The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

what's the student life like in Leeds?

i've decided to apply for Leeds university through registering for adjustment. My initial firm choice was Ofxford Brookes but now i found out that i have better grades and i can go to Leeds. The problem is i have never been to Leeds, can anyone who lives there and studies in the university, say what the atmospehre is like, if you like living there,and generally what are you experiences of being there?
thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Leeds is really friendly, and going by the experiences of others I'd say Leeds is one of the best student cities there is. The social life tends to be split into 2 halves, people who are into their dance music go to the clubs like Oceania, tiger tiger, halo, gatecrasher etc, and those of us into our rock music go to the dry dock, carpe diem, fab cafe, the cockpit etc. There are loads of inbetween bars as well, mostly reasonably cheap with loads of offers on.
Public transport in the city is mega, Leeds runs a free city bus to a lot of places. Leeds city council also puts on loads of free festivals and events throughout the year.
The uni itself is amazing, I believe it has the highest rated student union in the country, and that's a well deserved title. From my experience there are no cliques or unpleasantness among the students, everyone wants to get along.
The lecturers tend to be genuinely interested in the welfare of their students (not sure how true this is across the board, but it's certainly true for humanities)
I have had the time of my life since moving to Leeds from Nottingham, if there's anything specific you want to know just ask :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I'm not a student in Leeds, but I only live 20 minutes away and I can safely say that you'll have a fantastic social life if you like bars and clubs. I gatecrash the student nights all the time, and they're always fantastic (and cheap, as long as you don't go to Oceana aka Ripoffville).
Reply 3
I don't go to the uni but I do live in Leeds - most people are pretty friendly and the nightlife is immense! Thursday nights are the best and going out can be very cheap - especially Oceana on a thursday with free entry and 90p drinks all night.
Im going to Leeds in September, I have only visited the city twice but compared to other cities ive been to it seemed the best prepared and geared towards students.

I dont know statistics but its proportion population of students is huge with so many colleges and unis in one city.

Im very excited to be going and I think you made a great choice. Soz cant help you much without the experiences yet but they say theres more beds for students than students in Leeds. Lots of private companies building accomodation at high standard and sub letting it to the Uni. Leeds Uni itself being the most renown in the city is the trend setter so I think you will have a great time as I expect to myself also.
Reply 5
Nooptheloop
Leeds is really friendly, and going by the experiences of others I'd say Leeds is one of the best student cities there is. The social life tends to be split into 2 halves, people who are into their dance music go to the clubs like Oceania, tiger tiger, halo, gatecrasher etc, and those of us into our rock music go to the dry dock, carpe diem, fab cafe, the cockpit etc. There are loads of inbetween bars as well, mostly reasonably cheap with loads of offers on.
Public transport in the city is mega, Leeds runs a free city bus to a lot of places. Leeds city council also puts on loads of free festivals and events throughout the year.
The uni itself is amazing, I believe it has the highest rated student union in the country, and that's a well deserved title. From my experience there are no cliques or unpleasantness among the students, everyone wants to get along.
The lecturers tend to be genuinely interested in the welfare of their students (not sure how true this is across the board, but it's certainly true for humanities)
I have had the time of my life since moving to Leeds from Nottingham, if there's anything specific you want to know just ask :smile:

that sounds great , also as i am interested in doing sports, are there any sports facilities that are availible for students? for example, swimming, dance classes and similiar ....
Leeds is a very nice place to live. I've lived here for 22 years :smile: The university is nice as well.

Nice is such a rubbish adjective, sorry, I'm not being very creatively descriptive lol
Sports Facilities, I did some research on. Its got tonne more than most unis and is very sporting competitive. £55 year for the Uni u get like racquet sports free and 50p per visit to the gym and loada other stuff. Think it was £95 for everything unlimited including being able to hire like a whole sport field out everyonce in a while. Cud be wrong as I have not been, asides from the Uni facilities some of the accomodations have pools and gyms.

IVe sat and been thru every society registered with the Uni and it took me hours there is so much to do from what ive researched and heard. I really would not worry this will be the best time of ur life and u will be more active than ever Im so sure of it hehe :biggrin:

There building new sports stuff and some swimming pool I think I read also. Dance classes theres probs a club for every type of dance lol honestly stop fretting :wink: If its all wrong come have serious words with me I'll be at Concept Place feel free to bang my door down and tell me I was wrong :biggrin:
Leeds is the student city
Reply 9
Moonbeam1991
Sports Facilities, I did some research on. Its got tonne more than most unis and is very sporting competitive. £55 year for the Uni u get like racquet sports free and 50p per visit to the gym and loada other stuff. Think it was £95 for everything unlimited including being able to hire like a whole sport field out everyonce in a while. Cud be wrong as I have not been, asides from the Uni facilities some of the accomodations have pools and gyms.

