Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    isn't that how sherwin-white, the bloke who wrote that pliny book, spells connection?

ReputationRep:
    It's how all the cool people spell it. Me, Jane Austen, Anthony Sherwin-White...

ReputationRep:
    Decessit res et quidem sponte, quod dolorem meum exulcerat...

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd prefer "it" as a compromise rather than "he". You can sacrifice me just a teensy bit if you like. Who's your favourite god?

ReputationRep:
    anyway, the quote for today will be the following:

"Educentur hic qui hic nascuntur"

coming from pliny's letter 18 (hiring a schoolmaster), i think it serves as a (chiastic) example of his linguistic technique borrowed from the kind of rhetoric he would have used while in court. as the letter's to tacitus, a fellow writer, you can understand why pliny might have felt inclined to spice up trivial and random stories with poetic/rhetorical devices.

ReputationRep:
    that's the word I was looking for, chiasmus! Thank you! Although I now can't remember why I wanted it...
    Do all our quotes have to come from Pliny, or does that rule only stand until Friday?
    Aenor, I don't like the word it. And I'd take more offence at being called 'it' than 'him'. Most of the time, I think Athene's the best, but I also like the way Hera seduces Jupiter to get her own way. And I'm quite interested in Mithras, but don't know a lot about him. I apologise now for jumping around between Greek and Roman names.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been fascinated by Mithras; didn't they worship him in fake caves or something? Can we have a quote from Livy or Virgil?

ReputationRep:
    i think they might as well come from pliny until friday, then we can switch to plautus.

also, how about random vocab word of the day? although we probably need another 500 days for it to be of any use, i don't see any harm in doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Random vocab sounds good, could be useful. Maybe we should ask them to delay the exam for another five hundred days. That would be nice...
    New debate: Virgil or Vergil? I eventually decided on Vergil, because that's how it's spelt on the cover of my Latin text, and the only real proponent of Virgil was AQA, which is hardly renowned for its aesthetic brilliance. And he's Vergilius in Latin.

ReputationRep:
    pliny is plinius in latin, but would you dare call him plini

ReputationRep:
    Everyone calls him Pliny, but I've seen both Virgil and Vergil written.

ReputationRep:
    I think 'vergil' is supposed to be the 'Oxford' spelling or something... (hmmm or maybe I just imagined that?!) Personally I think consistency is the key - chose one spelling and stick with it (like with Greek names - either latinize them or don't: you can't have Sokrates but then Thucydides!) On the V. front, I think you can apply the same logic - either Virgil as the accepted english spelling, or Vergilius if you're going for authenticity!

ReputationRep:
    From now on I'll refer to him as Publius Vergilius Maro to avoid any controversy. Likewise Titus Livius.

ReputationRep:
    odi et amo. quod faciam, fortasse requiris?
    bloody letter 10 of pliny, et exrucior

ReputationRep:
    We had to do that one for GCSE. It was my favourite. I wish they all only had two lines.

ReputationRep:
    lol well, today's pliny phrase might as well be another rhetorical wonder of his (that's a double genitive, sorry)..

"censuit dandos, evocandos autem"

taken from letter 10, talking about how Julius Ferox felt that judges should be given to Priscus, but that those who made bribes should be summoned.. it's a nice example of antithesis, with a juxtaposition of gerundives of obligation.

ReputationRep:
    and the random vocab word will be..

ulciscor, ulcisci, ultus sum - take vengeance on, avenge, punish

ReputationRep:
    The double genitive is allowed, isn't it? It's like saying "one of the ones he has".

I really like the double gerundives. Very nice.

ReputationRep:
    I've done no.10! and after tomorrow, I'll never even have to think about ever again. Good quote, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    You have just gained another member. Me! How proud you all must be.. lol.

Anyway, yes. Pliny. Hmm. He really is one of the most patronising men I have ever come across, pompous and totally "Ooh, look at meee!". Although, my hatred of Pliny does make revising his letters quite good fun, seeing as I can poke fun at him continuously.

I have not even started revising Plautus yet, argh! On the day of the Plautus exam, I also have a double whammy with my Class. Civ. Greek Tragedy exam, which is slightly irritating.

Vale.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.