Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lord Huntroyde "It is up to the people who they elect - that is democracy. The Queen represents the countries undemocratic and class-driven past."

Seeing as we cannot even manage electing our Parliament fairly (we use FPTP), i don't see how we would be able to elect a head of state and what is actually wrong with a head of state with latent legitimacy. An elected head of state would be worse as he (doubt it would be a she[isn't that another reasn to keep the monarchy-no longer sexist]) would want power and would have 'democracy' on his side. There would also be power struggles between the HoS and Parliament, Indonesia etc

What is actually wonderful about representative democracy anyway, the people get to vote once every four years. Even the talk to the people 'big conversation' has already been revealed to be a fix.

ps who would u vote for in an Election

I'd just like to point out that those people who think the Queen sits around all day doing nothing are just plain wrong.

Also, I would guess that the royals do bring in more money through tourism than they cost us. However, in my opinion this does not justify the existence of the monarchy. I do not beleive the country should be giving these people wealth and positions of power simply by right of birth. By letting the royal family continue to rule we are effectively accepting that they are our superiors. Even if they have recently attempted to dispel this image, it is inherent in the monarchial system. I do not beleive we should blindly follow the past in this way just for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    the queen has a lot of experience in current affairs-shes read every state report since 1955 i think or something stupid

PM has a weekly meeting with her, her advice has been said to be invaluable by past Pms

shes met winston churchill and other inspiritonal people of the past blah blah...

the monarchy has existed for ages, if anything its a link to our past/heritage

they are a symbol to national pride, look how many people mourned diana and the queen mother. also other countries envy our monarchy, especially the americans

getting rid of the monarchy would mean having a president type person, people are scared of what tony blair can get away with nowadays, god knows what it would be like with a president.

cromwell tried to rule without the monarchy, he failed.

on the other hand

they are inbred

symbolise the old ruling class elite that most people despise

etc etc

ps, i started writing this an hour ago or so, but then went off for tea and had a shower, so thats why if this stuff has already been said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    the queen has a lot of experience in current affairs-shes read every state report since 1955 i think or something stupid

PM has a weekly meeting with her, her advice has been said to be invaluable by past Pms

shes met winston churchill and other inspiritonal people of the past blah blah...

the monarchy has existed for ages, if anything its a link to our past/heritage

they are a symbol to national pride, look how many people mourned diana and the queen mother. also other countries envy our monarchy, especially the americans

getting rid of the monarchy would mean having a president type person, people are scared of what tony blair can get away with nowadays, god knows what it would be like with a president.

cromwell tried to rule without the monarchy, he failed.

on the other hand

they are inbred

symbolise the old ruling class elite that most people despise

etc etc

ps, i started writing this an hour ago or so, but then went off for tea and had a shower, so thats why if this stuff has already been said!
    it's always nice when u suddenly have the urge to take a shower when talking about the queen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    Even if they have recently attempted to dispel this image, it is inherent in the monarchial system. I do not beleive we should blindly follow the past in this way just for the sake of it.
    wats wrong with the past - if it aint broke dont bother fixin it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    it's always nice when u suddenly have the urge to take a shower when talking about the queen
    Or female shot-putters <shudders>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    wats wrong with the past - if it aint broke dont bother fixin it
    Well I think it's broke. All our tax money goes to what exactly? And British tourism isn't all that great anyway.

ReputationRep:
    keep the royal family... all spare power goes to the queen, not evil tony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Or female shot-putters <shudders>
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Well I think it's broke. All our tax money goes to what exactly? And British tourism isn't all that great anyway.
    you have an unhealthy obsession with female shot putters and i bet u also like Cold War vintage Russian female athletes. I'd say the NHS is a bigger waste of money than the Queen, but thats an opinion. Get rid of unnecessary caesarians and stuff and then you can get rid of the Queen (once the waste-Big Conversation anyone has gone)

Well I think it's broke.
    Exactly. It is broke but people are reluctant to mend it because of tradition.

ReputationRep:
    not really all taxpayers money, royal land rents pay for some of it.

but i do agree thats it an unfair/undemocratic system

and the shower comment, if i get the gist of what you meant there eaggghhh

if u had smelt me before i had a shower you would have agreed i needed 1!

(Original post by edders)
    keep the royal family... all spare power goes to the queen, not evil tony
    As much as I dislike Tony Blair, I very much doubt any reduction in his power is significant enough to warrent keeping the queen.

ReputationRep:
    "The Queen is the United Kingdom's Head of State. As well as carrying out significant constitutional functions, The Queen also acts as a focus for national unity, presiding at ceremonial occasions, visiting local communities and representing Britain around the world. The Queen is also Head of the Commonwealth. During her reign she has visited all the Commonwealth countries, going on 'walkabouts' to gain direct contact with people from all walks of life throughout the world.

The Queen has many different duties to perform every day. Some are familiar public duties, such as Investitures, ceremonies, receptions or visits within the United Kingdom or abroad. Away from the cameras, however, The Queen's work goes on. It includes reading letters from the public, official papers and briefing notes; audiences with political ministers or ambassadors; and meetings with her Private Secretaries to discuss her future diary plans. No two days are ever the same and The Queen must remain prepared throughout."

(Original post by JSM)
    I'd say the NHS is a bigger waste of money than the Queen
    Probably, but that's beside the point.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I think the Royal Family should stay is because they are a bit of a tourist attraction. They bring tourists into London and places like Balmoral etc etc BECAUSE the Royal Family live there. If they do not continue to be a moneyspinner then off with their heads I say

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.