IVe sat and been thru every society registered with the Uni and it took me hours there is so much to do from what ive researched and heard. I really would not worry this will be the best time of ur life and u will be more active than ever Im so sure of it hehe :biggrin:

There building new sports stuff and some swimming pool I think I read also. Dance classes theres probs a club for every type of dance lol honestly stop fretting :wink: If its all wrong come have serious words with me I'll be at Concept Place feel free to bang my door down and tell me I was wrong :biggrin:

It sounds like there are plenty of opportunities,:smile: i assume the university will also let me know about them. Thanks :smile:
omg we're gonna get so overwhelmed with things during freshers..!
eeek i am now excited again hehe

but yeah from what ppl at leeds have said it's fantastic and there's something for everyone...i don't think u'll be bored!
and i know that there is a big gym thing somewhere in leeds - i passed it on a mini hike of the city... :p: and there is a gym thing inside the uni campus.

and the nightclub...in a church...wtf!?! :biggrin:
I'm thinking of applying for Leeds Met this year, I dont want to go somewhere too far from home, and I have heard the night life is good which is what Im looking for along side my desired course.
Reply 12
really northern, yo:holmes:
Reply 13
I'm at Leeds at the moment - now a second year studying English. And I love it! The city is amazing. There is so much variety. You've got a wide range of bars in the town, and pubs in Headingley, which is a particularly studenty area. Nights out range from dance clubs to rock clubs and the Union also puts on amazing nights which sell-out weekly.

The Union itself has everything you can want - in fact it was just voted no.1 in the country. It has a wide variety of clubs and things to get involved in, which you get to know all about during the Fresher's Fair in 1st week.

rose_3
that sounds great , also as i am interested in doing sports, are there any sports facilities that are availible for students? for example, swimming, dance classes and similiar ....

There are loads of clubs and societies dedicated to doing specific sports. My friends were part of a wind-surfing club and regularly went on trips to lakes, and once to Newquay, i think. They also run a ski trip every year, which is meant to be AMAZING.

At the moment, sports facilities are more limited. Fields for playing football, rugby etc. are up near Bodington Hall accomodation, and everyone gets Wednesday afternoons off so they can participate. At the moment, the fitness suite is situated in Cromer Terrace which is right next to the union, but this gets really busy at peak times. That's because they're currently building a massive fitness complex, so had to move everything around whilst they built it. The fitness complex is on campus and includes a climbing wall, swimming pool and gym and will be ready in Spring 2010.

Prices for this range, and you get to learn about them when you register for your course. It's £55 and you can use everything but pay a 50p charge everythime you use the gym facilities, pilates classes and something else which i can't remember. Or you can pay £95 one off fee and pay nothing else for the year. Depends how active you are, as to which one works out cheaper. Also don't feel pressurised into buying a membership when you register. It's easy to do when you're at the uni, and then you'll know if you have buddies that will go with you.

Any other questions just let me know.
OMFG yea the first thing me and my gf noticed was the gothic converted church :biggrin: AWESOME crazy kooky idea and theres some lounge open long hours on the back I believe right next to the uni!
Savage.
I cant wait for me & me bf to move to Leeds! Iv already started packing even though we arent moving til the 11th i think lol :P that gothic night club place looked really cool & i saw a lot of other places that looked really amazing! Im thinking of joining a streetdancing group but im not sure if theres anything nearby :frown: i guess il have to explore everywhere when we get there lol :smile: it would also be really cool if there was an iceskating rink nearby :biggrin: always wanted to try iceskating lol!
rose_3

When I had a student-led tour on an open day, my guide was telling us about her dance groups (I think she did street). She said that there are loads of dancing clubs, and a huge variety of sports (including skiing), so I'm sure you'll find somewhere to dance :biggrin:
Random question but does anyone know where the nearest themepark from leeds is? x
Reply 19
xxLilStarfirexx
Random question but does anyone know where the nearest themepark from leeds is? x

http://www.lightwatervalley.co.uk/

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest