The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
2008? that's only like 5 years away :confused:

i don't even see the need for a C grade at maths gsce, let alone science
White_redrose
Hehe, uber-babble mode is great! :smile:
Lol, we should form a society B! :p:
Argh, people who freak out over a stray B at GCSE are perhaps overreacting a tad...and totally agree, it gives us an air of mystery (or maybe that's just wishful thinking hehe) I have 2 Cs to be proud of alongside my stars lol.

We totally should... We scrapers of passes in maths who nevertheless do fairly well in other subjects (bit of a mouthful but hey :p: ) should stick together! I should've had two, but my best friend taught me 3 topics of physics really well the morning before the exam, and the exact topics came up :eek: :biggrin: I went from straight Cs-Ds for 5 yrs to an A without revising til the morning before thanks to that sheer flukey luck thing, lol!! So I s'pose rather than bitch bout the fact I wanted an extra A* or 2, I should just be grateful - it could all have gone soooo badly, I was just lucky.

Basically, to those worried about needing Cs in Maths and English: university-wise, each place has information at admin and on websites telling you their requirements - but even these aren't necessarily set in stone if you have a decent explanation. Definitely work as hard as you can to get those Cs+, because you do *not* want to have to retake them if you can help it! That said, if you take the tier that's right for you, often the boundaries are ver low and it may not be quite as hard as you think :smile: Career-wise I imagine there are a fair few professions that like to see solid GCSE grades in a variety of subjects, although to be fair that's just total speculation.
*Bethany*
*joins the grateful "passed maths" brigade* :wink:

Still can't believe my b**** of a maths teacher put me in for higher tier :eek: still can't believe I got a pass... Never did a C look so sweet :p: Unlike some of my friends who freaked out at 1 or 2 Bs "muddying" their straight As ( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) then and now I just give thanks that I'm not one of the poor b*****s resitting it... about 2 marks saved me, lol. In fact, I think it's quite fun having a C - no-one can figure you out or classify you if you get a clutch of A*s and As then...a C! Just makes things a bit more interesting.

am in uber-babble mode sorry :redface:

If no one can figure you out or classify you, try my GCSE results! 3 A*s, 6 As . . . and a D!
Reply 23
tigger1430
Most uni's want at least a grade C in English for any course, Maths for anything other than arts I imagine. The C Grade in Science is only if you want to teach, you must have basic skills in English, Maths and Science and that counds as a grade C or above (Even thought you have to do tests in them for your QTS anyway). It something like those born after 1980 (or some other year) must have Grade C Science to do a teaching degree or PGCE.

If a person does a non-science PGCE, does he/she still need grade C in science? :redface: Is the requirement for grade C in science for primary teaching only?

silence
2008? that's only like 5 years away

i don't even see the need for a C grade at maths gsce, let alone science

GCSE maths is a need, but I don't think science is. I think GCSE science should be a requirement for science type courses only, and not for other subjects.
Reply 24
If you want to go into teaching and you were born AFTER 1979 then you need to have grade C in Science GCSE.
sapphisticated
If no one can figure you out or classify you, try my GCSE results! 3 A*s, 6 As . . . and a D!

lol nice one :biggrin: What was the D in? I got 5A*s, 3As and a C in maths
If it is reasonable to ask a checkout clerk to have a C in English and Maths I think it's pretty reasonable to ask a potential university applicant to get them.

Personally I think you've got to be asking some questions about your uni aspiriations if you can't muster-up the intellectual muscle to pass a GCSE maths or english paper - regardless of subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending