Turn on thread page Beta

Foreign Language Students and Revision watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm trying to revise here for my Spanish AS Level which is on the 8th June.

Thing is, I've got a 10 page thing here full of vocab and it's quite specific and hard to learn in a list (i.e.los abonos = fertilizers) :confused: . I just wanted to know if any MFL students had any tips for learning vocab en masse? I was able to do it at GCSE but no more! I really cannot absorb vocab when there are pages and pages of it like this.

ReputationRep:
    (I'm sorry could this be moved to the Modern Foreign Languages section of Academic Help by a mod? I am a fool!)

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I had the same problem with French- I have a book called 'Advanced French Vocabulary' and I was like 'how the hell am I supposed to learn all this???' The simple answer is, you can't. At GCSE it's easy because you don't have that much vocab to learn and you can do it gradually, but at A-level there's no way you can learn everything you could possibly need to know, so you have to be selective. What I did was make a list of general vocab for use in the extended writing question, and then for each topic, I just chose a few words and phrases I thought would almost definitely come up and that I wouldn't remember unless I revised it. The trick is to be able to say what you want in a different way so you can the words you already know.

Out of interest, did you just stop learning French at the end of Year 9 and pick it up again in Year 12? I thought normally when schools offered GCSEs early, they also offered the A-level early, so you would done AS in Year 10 and A2 in Year 11. It must have been really hard picking it up again after not studying it for 2 years. Didn't you forget most of it? Oh, and can I just ask you a few questions about Spanish? What do you think of it? How hard is it compared to French? Do you ever get the 2 languages mixed up? I hope to tale it ab-initio at university next year along with French, so I'm just trying to get as many opinions on it as I can

ReputationRep:
    You should have starte revising for the vocab way before your exams, do you could do a page a day or something...

ReputationRep:
    heres some good random spanish vocab for the exams
    descanse en paz - rest in peace
    ahuecar el ala- spread his wings
    vecino quisquilloso - nit pciker
    no cabe duda que- there is no doubt that

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

(Original post by kellywood_5)
    Out of interest, did you just stop learning French at the end of Year 9 and pick it up again in Year 12? I thought normally when schools offered GCSEs early, they also offered the A-level early, so you would done AS in Year 10 and A2 in Year 11. It must have been really hard picking it up again after not studying it for 2 years. Didn't you forget most of it?
    Hey, yep I did stop learning and using the language in school until Year 12. But, to be honest, I didn't find it hard at all to pick it up again, this is probably because I was using the language a lot outside school (i.e. watching TV5, talking to French people online, etc...)

Oh, and can I just ask you a few questions about Spanish? What do you think of it? How hard is it compared to French? Do you ever get the 2 languages mixed up? I hope to tale it ab-initio at university next year along with French, so I'm just trying to get as many opinions on it as I can
    Spanish is really not that difficult in my opinion and I was able to pick it up in Years 10 and 11. I don't get mixed up easily, the odd time I'll say 'avec' instead of 'con' and minor words like that. In fact, French and Spanish somewhat support each other as many words are similar 'e.g. syndicat is sindicato', 'annonce is anuncio', many more...
    But to be honest I'm not actually that crazy about Spanish, I am getting rather bored if it to be honest. I still love French. Spanish seems a bit dull to me when compared to other languages.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhiddynUK)
    Hey, yep I did stop learning and using the language in school until Year 12. But, to be honest, I didn't find it hard at all to pick it up again, this is probably because I was using the language a lot outside school (i.e. watching TV5, talking to French people online, etc...)

Spanish is really not that difficult in my opinion and I was able to pick it up in Years 10 and 11. I don't get mixed up easily, the odd time I'll say 'avec' instead of 'con' and minor words like that. In fact, French and Spanish somewhat support each other as many words are similar 'e.g. syndicat is sindicato', 'annonce is anuncio', many more...
    But to be honest I'm not actually that crazy about Spanish, I am getting rather bored if it to be honest. I still love French. Spanish seems a bit dull to me when compared to other languages.

Hope this helps.
    Good good, thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Out of interest, did you just stop learning French at the end of Year 9 and pick it up again in Year 12? I thought normally when schools offered GCSEs early, they also offered the A-level early, so you would done AS in Year 10 and A2 in Year 11. It must have been really hard picking it up again after not studying it for 2 years. Didn't you forget most of it?

Oh, and can I just ask you a few questions about Spanish? What do you think of it? How hard is it compared to French? Do you ever get the 2 languages mixed up? I hope to tale it ab-initio at university next year along with French, so I'm just trying to get as many opinions on it as I can
    But to be honest I'm not actually that crazy about Spanish, I am getting rather bored if it to be honest. I still love French. Spanish is starting to seem slightly dull to me when compared to other languages.

Hope this helps.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.