Turn on thread page Beta

hi im a kid in year 9 im 14 but ive got to choose what i want to do for my gcse's please help me i need to know what i need to do to become a doctor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by small_dude_2000)
    hi im a kid in year 9 im 14 but ive got to choose what i want to do for my gcse's please help me i need to know what i need to do to become a doctor
    Triple science, thats advisable.
    Then you have to pick two more subjects sooooo it's up to you really.
    As long as you have your science, then you should be fine. Doctors are in demand so there's no problem.

ReputationRep:
    u need to do sciences at a-levels. u can pick what u want at gcse coz it has no relevance to bein a doctor or not, coz u have to do science anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i dont any options connect wiv becoming a doctor ( unless they're different in u'r school)

it's best to choose one acedemic subject ( like history) and one practical subject(like art)

ReputationRep:
    in your year it doesnt matter what subjects you take, also science is compulsory which is really all you need and Maths thats compulsory too. So you dont need to worry. Choose wht you like. At A-Level is when it matters. You may want to choose things that may be relevant though like ICT possibly.

ReputationRep:
    so watcha gonna choose...........small dude!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    one practical subject(like art)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    so watcha gonna choose...........small dude!!
    lol.

Oh btw, to whoever says it doesn't matter at GCSE as long as you do A-Level, I disagree. You need to do GCSE to get some pre-knowledge of the subject. You don't want to be going into a large and complicated subject without GCSE knowledge. They don't really count when entering uni but are needed.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend PE because you have to learn quite a lot about the human body which would be quite good. You dont even have to that good at the practical either coz I wasnt and I still got an A. Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to eventually get into medical school then it is important that you get good grades at GCSE. Therefore pick subjects you are interested in as you are more likely to do well in them if they interest you. Particular subjects don't matter at GCSE level but I agree with gemgems that you should do triple science (as well as an extra GCSE, it prepares you better for A-Level).

When you get round to A-Levels, Chemistry is a must and Biology is advisable.

You may also want to start considering work experience in the health care sector as this is almost a requirement for medical school these days. Maybe think about joining St.Johns and becoming a quaified first aider so you can help out at local events.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Though people say GCSEs are not important, some are requirements or A-level.

So if you wanted to do A-level French or History, you would need to do that at GCSE. The same is not true for Psychology and the like, but bare that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    If you want to eventually get into medical school then it is important that you get good grades at GCSE. Therefore pick subjects you are interested in as you are more likely to do well in them if they interest you. Particular subjects don't matter at GCSE level but I agree with gemgems that you should do triple science (as well as an extra GCSE, it prepares you better for A-Level).

When you get round to A-Levels, Chemistry is a must and Biology is advisable.

You may also want to start considering work experience in the health care sector as this is almost a requirement for medical school these days. Maybe think about joining St.Johns and becoming a quaified first aider so you can help out at local events.

Hope this helps.
    When you say good grades - iike 3 A*s and the rest As?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    When you say good grades - iike 3 A*s and the rest As?
    That is more than good enough - far better than I have although I will be applying for graduate entry into med school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Though people say GCSEs are not important, some are requirements or A-level.

So if you wanted to do A-level French or History, you would need to do that at GCSE. The same is not true for Psychology and the like, but bare that in mind.
    You can do history A level without doing it for GCSE

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.