The Student Room Group

How to make friends in college

I'm starting college in september and i worried about making friends. I'm really shy. And really don't know what to start to say or when to go up to someone at the right time :o: to start talking. What should i start talking about. Any tips and advice :eek: PLX

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anonymous
I'm starting college in september and i worried about making friends. I'm really shy. And really don't know what to start to say or when to go up to someone at the right time :o: to start talking. What should i start talking about. Any tips and advice :eek: PLX

ANYONE ^^ plx
Just be yourself, talk about what interests you and there is no reason why you will not find people that are similar to you. Just try and be as confident as possible. Alot of people will be in the same boat as you, so it should be fine dont worry. :smile:
tom_tom_tom
Just be yourself, talk about what interests you and there is no reason why you will not find people that are similar to you. Just try and be as confident as possible. Alot of people will be in the same boat as you, so it should be fine dont worry. :smile:

But I find it hard to even go up to people. I have tried university once (they put me on the wrong course in something totally different, so I only lasted 2 months).

It seemed liked everyone knew each other when I was there. They were all chatting in their little circles.

:frown:
Reply 4
Anonymous
But I find it hard to even go up to people. I have tried university once (they put me on the wrong course in something totally different, so I only lasted 2 months).

It seemed liked everyone knew each other when I was there. They were all chatting in their little circles.

:frown:

that sounds horrible
Reply 5
Um, may I ask you how you made friends in primary and secondary school?
Reply 6
Say "Hi".
goldsilvy

A lot of mine came from the wonder of sorting a class into their seats by surname alphabetically :awesome:
Reply 8
goldsilvy

Imaginary friends don't count :argh:
Reply 9
I was in that position last year when i started college, at first i figured everyone knew each other but on the contrary, most people were in the same position as me. Most places do ice breakers which seem daunting, but help confidence :smile: When you're in class, keep a good sense of humour & be open with your personality :smile: They would appreciate you being genuine.
I hope this helps :smile: x
I think if you go their worrying desperately about fitting in and making friends, you won't make too many, and those you do won't know you too well. Conversations start inevitably. The starting the conversation is often the most difficult part, but it's college so you know there are some similarities. It can just be asking what subjects they are doing, or even whether they know anyone in the room. The latter occassionally gets a nervous laugh as they learn they're not the only one.

You say hi, they either chat and congrats you've made a friend, or they don't and you've lost nothing.
Reply 11
BibblyBobbly
I think if you go their worrying desperately about fitting in and making friends, you won't make too many, and those you do won't know you too well. Conversations start inevitably. The starting the conversation is often the most difficult part, but it's college so you know there are some similarities. It can just be asking what subjects they are doing, or even whether they know anyone in the room. The latter occassionally gets a nervous laugh as they learn they're not the only one.

You say hi, they either chat and congrats you've made a friend, or they don't and you've lost nothing.

that was really helpful thanks
I've been thinking about this too, since I'm also starting this fall. A fail-proof approach seems to be; stay calm, act like your usual self, look approachable - if you're usually shy, add to that a little extra effort at making conversation - you should be fine.
Anonymous
that was really helpful thanks

Great! :biggrin:

I understand how difficult it can be.
Reply 14
They will make you do "ice breakers" where you have one on one chats, groups discussions etc on the first day. Join enrichment groups and take opportunities as they come.

You tend to make friends in the classes you're in, and from there you create a network of friends.
I wouldnt recommend stopping people on the coridoor to start a conversation, but you'll gradually get to know everyone through your links with other friends within the first few months.

Thing is about college it's not like school at all, you dont have to strive to be popular and most of the time you can just be yourself.

Oh and don't actively seek approval from others. In other words, when in a conversation don't think "I hope this person likes me", instead start evaluating the other person and what they are bringing to the conversation. Simple changes of thought like this can make a big difference in your confidence.
Reply 15
I'm starting college in Sept too. I'm just going to go in there and be myself. Not let on im dead nervous lol
I'm sure you'll be alright dude
Reply 16
Join a lot enrichment programmes that you enjoy as you'll have a higher chance of meeting people that will be similar to you (likes and dislikes). I'm quite shy myself but you've just to try be confident (or at least look confident) and it'll be fine. A lot of people will be in a similar situation and some of them will be shy, just like you.
Very easy pick a guy focus on him all the time and when you feel you shall lose him try and approach him the way you like and find out if it worked i shall not worry like that cause i make friends instantly j.kidding.. Remember don't sound urgent you may lose him otherwise chill.. laterz...
(edited 13 years ago)
Very easy pick a guy focus on him all the time and when you feel you shall lose him try and approach him the way you like and find out if it worked i shall not worry like that cause i make friends instantly j.kidding.. Remember don't sound urgent you may lose him otherwise chill.. laterz...
Reply 19
I am the same thing I don`t know if new students will want to be friends with me I am very nervous and very scared about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending