This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
How many schools are closing next wed because teaching assistants, catering staff and cleaners are
going on strike? I've heard a some are. Will the day be have to be made up at some other time, like
if a school closes because if snow?

--
Andrew

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.373 / Virus Database: 208 - Release Date: 01/07/02
Slieber24
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected] uk>, "APH" <[email protected]> writes:

[q1]>How many schools are closing next wed because teaching assistants, catering staff and cleaners are[/q1]
[q1]>going on strike? I've heard a some are. Will the day be have to be made up at some other time, like[/q1]
[q1]>if a school closes because if snow?[/q1]

I told one of our unionised LSAs about it last week - they've been uninformed about the situation.
She said she'd be checking. I don't think our caretaker even has a clue that this is happening. It's
not been played up very much...

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Sheila :-D
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Tameside Emerald CSC" <[email protected]> burbled:

[q1]>Our school - at the moment - is staying open but the caretaker thinks she will strike[/q1]

I don't think we'd notice. <slaps wrist>

[q1]>and the cooks definitely are.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>It looks like it'll be packed lunches all round.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
That's OK; it's our Sports Day and we're having a picnic lunch.
--
Sheila :-D (Delete all to mail.)
User 1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:52:18 +0100, "APH" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>How many schools are closing next wed because teaching assistants, catering staff and cleaners are[/q1]
[q1]>going on strike? I've heard a some are. Will the day be have to be made up at some other time, like[/q1]
[q1]>if a school closes because if snow?[/q1]

TAs, catering staff and cleaners deserve more money. The amount they get is utterly ludicrous. They
are also the ones who suffer most from privatisation.

Do let us all (or more to the point, your union!) know if anybody tries to make you make up for the
missed day.
**** http://user1951.tripod.com ****
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
Shakespeare and ICT program of study
last updated 30 05 2002
Greigy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Tameside Emerald CSC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] .uk.clara.net>...
[q1]> "SLieber24" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q1]> | In article <[email protected] uk>, "APH" <[email protected]> writes:[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]> | >How many schools are closing next wed because teaching assistants,[/q1]
[q1]> catering[/q1]
[q1]> | >staff and cleaners are going on strike? I've heard a some are. Will the day be have to be made[/q1]
[q1]> | >up at some other time, like if a school closes because if snow?[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]> | I told one of our unionised LSAs about it last week - they've been[/q1]
[q1]> uninformed[/q1]
[q1]> | about the situation. She said she'd be checking. I don't think our[/q1]
[q1]> caretaker[/q1]
[q1]> | even has a clue that this is happening. It's not been played up very[/q1]
[q1]> much...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I've just got back from a Governors' meeting and one of the AOB items was this strike. We couldn't[/q1]
[q1]> decide whether to close or not.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> As teacher Governor I didn't want to lose £100 or so in support of our ancillary staff[/q1]

Why does this not surprise me? No ethics and no class.....
Jo L
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Our school will be closed to pupils, and we have to be in, but it will be treated like an extra
INSET day, i.e. staff meetings and planning for next year in faculties. (the time does not have to
be made up as we will be in sp they can't penalise us for not working!) The school had to do a risk
assessment before they decided to close, since so many crucial people would be missing, e.g. bus
drivers to get pupils in, SMSAs, office staff, LSAs, Heads PA, Caretakers it was felt we could not
safely open the school to pupils.

Jo
Slieber24
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected] om>, "Jo L" <[email protected]> writes:

[q1]>Our school will be closed to pupils, and we have to be in, but it will be treated like an extra[/q1]
[q1]>INSET day, i.e. staff meetings and planning for next year in faculties. (the time does not have to[/q1]
[q1]>be made up as we will be in sp they can't penalise us for not working!) The school had to do a risk[/q1]
[q1]>assessment before they decided to close, since so many crucial people would be missing, e.g. bus[/q1]
[q1]>drivers to get pupils in, SMSAs, office staff, LSAs, Heads PA, Caretakers it was felt we could not[/q1]
[q1]>safely open the school to pupils.[/q1]

Which LEA are you in?

