Once you have your degree do A levels matter? Watch

This discussion is closed.
KadeK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I mean, the reason why I'm asking this is because I didnt do too well in my A levels in that I could have done alot better. But thats in the past, if anyone has a time machine then please let me know?

As it is, I achieved a CCD in my A levels. I got a D at AS level, but that D in Biology I was happy with because I detested Biology.

Anyway, I want to study Psychology in my Degree and I was wondering whether after getting my degree, A levels would matter?
KadeK
Rep:
?
LOL, I dont get that. Which means you wasted your time in posting it.
username260542
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hope not because I didn't do very well in my A-levels either and I feel I could have done more, I was also literally a couple of marks off raising 2 of my grades which really gets at me but I have managed to swindle my way into a good uni so I'm trying to put my A-levels behind me and hopefully I'll do well at Uni. I'm starting my degree this year so I have no direct experience but my Dad does a lot of training and comes across recruiting and stuff and he always says the last thing you did is more important.
tokyorose888
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd like to know too, i got AABB for my A2s, got into my uni. But the thing is, im one mark from an A in one subject. If A levels do really matter then i might get a remark, to get AAAB probably?
KadeK
Rep:
?
Well it's always good to redeem yourself. I hope you do well in Uni.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some employers operate pre-interview screening on A level results as well as degree results.
RocketTown
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
once you have an undergraduate degree, A level grades are pretty much irrelevant for most things you'll do next (apart from some companies using them for screening processes)

similarly, when you have a Phd etc your undergraduate grade doesn't matter that much. Obviously its always advantagous to have a good academic record but its always you're current scores that matter, as obviously... people change.
Cup of Inspiration
Report 10 years ago
depends on the job/employer, i know my a-levels are never going to be looked at or cared about again for nursing even my degree result lol
Mitothy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I quote a psychology lecturer "once you have a degree no one gives a **** about A-levels"

In all my postgrad applications I wasn't even asked what A-levels I did... so basically no
tokyorose888
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
can anyone give me examples of fields or types of careers where they do prescreening?
atheistwithfaith
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tokyorose888)
I'd like to know too, i got AABB for my A2s, got into my uni. But the thing is, im one mark from an A in one subject. If A levels do really matter then i might get a remark, to get AAAB probably?
I can't tell if you are joking?
queenofwands
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not really, maybe for certain post-grad courses but GCSEs seem to be more important in those cases
KadeK
Rep:
?
GCSE's Really? Why not A levels?
yoyo462001
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
GCSE's only matter when getting into College, A levels only matter when getting into Uni.
tokyorose888
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by atheistwithfaith)
I can't tell if you are joking?
lol, im not joking, im...confused

A levels stay with us forever right? and maybe i might need to apply fo another course if i drop out of uni which requires higher grades? lol

i worry too much....
arkadykris
Report 10 years ago
can anyone give me examples of fields or types of careers where they do prescreening?
pretty much any employers that's a big "graduate scheme"... they require applicants to meet certain A-Level result/UCAs tariff thresholds. For instance the government fast stream requires 280 UCAS points.
Mitothy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

A levels stay with us forever right? and maybe i might need to apply fo another course if i drop out of uni which requires higher grades? lol
True but after your degree no one gives a crap, if you've got a first literally no one's going to ask for your A-level breakdown regardless of career or area. Especially if its the difference between an A or a B

i worry too much....
So true its painful
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

i worry too much....
Colleges do not close their doors to anyone over the age of 18, you can go back and redo your A levels or another qualification such as a NVQ or Access diploma when you want if you can fund it. Don't worry about if you drop out now, are you planning on it? :p:
Cup of Inspiration
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by queenofwands)
Not really, maybe for certain post-grad courses but GCSEs seem to be more important in those cases

:wtf:
screenager2004
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got the impression that if an employer doesn't know your uni/degree subject that well, they'll make a judgement of it based on your previous grades....

"Where is the University College of Bingbong?... well they got AAAAA so it must be a good one"
X
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
10%
Disagree (2)
10%
Neither agree or disagree (6)
30%
Agree (6)
30%
Strongly Agree (4)
20%

Watched Threads