Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Howdy. This is for anyone who has any questions or heard myths about manchester and wants to see if there true.

Also if your from Manchester and you wanna set the record straight about things people may think about Manchester....

i.e. we dont all say 'Mad for it!!!'

Begin.............

ReputationRep:
    We don't all talk like Oasis some mancs are actually quite wells spoken. We don't all live in two up two downs, have you seen some of the mansions in Greater Manchester (Didsbury is a good place to start)

When people sya Manchester has the best bus service in Europe certainly in South Manchester this is true, I have yet to go anywhere (including London, Paris, Barcelona) that can beat the Manchester bus service.

Manchester really does have more famous bands per capita than any other city.

Moss Side is actually quite a safe part of Manchester if you stick to the main roads On average there is about 2 shootings there per year, and thats only becuase some idiot has got himself into massive debts with the mafia.

ReputationRep:
    That makes me feel so safe going to manchester, lol 'only two shootings a year'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonSteve181)
    That makes me feel so safe going to manchester, lol 'only two shootings a year'.
    lol. Its not like there shooting each other across the parkway! Its gang orientated so you shouldnt worry. (That sounds stupid doesnt it!lol) If you stay streetwise you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yep the shootings are very isolated, its not random targets, its targeted towards specific people, Manchester still has less shootings per capita than Nottingham and London.

If you stay out of trouble you will be fine. Its only the low life wannabe gangtas that get into trouble.

Remember the population of Greater Manchester is 2.5 million, and the population of Moss Side must be about 10,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Moss Side is actually quite a safe part of Manchester if you stick to the main roads On average there is about 2 s there per year, and thats only becuase some idiot has got himself into massive debts with the mafia.
    2 a year in Moss Side? No chance! I'd say 5 a month at %

But of course people don't get randomly shot for nothing. You'd have to have some serious issues with dodgy people to wind up with a bullet through your head/chest/etc.

ReputationRep:
    5 a month? There is no way there is that many. I've been through Moss Side at least 20,000 times on the bus and have not even seen a slight bit of evidence of crime, unlike other parts of Manchester.

Don't forget that a lot of the shooting don't actually happen in Moss Side.

Another myth is that the population. People say its 400,000, its actually 2.5 million. Remeber you have to include Greater Manchester as the city, Trafford, Salford, Stockport, Tameside etc are all apart of Manchester. Otherwise the Lowry, Old Traffor d Stadium, The Trafford Centre etc would not be in Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Old Traffor d Stadium

Thats why we say there is only 1 football team in Manchester,

I can remember 2 shootings but its not dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Generally people who get shot in Manchester are asking for it just like anywhere else.

Also, you really have to say there are four football teams in Manchester now: Man Utd, Man City, Bolton and Wigan. Four more premiership teams than the enitirity of Yorkshire.

ReputationRep:
    Do break-ins into dormitories happen often in the university's accomodation? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    University hall and most halls in general have good security with swipe cards or magnetic key fobs needed for entry and decent CCTV systems. Some people do get past it but mostly to put posters up on corridors and notice boards. I don't know of anyone who was broken into in halls last year but i do know of a few things going missing (mostly down to a couple of thieving students). Just keep your door locked when you are not in your room.

I do however know of a fair number of students who have had their houses broken into in Manchester, most during vacations. All i can say to this is only move into a house with good security (double lock, alarm etc) and make sure its all in place when you leave for a time.

Greater Manchester Police usually have a stall at the Freshers fair giving out secirity stickers and UV pens for valuble items and advising on general security.

ReputationRep:
    The sad thing is that a lot of accomdation in Fallowfield is not up to scratch, its actually a fairly rough innercity area but prices are inflated so much becuase of the student hype.

There always has been higher than average crime in the Fallowfield area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devlin)
    University hall and most halls in general have good security with swipe cards or magnetic key fobs needed for entry and decent CCTV systems. Some people do get past it but mostly to put posters up on corridors and notice boards. I don't know of anyone who was broken into in halls last year but i do know of a few things going missing (mostly down to a couple of thieving students). Just keep your door locked when you are not in your room.

I do however know of a fair number of students who have had their houses broken into in Manchester, most during vacations. All i can say to this is only move into a house with good security (double lock, alarm etc) and make sure its all in place when you leave for a time.

Greater Manchester Police usually have a stall at the Freshers fair giving out secirity stickers and UV pens for valuble items and advising on general security.
    Thanks for the advice. It was certainly a nice piece of advice hehehe

I guess I will be staying in Halls for the duration of my studies. I don't intend to move to house, hence based on what you have mentioned, it should be quite safe if I keep my door locked whenever I'm not in my room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    Thats why we say there is only 1 football team in Manchester,

I can remember 2 shootings but its not dangerous.
    I saw on the news a few months ago, 14 gun related crimes in moss side and longsite in feburary alone.

ReputationRep:
    Gun related crime means anything from shooting someone dead to pointing a cap gun at someone. Anyway, very few students live in either of those areas. I only every go into moss side a little bit to get to Hulme Asda.

ReputationRep:
    Fallowfield's night life really isn't that great. The city centre / student unions is where it's at.

ReputationRep:
    If your looking for a house everyone keeps on saying how great fallowfield is because of its night life, but it barely has one. There are a few bars and clubs but nowhere near the amount in town. And jhealey is right, if you move to fallowfield you'll be paying between £5 and £10 more per week than you would for a similar house elsewhere. Withington is only a little way down from Fallowfield and still on the main bus route but far cheaper. I live in Rusholme and that is really cheap as well (I'm paying less than £40 per week next year for a good (if slightly small) house. Plus, I rarely have to travel through Rusholme on the bus which is a nightmare during term time.

ReputationRep:
    There's been lots of myths debunked, but nothing about legends. Apart from the football, music, student population, food, location, history, radicalism, friendliness and arts there's the general atmosphere in the city. Can't be better expressed than by quoting from the Manchester gallery in the City Art gallery

'There is more to Manchester than shopping, bars and clubs. Manchester is the city of radical thinkers, mavericks and trendsetters. It's the people that give this city its edge. They have always fought for their rights: challenging, resisting, contesting, insisting. Peterloo did not crush this spirit, the suffragettes struggle was fuelled by it.

Manchester attitude, the swagger on the streets colours the cultural landscape. It inspires designers, artists, musicians, writers to harness the tangible pulse that surges through the city'.

I visit this gallery regularly and re-read this. A fantsatic description of the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devlin)
    If your looking for a house everyone keeps on saying how great fallowfield is because of its night life, but it barely has one. There are a few bars and clubs but nowhere near the amount in town. And jhealey is right, if you move to fallowfield you'll be paying between £5 and £10 more per week than you would for a similar house elsewhere. Withington is only a little way down from Fallowfield and still on the main bus route but far cheaper. I live in Rusholme and that is really cheap as well (I'm paying less than £40 per week next year for a good (if slightly small) house. Plus, I rarely have to travel through Rusholme on the bus which is a nightmare during term time.
    And if you're really advanterious you can get away from the student places, try Didsbury or Chorlton, both have great night life, Chorlton being more trendy and more localy owned, Didsbury being more expensive and much more commericial.

I personaly love the Chorlton bars they are so relaxing and you're still only 10-15 minutes way on the bus to the city centre night life.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.