Turn on thread page Beta

Are Most People On This Forum From Grammar Schools? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    oh SATS how i miss those dead easy exams!

ReputationRep:
    YO THATS ALOT OF RESPONSE IN THIS ONE THREAD THAT HASNT BEEN UP FOR MOST OF THE TIME....
    personally i think that it depends mostly on urself like Acting Fr3ak was sayin that theres always people gettin brilliant marks in state schools too
    my dads always sayin that he shudda put me in grammar cos i never do any work and he says that i wudda also been in the habbit of hard work for AS levels etc if i had gone to grammar...........but i still get my head down and work as much as i can....cos u c i am one of those people who loves sport etc.....and cant sit down for too long......
    at results day tho.......im aimin for 5A*'s and 5A's.....I WILL BE SOOOOO CHUFT IF I GET THAT!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InTeRRoGaToR)
    my dads always sayin that he shudda put me in grammar cos i never do any work and he says that i wudda also been in the habbit of hard work for AS levels etc if i had gone to grammar
    not nessecary, there people at my school who are right jackasses and are gonna leave with no a*-c gcses to their name, serious (and we do 13), weve had people expelled permantely, exclusions for gettin caught with hash, and smoking in school our school is just likeany other school, just that the teachers teach you gcse stuff from y8, its up to u in the end, so if youve workd hard at state school which it sounds like you 'kinda' have, lol, it wont matter

ReputationRep:
    I go to a state school which I think is quite good. The pass rate is about 75% A* - C. I'm predicted all c's and above but mainly A's and B's and a couple of A*'s. But my schools in quite a good area. It's not inner city which I think makes a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a grammar school. It really isn't all that great!

We are massively underfunded because Labour think that all students in this country should converge to one achievement level, and consquently, we don't receive any government funding. 'Excellence will not be tolerated!'

Is their new motto, I believe.

We don't even have a usable toilet or water supply. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I go to a comprehensive and for my year, 46% of students got 5 A*-Cs. As Loopz said though, the emphasis is on making sure as many people as possible get Cs, so if you're aiming higher than that, you pretty much have to do it yourself in most cases. We still had a couple of high(ish) achievers though; this boy got 4 A*s, 8 As and 1 B (and 1 D, but we don't mention that lol) and my best mate got 1 A*, 10 As and 3 Bs. Both couted a Distinction in GNVQ ICT as 4 As though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InTeRRoGaToR)
    are most people in this forum from grammar schools....
    cos there are so many people who are from grammar schools cos they are so used to graftin all year round.......even from gettin loadsa hmwk etc
    my cus' grammar schoolers......get about 2 hrs hmwk everynite an they are year10
    i think that A*'s have become too common ........ am i right?

nah i dont go to a grammar school..... i despise them not because i didnt get into one.....because i did pass my 11+ i dont like the way normal secondary schools are protrayed against them........also the ones around where i live the pupils believe they are better than us...whilst we have cut them down to size many times they still believe that......(this is only my opinion of grammar schools, if u take offense im sorry) xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammy_girl)
    nah i dont go to a grammar school..... i despise them not because i didnt get into one.....because i did pass my 11+ i dont like the way normal secondary schools are protrayed against them........also the ones around where i live the pupils believe they are better than us...whilst we have cut them down to size many times they still believe that......(this is only my opinion of grammar schools, if u take offense im sorry) xoxo
    none taken, i go to a grammar school, and hate people in my school exactly like that, lol

ReputationRep:
    Hey, someone else who passed the 11+ and chose not to go to a grammar! :wavey: Some of the grammar school kids where I live are like that too.

ReputationRep:
    i go to a Grammar school or should i say used to lol. Hoemwork wasn't too bad, i didn't get loads, it was managable - you could still have a social life.

ReputationRep:
    lol i didn't find that to be the case at all. I really liked to the school i went to. People were very friendly. Obviosuly you got the odd snobby person, but isn't that the case of all schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    lol i didn't find that to be the case at all. I really liked to the school i went to. People were very friendly. Obviosuly you got the odd snobby person, but isn't that the case of all schools?
    in my school funnily enough....no one walks around snobby at all because they all usually leave within a week or so of being there because they know they cannot get their own way..... its not tolerated in my school and this is me being honest people like that usually dont make friends easily or are left to do their own thing my school caters to most children who live in the country and some who live in the town where it is situated and there isnt really an abundance of people who go to my schol because of its rep (apparently we are wild in it etc....) therefore thats another factor why we have no snobby kids and thats why i like it here.....and i'll do my A-levels there............and maybe after i get my teaching degree i might even teach there lol!!!! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    What's this grudge against grammar schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    jealously that grammer schools have better teaching?? I looked up the pass rate of a private school down the road from my school last night, 60% of their gcse results were A* :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak for myself, but I have nothing against grammar schools. I had the opportunity to go to one and turned it down, just because I believe you can do well whatever school you go to and I thought going to a comprehensive would be better socially, in terms of meeting a wide range of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loopz)
    jealously that grammer schools have better teaching?? I looked up the pass rate of a private school down the road from my school last night, 60% of their gcse results were A* :eek:
    But not all grammars are private... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I can only speak for myself, but I have nothing against grammar schools. I had the opportunity to go to one and turned it down, just because I believe you can do well whatever school you go to and I thought going to a comprehensive would be better socially, in terms of meeting a wide range of people.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    grammars do have a wide range, its just how you interpret it, but i must take into account that my school is in the middle of brum, so prob cant compare with essex

ReputationRep:
    my school doesnt let u back if u dont bet at least 5 bs and wont let u do some subjects if u dont get As

ReputationRep:
    But not all grammars are private... :confused:
    yeah i know but they're still usually better than normal comprehensives.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.