Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad I did LAT4 last year! Although I remember it as being pretty horrendous then as well, so maybe that's just how they are. I did Pliny for Unit 5, which I think went pretty well - I was half expecting to get Letter 10, about Marius Priscus, which I hate, so was rather relieved not to. I'm amazed that you lot check your work after the exam to see what you got wrong, I usually just try to block out everything I wrote on the basis that I can't really do anything about it now.
    I'm doing Plautus on Monday and really not looking forward to it. When I started revising Plautus was my favourite of the three texts, but my other two exams both went better than I'd expected and my Plautus revision really hasn't been good (not helped by all my friends having already finished their exams, so I've been spending more time with them than I should have), so Monday is probably going to be tough. Which is why I'm on here rather than frantically reading Plautus.

ReputationRep:
    Ah Pliny: Gentle as a father he was

Haha, yeh that Pliny paper was good, although i missed out 5 (f) cos i didnt see it :| ah well, 4 marks out of seventy, hopefully il b all right

i cnt wait 2 finish plautus tomorrow - im vaguely worried about the english question, but more worried about the essay question - so many boring topics could come up! ne1 got some masterplans?

nickthedog

ReputationRep:
    Livy and Sallust today anyone?

Thought was quite good, essay was relatively straightforward, didnt finish it though, which was annoying..
    Shame all the questions were about Livy's style, never sure if Ive nailed them, or am totally off radar..
    Ah well...

ReputationRep:
    I left myself too little time for the essay as well. I thought 15 minutes would do for a 15-mark question, but there was quite a lot to say. I'm never sure if I'm doing what they want when I talk about use of language: mostly I think they just put those questions on so the whole exam isn't just rote learning, so they can pretend that it's really very intellectual and difficult. I made some very laboured points indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aenor)
    I left myself too little time for the essay as well. I thought 15 minutes would do for a 15-mark question, but there was quite a lot to say. I'm never sure if I'm doing what they want when I talk about use of language: mostly I think they just put those questions on so the whole exam isn't just rote learning, so they can pretend that it's really very intellectual and difficult. I made some very laboured points indeed.

Yeh Im totally with you there Aenor, I left 15 for the 15-marker, was a good question, almost too good, because there was a fair bit to say. Just talked about Sallust having political axe to grind, therefore, Adherbal and Jugurtha were caricatures to some extent, and Marius was a God. Livy was an entertainer and a republcian so he created a great story, 2 central characters, and the most invincible, pious, cold-blooded Roman of them all, Scipio. Ran out of time though..

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    Can I join your wonderful group? I've just finished A -Level Latin getting a B with AQA just before its withdrawing the subject. I cant believe I hadnt found this forum earlier, its the best!

Long Live Latin

ReputationRep:
    Why did AQA drop Latin of all things?? It owns! Why can't they drop something like Sewing tech or something stupid like that!
    Is A level latin for AQA as hard as OCR?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, its probably because not enough people do it now!
    AQA I found are quite tough markers especially the examiner that marked my AS papers, and I did GCSE Latin with OCR which I found were quite nice papers. My teacher who has taught both OCR and AQA worked out the unseens are far harder on AQA but thats all I know!

Good luck with latin next year!

ReputationRep:
    i whole heartedly join flumen in saying "long live latin!" haha that made me smile :-)
    can i join??
    i'll be going to cambridge in a few weeks to start my classics course there (not sure whether 4 or 3 years yet!) and have an ambiguous education in holland/belgium so i won't bother you with the details of that :P

with that having been said by me, i leave you now!

ReputationRep:
    The two leaders of this place (who spoke on the opening page) are geniouses.

I had to drop my Latin beginners course (meant for 11 year olds, with Caecilius etc) becasue i was so bad at it/lazy.

How do you say 'I ****ing hate Latin' in Latin?

ReputationRep:
    non amo linguam Latinam

(although can't imagine why you'd want to say that :p: )

ReputationRep:
    doesnt look like it has the swear word in to me. Surely the Romans **c*ed? Does anyone else think reading the first page was really funny?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    doesnt look like it has the swear word in to me. Surely the Romans **c*ed? Does anyone else think reading the first page was really funny?
    Yup the Romans ******, but they weren't quite as prolific as the Greeks in that respect I'd wager.
    And unfortunately my dictionary does not give me the translation of **** in Latin, I was rather upset about that.
    I suppose I could translate it literally as "I humping hate Latin" or "I making-love hate Latin"?

ReputationRep:
    Any chance of joining this latin society?

ReputationRep:
    can i join too? I'm studying Pro Milone
    Woo i remember caecilius!

ReputationRep:
    Yup the Romans ******, but they weren't quite as prolific as the Greeks in that respect I'd wager.
    That’s a tough one. The Greeks were serious shaggers, especially in regard to orgies, and...kids. The Romans didn’t do kids did they? Didn’t they see it as a Greek vice? Tiberius was into kids mind, but that’s coz he was into Greece as well.

I always wanted to know what Cleopatra really looked like dressed as Aphrodite on that barge as she went to meet Mark Anthony. Judging from pictures in profile of her, she had a killer conc - that nose was awful. She sounded hot when you hear how dirty she was though, and I imagine Mark Anthony knew a good piece of pussy from a bad piece.

Sorry, very little of that post was relevant, and some of it misogynistic.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, hey. Can I join too?

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I would like to join this society for I really want to learn Latin at A Level (perhaps next year).

Is it possible, for the people who are currently taking/have just taken this A Level Latin, to send me all of their scanned/powerpoint/materials concerning this course. You see, I really would like to be ahead of others for next school year. Could you possibly send this to me via PM? Positive reputation(s) will be given, I promise!

Thank you awesome people!

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely HATE no, LOATHE AQA. They are the main reason I can't do A2 latin due to their abortion of latin A-Level. We were forced to drop it as OCR is apparently tough for people who are used to the cambridge latin course, among other reasons. HATEEEE EM

ReputationRep:
    There's always CIE Latin.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.