OCR B (Advancing Physics) - Section C Watch

This discussion is closed.
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ljfrugn)
I dont think there'll be a standing waves thing in Sec. C this time, because there was in Jan.
doh, hopefully there is, cos thats one of the ones i know well :s:
good luck everybody for tomorrow. I'm taking both UP and FA as resits again. :rolleyes:
midzt
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Hope thats right. I'm useless at standing waves. If one does come up I'm going to do the one with the tube that you place half in half out of water. :rolleyes:
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SunGod87)
I wish I got a pink booklet telling me what to revise. The one I had only has information on a topic we will be questioned on for PART of the paper
lol, u can basically judge what they are gonna ask from the booklet!
samd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rmyl)
doh, hopefully there is, cos thats one of the ones i know well :s:
good luck everybody for tomorrow. I'm taking both UP and FA as resits again. :rolleyes:
What do you do for it?

Kundt's Tube? An Organ Pipe? A String?
Stunt girl
Report 13 years ago
Does anyone know what sections Cs came up for the physics in action paper in jan 2005? Anyone got any predictions on what the section Cs could be for PIA this time round?
Magician
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Stunt girl)
Does anyone know what sections Cs came up for the physics in action paper in jan 2005? Anyone got any predictions on what the section Cs could be for PIA this time round?

You shouldnt worry about that. Wave superposition and the quantum observation are always favorite ones that they ask (for paper 2).

But you can relate most of the topics to your coursework that you did. (I did a sensing, a superposition on string and a research report on materials last year).

You are lucky doing OCR B physics. It is very easy to get a good grade.

edit: stunt girl, did you sit the "Rise and fall of the clockwork of the universe" paper in january?
Stunt girl
Report 13 years ago
Thanx for your help, but I'm not doing paper two. I'm resitting only physics in action to increase my marks. So, does anone know what came up in section C in PIA in Jan 2005 or have any predictions of what may come up this year?

Oh and yes, I did take the 'Rise & Fall of the clockwork universe' paper in jan.
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagician)
You are lucky doing OCR B physics. It is very easy to get a good grade.
LOL, i'm glad you agree
SunGod87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Jan 2005 was Imaging and Materials.

Anyone got a pic of glass' internal structure? Need a scale for it as well and reasons as to why glass being brittle and transparent (or having a low refractive index) are due to it's internal structure.
riddles55
Report 13 years ago
theres a pic of internal structure of glass on pg 107 of the advancing physics as text book, it also goes on to explain the transparency in terms of amorphous structure etc
HollyJa
Report 13 years ago
Hi, just read through the thread. doing my exam tomorrow and a bit worried about the following things now, could somebody PLEASE answer these for me;

1.What is the formulae for the standing wave experiement with the frequency generator?

2. What is the ULTRA VIOLET CATASTROPTE effect to do with quantum behaviour?

Thanks
Stunt girl
Report 13 years ago
Cheers SunGod87

If you have to draw a scale for the internal structure of glass, wouldn't it be ok to put approx. 01.nm diameter for each atom (that's what it says on pp106 of the advancing physics AS textbook). I'm not sure if I'm right, but gathering from the textbook I think glass is transparent because of it's uniform amorphous structure, thus everywhere in it has the same refractive index and there are also no free electrons to scatter light photons.
SunGod87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
riddles55, Stunt girl:

I think I'm going blind, can't believe I didn't see those pages earlier while looking through the text book. Now I bet it won't even come up in Section C tomorrow

Anyways, good luck everyone
Robob
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does ne1 have an example of measuring acceleration, can't think of why u would want 2. Anyway good luck everyone
Magician
Report 13 years ago
Someone asked for standing wave formula. Method + formula here: -

http://bama.ua.edu/~jharrell/PH105-S..._wave_expt.htm
superliew
Report 13 years ago
does aneyone know the formule we need to know for the photoeletric effect?
Magician
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by superliew)

E = hf - phi

where phi is the work function (i.e. the minimum energy required to release 1 electron from the material. Its usually of the order of a few eV).
dinkymints
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by superliew)
hf>phi, surely?
And any excess energy becomes KE for the electron.
Magician
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dinkymints)
hf>phi, surely?
And any excess energy becomes KE for the electron.
thats not a formula :p:
Robob
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeh, its hf = 1/2mv^2 + x , x is the minimum energy needed to produce a photoelectron, actual symbol is 'phi' but dunno how to make one of them, hf is the energy of the photon, and 1/2mv^2 is the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectron
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1380)
79.49%
Leave (356)
20.51%

Watched Threads