The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

NUS Card/Purple Card

Scroll to see replies

64 Sophia
I'm trying to sign up for a purple card, but I don't know my UCAS Personal ID number.. The only number Lancaster quote in their correspondance was to use when applying for accomodation. I tried it anyway, but to no avail. Anyone know how I'd find it out? Any help would be appreciated!

(Sorry if I'm being a complete spacker)

Didn't you write the UCAS ID down in order to log in to Track?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 41
If you have any letters from UCAS, it'll be on the top of those as well.
Reply 42
How long does it take to receive the card?
Reply 43
bestie

i ordered muine a few weeks ago and they had to print it again as it was lost in the post!
Reply 44
bestie

Mine only took 2/3 days to arrive, was quite surprised at how fast it was :smile:
Reply 45
what sort of photos have people used for their purplecard? i went to buy one the other day and when it asked for a photo i thought bummer i have to go and get passport ones and scan them in, but it says it can have people in the background etc :/ ? anyone got any pointers? cheers :smile:
Holli2011
what sort of photos have people used for their purplecard? i went to buy one the other day and when it asked for a photo i thought bummer i have to go and get passport ones and scan them in, but it says it can have people in the background etc :/ ? anyone got any pointers? cheers :smile:

You could just take a picture of yourself on a webcam.

Or you could pick a picture of you, if you're staring straight at the camera, with people in it. And in the next step it will tell you to crop the picture.

I was being really cheap, and scanned in a picture of me on my young person railcard. Now i've got a passport picture on my computer, and it works a treat :smile:
Reply 47
Mother_Russia
You could just take a picture of yourself on a webcam.

Or you could pick a picture of you, if you're staring straight at the camera, with people in it. And in the next step it will tell you to crop the picture.

I was being really cheap, and scanned in a picture of me on my young person railcard. Now i've got a passport picture on my computer, and it works a treat :smile:

oh right i might do that then, just i have a photograph of myself that is fairly decent, im very slightly on an angle but you can see my face and tell who i am, only thing is theres like people in the background thats all
Reply 48
Mine was on an angle but they still accepted it. As long as they can easily see it's you it should be fine.
Reply 49
bestie
Mine was on an angle but they still accepted it. As long as they can easily see it's you it should be fine.

oh right, decent, il use it then, does that mean they will tell me to send a different picture if its not ok?
Reply 50
does anyone know how much the 3 year nus card costs ?
Reply 51
Original post by ShareenF
does anyone know how much the 3 year nus card costs ?

£36?
Original post by BJP
Right, so I went on the NUS website to order the card.

It redirected me to a LUSU's website to sign up for a "purple card". So do I get a purple card and not an NUS card? Is it possible to get one and not the other? Advice?

Sorry if I'm being retarded. Thanks a lot.

I want to clear up confusion. Purple cards are a form of student ID and are NUS cards, though some places far from Lancaster may take a bit of time identifying the NUS in the corner. The purple card gets you discounts mainly on things in and around Lancaster, though you can also use it for generic student discounts. The biggest difference is you will pay about £1 more per night you go to sugarhouse so if you end up going more than 12 nights in the year you will save money. An NUS Extra card can be used online, for example books on amazon, and is more guaranteed to be accepted as student ID anywhere in the country. This isn't foolproof but many of the "purple exclusive" offers are just "student exclusive" offers and an NUS extra card will suffice, with the exception of things directly operated by LUSU such as the LUSU shop or student union nightclub. Neither will work well abroad.

It used to be the case that you required a purple card to sign up for societies but this is no longer necessary.

Will you go to the student union nightclub after fresher's week?
If yes get a purple card.

Do you need to get things with student discounts online?
If yes get an NUS Extra card.

If you get both then you get a small discount.
Original post by bestie

Probably printed within one working day and posted so maybe 4 days or so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending