Speed cameras - good idea? Watch

This discussion is closed.
midloon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
What do you people think of the thousands of speed cameras on UK roads?

Personally i find that i spend more time looking at my speed dial than the road, which i would say is far more dangerous.
John82
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would be in favour of them if they were not a money-making scheme for the Police. Many of the cameras that I see, especially the mobile ones, are in places where accidents are unlikely but speeding is rife. Fair enough if the cameras were placed near schools and accident black spots, but they're not and it annoys me. Another tax on the motorist if you ask me.
Speleo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Another tax on the motorist if you ask me.
It's a tax for breaking the law.
TheVlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I sometimes get a little bit irate at people complaining about cameras. Surely, if they don't want to be fined, they shouldn't speed. If they consider the speed limit on a particular stretch of road to be too low, they should campaign for an increase.
jiggaman7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think they're a really good idea...but should only be used in areas where there have been a certain number of accidents...not all over like they are now
and having them on areas where it quickly changes from 30 to 40 is soooo stupid and annoying :mad:
sahsum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
speed camera are definately better than speed bumps which annoy the hell out of me. I don't find that I'm always looking at my speed dial, because they are yellow and i just look quickly when i notice one. I think definitely a good thing!
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i dont think they serve much purpose. a lot of people dont even notice they've been snapped until they get the letter through the door. therefore at the time they were speeding it didnt really make them slow down or change their driving. whats the benefit there?

i also heard cameras only serve notices on the top 10% for the given time period. therefore the majority of "speeders" arent punished in any way. again i dont see how that stops speeding or changes anything.
sahsum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by technik)
i dont think they serve much purpose. a lot of people dont even notice they've been snapped until they get the letter through the door. therefore at the time they were speeding it didnt really make them slow down or change their driving. whats the benefit there?

i also heard cameras only serve notices on the top 10% for the given time period. therefore the majority of "speeders" arent punished in any way. again i dont see how that stops speeding or changes anything.
Yeh i see your point, but they do raise awareness which is important. if you got fined once you would be more likely to take care in the future.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sahsum)
Yeh i see your point, but they do raise awareness which is important. if you got fined once you would be more likely to take care in the future.
i doubt it. some of my friends, and family too, have points on their licences for speeding offences. they still speed.

ive gone through temporary speed traps over the speed limit (never got a fine though) and it hasnt suddenly made me go 29mph everywhere in fear.
TheVlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That is a bit like saying "What is the point of sending people to prison after they've committed a crime?".
The point of both is deterrance. If people know that if they speed they might get caught and fined at any point on the road, they might be less inclined to speed. Thats why I'm against painting the cameras yellow.
sahsum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i doubt it. some of my friends, and family too, have points on their licences for speeding offences. they still speed.

ive gone through temporary speed traps over the speed limit (never got a fine though) and it hasnt suddenly made me go 29mph everywhere in fear.
well more fool them then. I'm sure they'd think twice the day they run a five year old over. But then i guess they could slam the breaks on and just get hit in the back instead
Beekeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They save lives, unless you're breaking the law, you won't get a fine through the letterbox.

What really annoys me is when people say "But i couldn't even see it, it was hid behind that bush!" What would the point be if you could see them, and slow down every time you pass one, then speed off into a neighbourhood afterwards?!!
sahsum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by beekeeper_)
They save lives, unless you're breaking the law, you won't get a fine through the letterbox.

What really annoys me is when people say "But i couldn't even see it, it was hid behind that bush!" What would the point be if you could see them, and slow down every time you pass one, then speed off into a neighbourhood afterwards?!!
very good point
technik
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sahsum)
well more fool them then. I'm sure they'd think twice the day they run a five year old over. But then i guess they could slam the breaks on and just get hit in the back instead
indeed im sure they would think twice...

but i still disagree that cameras are a deterrent in their current setups and guises. as i pointed out it hasn't deterred people i know even when they have penalty points, ive ran through the traps over the speed limit on several occasions.

the only detterent that would work would be putting cameras on *every* road, and fining *everyone* who goes 1mph over the limit. big brother comes home to roost
sahsum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
indeed im sure they would think twice...

but i still disagree that cameras are a deterrent in their current setups and guises. as i pointed out it has deterred people i know even when they have penalty points, ive ran through the traps over the speed limit on several occasions.

the only detterent that would work would be putting cameras on *every* road, and fining *everyone* who goes 1mph over the limit. big brother comes home to roost
Yeh true, its a responsibility as a drive thought to take more car. When learning to drive I was quite surprised that they didn't emphasise dangerous driving more. I think some gorey photos in the theory test would help people realise the dangers.
Ynox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
*******s they save lives.

They have them in places where they'll generate revenue. E.g. on the a45 in coventry theres one just over the brow of a railway bridge.
Geordie_in_HK
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Speed cameras can't do the jobs traffic cops can. They can't tell if the driver is drunk, drugged up, has insurance, has a licence, is 12 yrs old, is weaving about over the road, overtaking dangerously etc. Speed cameras also have no lenience - if a traffic cop stops you on an empty, dry motorway for doing 85mph he is just going to give you a warning - the speed camera would fine you.

They are a money making scheme for the government - the most dangerous road in the UK (according to accident statistics (the A68) has only TWO speed cameras. Motorways such as the M1 and A1M have numerous speed cameras, yet everyone knows that motorways are the safest roads.

Bad driving causes accidents - speeding is only ONE form of bad driving.

How come there are never cameras outside schools? How come there aren't measures to prevent people from double parking outside schools?

I have a GPS camera locator on my car because while driving at 30mph in built up areas is common sense. 70mph on a motorway is a joke - everyone does 85mph.

speed scameras need a thorough rethink.
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am all for speed cameras. There is a road near my house which is amongst the most deadly in the country. It is only a couple of mile slong, but when it was built in the 90's there were several deaths every year on it (the most horrific being twin boys aged about 5).

But about 3/4 years ago spead cameras were fitted along the road and as far as I can tell there has not been one fatal accident since and other accidents have been drasticly cut too.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by beekeeper_)
One purpose of speed cameras is to make people slow down and drive at a safe speed when they see them. Both the visible ones, which will make people ensure they are travelling at a safe speed, and the hidden ones, which are supposed to keep motorists worried and think in general, serve that purpose.
I don't see any objection to their money-raising purpose either: the hidden costs of motoring are a lot higher than the amount paid by motorists, so anything which gets them to pay more for the damage they do is a good thing.
Speleo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't see any objection to their money-raising purpose either: the hidden costs of motoring are a lot higher than the amount paid by motorists, so anything which gets them to pay more for the damage they do is a good thing.
Also, that money is put into hospitals/police/schools, it's not just poured down the drain or stolen by politicians, as many seem to be implying.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (186)
19%
No (590)
60.27%
Not really bothered about them (203)
20.74%

Watched Threads