The Student Room Group

Law Applications/Offers Thread 2010

Welcome to the Law Applications / Offers Thread for all those applying for 2010! :woo:

I'm in the process of completing the attached grid with all details of Law applicants. If you're applying, either quote me or send a private message, and I'll update the list with your details as soon as I can.

Make sure you include:
1. The course you're applying for
2. The date you sent off your UCAS
3. The date of your LNAT and the LNAT results, where and when applicable
4. Your university choices

Whenever you receive a reply, please include:
1. The date of the reply
2. Any conditions attached, where applicable

When you've made your final decision as to your firm and insurance universities, notify me, and they will also be added to the grid.

Feel free to have a good chit-chat about the tests, interviews and universities, as well as sending congratulations and consolances. And if I've missed off any details or got something wrong, please just let me know! :yep:

:love:

Law Applicants Information Grid:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this thread should be a sticky.
I am off for newcastle univeristy with AAAAD lol obviosuly retaking the D so don't know whether I can make it to be honest?
Reply 3
Got an A at A-Level geography (the full thing, oh yes :biggrin:)
B's in german and history.
Taking A level lit in a year for year 13.
*Should* Get AAAB overall (resitting some AS).

Anyone here thinking of doing a Law+German LLB?
Reply 4
Tha_Black_Shinobi
Applying for Law in 2010. Got AABC in my As results yesterday. dropping the C and retaking the B in january. gonna apply with an AAA prediction. Just wondering what unis mean when they talk about retakes. I read that KCL and Nottingham dont accept retakes. By retakes do they mean someone who retakes one or more modules at the A2 year or someone who flops in their ASs and decides to retake the whole year

I thought they meant whole year or a whole AS level, but I could well be wrong - e-mail the admissions tutors for clarification! :smile: With an AAA prediction, you shouldn't have much trouble! :smile:
Reply 5
beatleboar
I am off for newcastle univeristy with AAAAD lol obviosuly retaking the D so don't know whether I can make it to be honest?

You'll be more than fine! You have four As! To be honest, if you couldn't be bothered to retake, you could just keep the four on and leave the D and it wouldn't make much difference! I liked the amount of optional modules Newcastle's course had - but it's just too far away :frown:
Reply 6
I wanted to do Law 2010 but I might have to apply in 2011 :frown:
My grades weren't too good. My plan was to retake the whole year in one of my subjects, but if I carry it on to A2 (so im in 6th form for a 3rd year) will the unis have to know that I did it the first time and flopped? I is a little worried...
Reply 7
Hafsaay
I wanted to do Law 2010 but I might have to apply in 2011 :frown:
My grades weren't too good. My plan was to retake the whole year in one of my subjects, but if I carry it on to A2 (so im in 6th form for a 3rd year) will the unis have to know that I did it the first time and flopped? I is a little worried...

:O Don't worry! Is there no way you can bring your grades up with retakes? We'll be optimistic, and I'll add you to the list anyway! :smile:
Reply 8
going to apply for law, AS results are AAAAAB for maths, econ, bio, chem, chinese and critical thinking. think i'm going to leave critical thinking out of ucas :P only thing i'm worried about is that my subjects are too sciencey, i know unis say it doesnt matter but i still feel deep down it does matter a lil! and i'm thinking of dropping either chemistry or biology.. any suggestions? i got nearly the same UMS for both, thanks xx
i will be applying for Law (:
AAABD in AS - dropping Chemistry because it really doesn't agree with me! resitting a module in maths to get that up to an A
applying with either an A*A*AA or AAAA prediction, school haven't decided if they are going to predict them yet
universities i am thinking of are in my sig (LSE is for Law&Anthropology)
Reply 10
xscaape
going to apply for law, AS results are AAAAAB for maths, econ, bio, chem, chinese and critical thinking. think i'm going to leave critical thinking out of ucas :P only thing i'm worried about is that my subjects are too sciencey, i know unis say it doesnt matter but i still feel deep down it does matter a lil! and i'm thinking of dropping either chemistry or biology.. any suggestions? i got nearly the same UMS for both, thanks xx

Congratulations on your results! They're ace!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can leave anything out of UCAS if you've achieved it - unless its a U. And a B is nothing at all to be ashamed of!
I don't think it matters at all if you've only done sciency subjects - a lot of the top universities can look at your LNAT or Law Test essay if they are concerned about your written skills, and I know plenty of people who have got into top unis with just science subjects. Firstly - why drop any?! Secondly, drop which ever one you enjoy less, clearly if you're able to do that well, you'll achieve in either of them, and as it doesn't matter which you choose for law, you may as well do the one you enjoy the most. Finally - if you're still concerned about a written subject, why not take up a written subject like Literature or History at AS next year after dropping Chemistry or Biology. Or drop both Chemistry and Biology, and take the AS and A2 of a written subject in one year. So many options! But you're in such a good position with your grades, you can basically do anything you want! :smile:
Reply 11
So how much do AS results actually matter? I got 2Bs at AS but an A already at A-level. I'm resitting the 2 Bs (as I'm just a few marks of the A) whilst doing the A2. Then I'm doing English Lit in a year...
My teachers are still predicting me AAA (plus my confirmed A at A level) is AAAA.
Would my AS results hold me back at all?
Reply 12
haaaza23
So how much do AS results actually matter? I got 2Bs at AS but an A already at A-level. I'm resitting the 2 Bs (as I'm just a few marks of the A) whilst doing the A2. Then I'm doing English Lit in a year...
My teachers are still predicting me AAA (plus my confirmed A at A level) is AAAA.

Doubtful... unless you look at some universities who really don't like retakes. But even then, you may not have to retake much, if at all, to get those Bs up to As. And Bs aren't bad anyway! Of course your AS grades are relevant - they show your capable - but they really do look at your predicted grades, and the fact you've got an A already shows that you're good academically :smile:
Reply 13
haaaza23

When a university states they don't accept "retakes" that means the retaking of a whole year not a few modules. with AAA predictions, an A a year early and relatively strong AS grades you do stand an excellent chance at most of the top law schools. I've seen your personal statement too, I don't think you will have too many worries. :smile:
Reply 14
becbec :)
Doubtful... unless you look at some universities who really don't like retakes. But even then, you may not have to retake much, if at all, to get those Bs up to As. And Bs aren't bad anyway! Of course your AS grades are relevant - they show your capable - but they really do look at your predicted grades, and the fact you've got an A already shows that you're good academically :smile:

I thought having one or two retakes isn't so bad, i thought universities who didn't like retakes meant retaking the entire year?
Reply 15
Small123
I thought having one or two retakes isn't so bad, i thought universities who didn't like retakes meant retaking the entire year?

That's right.
Reply 16
goooood luck 2010-entry law applicants... all the best!

who's applying for law at kcl by the way for 2010 entry?
Reply 17
gi.
who's applying for law at kcl by the way for 2010 entry?

mee!
Reply 18
Small123

I think one Cambridge Admissions tutor told me they didn't want to see any retakes. But yeh, you're right, it's the entire year universities don't like - I got a bit confused! :smile:
Reply 19
becbec :)
I think one Cambridge Admissions tutor told me they didn't want to see any retakes. But yeh, you're right, it's the entire year universities don't like - I got a bit confused! :smile:

Oh right ok :smile:. Do Cambridge ever reject candidates for the fact that they have done retakes do you know (any subject)?

Latest

Trending

Trending