The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where did you read that? :eek: I'm sure that only applies for science courses. :redface:
Reply 2
My head of 6th form said, but other people have told me different..I might just contact some random uni and ask...
Reply 3
Markus505
My head of 6th form said, but other people have told me different..I might just contact some random uni and ask...

I see. Yeah, I think you should contact the uni for a definate answer. I don't understand why GCSE science will be an entry requirement along with A-levels. :confused:
Reply 4
Yeah, well Cs in english lang and maths yeah, but i dont understand why they require a C in science for GCSE either..
Reply 5
Markus505
Yeah, well Cs in english lang and maths yeah, but i dont understand why they require a C in science for GCSE either..

Ask your head of 6th form where he got that news from.
Markus505

I don't understand why they require maths. How is that necessary for arts subjects?
Damn GCSE Maths *shakes fist*, aren't A levels enough for you people :wink:
Reply 8
A lot of universities don't care less about your GCSEs, its your A levels they are interested in.
Reply 9
A lot of unis won't ask for a C in Maths unless you're applying for a science course (or quantitative social science). Maybe that will change... Who knows...
fivebyfive
Damn GCSE Maths *shakes fist*, aren't A levels enough for you people :wink:

hehe...very true! Through tons of blood, sweat and tears on my part I scraped a C at GCSE, but I absolutely loathed the subject. Several of my friends have had to endure resits, (quite a few want to go into teaching) and I'm so thankful that I don't have to take a maths paper again! :smile:
Reply 11
AT82
A lot of universities don't care less about your GCSEs, its your A levels they are interested in.

The unis that aren't bothered will, I would imagine be undersubscibed with lots of offers at clearing.
Reply 12
Good uni's will take into account on GCSEs, but they would concentrate on A-levels more. If you have medicore GCSE grades and good A-levels grades, you will still get offers.
Reply 13
Thats what i though, but apparently with most if not all unis will say you cant apply for any course until you get a C, i mean i'll get a C in maths, but i hate science, and i resent revising for it, i dont do much, and if i dont get CC in double science and cant go to uni i'll be p****d off
White_redrose
hehe...very true! Through tons of blood, sweat and tears on my part I scraped a C at GCSE, but I absolutely loathed the subject. Several of my friends have had to endure resits, (quite a few want to go into teaching) and I'm so thankful that I don't have to take a maths paper again! :smile:

Lol same here! :smile: One of my friends will be resitting in November because she wants to teach and I feel so sorry for her. I felt really mean celebrating my B on results day when all of my friends got Ds.
Reply 15
kellywood_5
Lol same here! :smile: One of my friends will be resitting in November because she wants to teach and I feel so sorry for her. I felt really mean celebrating my B on results day when all of my friends got Ds.

Same here. I just scrapped a B by 3 marks. Students can pass maths at grade C or above, as the questions are similar or sometimes exactly worded, but they change the number obviously. Therefore, doing many past papers will be the key to getting a grade C or above.
*joins the grateful "passed maths" brigade* :wink:

Still can't believe my b**** of a maths teacher put me in for higher tier :eek: still can't believe I got a pass... Never did a C look so sweet :p: Unlike some of my friends who freaked out at 1 or 2 Bs "muddying" their straight As ( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) then and now I just give thanks that I'm not one of the poor b*****s resitting it... about 2 marks saved me, lol. In fact, I think it's quite fun having a C - no-one can figure you out or classify you if you get a clutch of A*s and As then...a C! Just makes things a bit more interesting.

am in uber-babble mode sorry :redface:
Reply 17
MrsJones
The unis that aren't bothered will, I would imagine be undersubscibed with lots of offers at clearing.

Or maybe they just regonise that the fact that peoples circumstances change.
Most uni's want at least a grade C in English for any course, Maths for anything other than arts I imagine. The C Grade in Science is only if you want to teach, you must have basic skills in English, Maths and Science and that counds as a grade C or above (Even thought you have to do tests in them for your QTS anyway). It something like those born after 1980 (or some other year) must have Grade C Science to do a teaching degree or PGCE.
*Bethany*
*joins the grateful "passed maths" brigade* :wink:

Still can't believe my b**** of a maths teacher put me in for higher tier :eek: still can't believe I got a pass... Never did a C look so sweet :p: Unlike some of my friends who freaked out at 1 or 2 Bs "muddying" their straight As ( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) then and now I just give thanks that I'm not one of the poor b*****s resitting it... about 2 marks saved me, lol. In fact, I think it's quite fun having a C - no-one can figure you out or classify you if you get a clutch of A*s and As then...a C! Just makes things a bit more interesting.

am in uber-babble mode sorry :redface:

Hehe, uber-babble mode is great! :smile:
Lol, we should form a society B! :p:
Argh, people who freak out over a stray B at GCSE are perhaps overreacting a tad...and totally agree, it gives us an air of mystery (or maybe that's just wishful thinking hehe) I have 2 Cs to be proud of alongside my stars lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending