parking is a real problem.

Taking going out into account - trying to get home afterwards - and it gets even worse.

Plus, even driving it would be a considerable amount of travelling a week - on the bus it would be around 20 hours a week, which is enough to have a part time job or get on with some proper study.

Living at home would probably still work out slightly cheaper, but I think it will be worth it to live on campus, and I don't think that the difference in costs taking transport, etc, into account, will actually be as big as you would imagine to start off with.

Rosie

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to my local university (Oxford), and if I get in then I wouldn't dream of living at home. Even though it's only a couple of miles away I'm sure I would miss out on a lot, and my parents aren't particularly understanding about late nights, drunkenness etc....

ReputationRep:
    I'm really looking forward to living on Campus, wherever i end up. I had the luck to get a place on a summer school at cambridge with 19 other prospective Physics student and it was great! Sadly there were only 2 girls

I deliberately chose universities far away so I wouldn't have to stay at home, although my sister is now threatening to knock through into my room as soon as I'm gone, so I might not have a room to come back to!

ReputationRep:

x x x
    Id say it depends on what its liek at home... I wouldnt even considder staying with my folks for university, but then you might have a different view...

Anyways, Id say its a pretty poor investment to buy a car. If you are going to stay at home Id advice you to save the money instead, or use it to pay for your education. Trust me on this one, you will be glad you did so when you realise that unlike most otters, you do not have a big fat student loan...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    I'm really looking forward to living on Campus, wherever i end up. I had the luck to get a place on a summer school at cambridge with 19 other prospective Physics student and it was great! Sadly there were only 2 girls

I deliberately chose universities far away so I wouldn't have to stay at home, although my sister is now threatening to knock through into my room as soon as I'm gone, so I might not have a room to come back to!
    God I wish I had been at that summer school, My summer sucked (Except the start of it where I got to make out with this really cute girl over in the states) Im applying for physical natural science at cambridge as well, and My father has gotn me all stressed up about the interview (He did his A levels 20 years ago, and the math courses back then appears to have been a bit more than what they are today...).

ReputationRep:
    I'd definately live on campus, to experience the full uni life. I know someone who has graduated now from this uni, who lived at home in Coventry, about 20 mins away, and said she really missed out, and wished she stayed in uni accomodation. Then there's someone in the next corridor in my halls who also lives in coventry, but has decided to live on campus, and said he'd hate living at home while at uni. I didn't have a choice personally, I don't have a local uni at all.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.