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Jo L
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"SLieber24" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> In article <[email protected] om>, "Jo L" <[email protected]> writes:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Our school will be closed to pupils, and we have to be in, but it will be treated like an extra[/q2]
[q2]> >INSET day, i.e. staff meetings and planning for[/q2]
next
[q2]> >year in faculties. (the time does not have to be made up as we will be[/q2]
in
[q2]> >sp they can't penalise us for not working!) The school had to do a risk assessment before they[/q2]
[q2]> >decided to close, since so many crucial people[/q2]
would
[q2]> >be missing, e.g. bus drivers to get pupils in, SMSAs, office staff, LSAs, Heads PA, Caretakers it[/q2]
[q2]> >was felt we could not safely open the school to pupils.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Which LEA are you in?[/q1]

Bath & North East Somerset (since B&NES employees aren't allowed to use the intials B&NES
anymore!!!) We also have lots of support staff in Unison, all but 2 or 3.

Jo
[email protected]
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected] lara.net>, Tameside Emerald CSC <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]> but I also stated that if - and it's a huge IF - they picketed, then I, and most of the teacher's[/q1]
[q1]> I've asked, wouldn't cross[/q1]

check your own union's advice

pickets should not try to prevent you doing your work but they are entitled to ask you not to
do theirs.

--
Gertie.

Award-winning bog cleaner, agony aunt and now Latin scholar. Veni, vidi, Vim (I came, I saw,
I cleaned)
`P
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"[email protected]" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]y.net...
[q1]> In article <[email protected] lara.net>, Tameside Emerald CSC[/q1]
[q1]> <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> > but I also stated that if - and it's a huge IF - they picketed, then I, and most of the[/q2]
[q2]> > teacher's I've asked, wouldn't cross[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> check your own union's advice[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> pickets should not try to prevent you doing your work but they are entitled to ask you not to[/q1]
[q1]> do theirs.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

If you dont cross the picket line, there is nothing the union can do for you. It is classed as an
illegal act, leaving you open to summary dismissal (at worst), a management instruction on your file
for 6 months at best - and there is nothing the union can do to prevent it, as teacher unions didn't
take a ballot for industrial action therefore it's classed as secondary action.

You can't phone in sick either -- the LEAs will be watching for that too.
--
`p
Jo L
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"SLieber24" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q2]> >> >Our school will be closed to pupils, and we have to be in, but it will[/q2]
be
[q2]> >> >treated like an extra INSET day, i.e. staff meetings and planning for[/q2]
[q2]> >next[/q2]
[q2]> >> >year in faculties. (the time does not have to be made up as we will[/q2]
be
[q2]> >in[/q2]
[q2]> >> >sp they can't penalise us for not working!) The school had to do a[/q2]
risk
[q2]> >> >assessment before they decided to close, since so many crucial people[/q2]
[q2]> >would[/q2]
[q2]> >> >be missing, e.g. bus drivers to get pupils in, SMSAs, office staff,[/q2]
LSAs,
[q2]> >> >Heads PA, Caretakers it was felt we could not safely open the school[/q2]
to
[q2]> >> >pupils.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> Which LEA are you in?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Bath & North East Somerset (since B&NES employees aren't allowed to use[/q2]
the
[q2]> >intials B&NES anymore!!!) We also have lots of support staff in Unison, all but 2 or 3.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Our HT claims that all of ours are independently contracted, so a strike[/q1]
isn't
[q1]> going to affect us. I know ours has no idea of one, because I asked them[/q1]
about
[q1]> it.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I wonder if it's yet another line the HT has pulled to try to keep people[/q1]
from
[q1]> striking...[/q1]

Ours get paid on the same pay slips as us, so they must be employed by the same people, i.e.
the council!!

Jo
User1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
My wife was one of the many on strike today. It was encouraging to see the coverage on the news
which showed how widespread the action was and in the case of ITV talked about some of the wage
levels involved.

The employers were very poor, unsympathetic and intransigent. I am not surpised some unions are
disaffiliating from the Labour Party.

There was no picket line at my school so I was in no quandry about crossing it. Personally I have
never crossed a picket line and I am a bit old to start.

http://user1951.tripod.com Education Education Education
`P
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"User1951" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3d36c0d4.1251[email protected]... SNIP
[q1]> There was no picket line at my school so I was in no quandry about crossing it. Personally I have[/q1]
[q1]> never crossed a picket line and I am a bit old to start.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

No picket at our school too. The relief felt by myself and colleagues - and our SMT too, who very
sympathetic towards the non-teaching staff & and to those of us who had had private words about
whether we were facing the sack if we had refused to cross a picket line - was huge.

I'm no fan of strikes but I doubt I could have crossed an official picket line, law or no law.

--
`p
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads