Turn on thread page Beta

How much do psychologists earn? £ £ £ £ £ watch

ReputationRep:
    As much as I'd love to persue a career in psychology the earnings in this field concern me.
    :confused:
    I don't want to spend my life living in debt

How much do psychologists earn in comparison to say...
    the average teacher?
    doctor?
    research scientist?
    geologist?
    etc.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't know yet too much of Britains earning possibilities, but in general, psychologist does not earn a fortune - but enough to do well/okey. I think that's fine for me, cause this is my true passion and I could not think to do anything else.

I understand that people are concearned of money, but can you ever be sure with any subject, really? The most important thing after all is that do you get work? No-one is able to tell you how much YOU will eventually earn - maybe nothing, or maybe a fortune. Thing is, earnings vary a lot depending on what you are doing.

It is also true that psychology is a very competitive field and you have to really want it to do well and have the spirit to fight for it sometimes.

For me it is interesting that you say that you don't want to spend your whole life in debt is hmm, interesting, cause most people do. If you want the house/car/university, you will probably have to be in debt for most of your life any way...So why don't you just work in the field you love?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what field of Psychology you're talking about.

Clinical Psychologists get a £22k salary each year of their 3 year doctorate.
    Upon qualifying they earn ~£25k
    Then payscales after that range from £35k up to £100k depending on position.

If one chooses to go private, their salary would be substantially more.

For comparison, the average salary of:
    Teacher - £19k - £30k
    Junior Doctor - ~£22k for a stupid amount of working hours
    Consultant Doctor within NHS - ~£80k - £100k
    Postdoc Researcher - £19k - £30k
    Geologist - No idea. Probably research position at uni, so not very much.

ReputationRep:
    look on the bps website, it tells you everything you need to know really...

ReputationRep:
    Once qualified as a clinical psychologist, you can earn between £31,072 and £40,964 on Band 7. Consultant clinical psychologists can earn up to £81,618 on Band 8 (c-d). As a head of a psychology service, you can earn up to £98,453 on Band 9. Salary levels outside the NHS will vary depending on your employer.
    Of course this is the UK version. The American version:
    As of 2011, the median yearly wage of clinical psychologists was $73,090, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics. Many factors can influence salary, however, including who's hiring, the setting in which the psychologist works and the geographical area of employment.
    Hope this was of some help to you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 23, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.