The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Is Halifax really THAT bad?

Well. I just applied for accommodation at York and all that was left was a 38 week let at Halifax or a 51 week let at Goodwin. I went for Halifax because I didn't want a 51 week let and to me it looked good. However everyone seems to be slagging it off a lot. Is there anyone who has been to Halifax who can confirm it is ok? Also, is there a bus service from Halifax to the centre of York, cause a 30 minute walk every time doesn't appeal to me.
Reply 1
Also, is there a bus service from Halifax to the centre of York, cause a 30 minute walk every time doesn't appeal to me.

No, but the Heslington Hall bus stop is only like 10 minutes walk away.

It's not that bad, not the newest, but not the oldest on campus. Most people's reservations tend to come from it being a 5 minute walk to campus (10 minutes to the centre of campus)
University of York
York
It's basically off campus :p:

It's not that bad though, 10-15 min walk to uni (well, 5 mins to the bottom end), and you're in small "houses", so it tends to have a very good college spirit :smile:
Reply 3
Halifax is great. I have a lot of mates currently on the Halifax JCR and since I have been at uni Halifax has turned from a place full of outcasts to one of the best colleges on campus. The layout gives you a house not a generic block like most of the other colleges, you get a large grassy court to chill out on in the summer. Halifax also contains the only bbq facilities on campus so when the sunshines everyone will ant to be your friend. Halifax has also won the college sports cup for the last 3 years so if you want to play sport but not at uni level they are your best bet for a high standard. I wasn't even in Halifax and I would happily choose to live there if I had to pick a college. Just remember in York there is no such thing as a bad college to be in.. only bad housemates.
:france:

Go halifax :P
Reply 5
bme
Halifax is great. I have a lot of mates currently on the Halifax JCR and since I have been at uni Halifax has turned from a place full of outcasts to one of the best colleges on campus. The layout gives you a house not a generic block like most of the other colleges, you get a large grassy court to chill out on in the summer. Halifax also contains the only bbq facilities on campus so when the sunshines everyone will ant to be your friend. Halifax has also won the college sports cup for the last 3 years so if you want to play sport but not at uni level they are your best bet for a high standard. I wasn't even in Halifax and I would happily choose to live there if I had to pick a college. Just remember in York there is no such thing as a bad college to be in.. only bad housemates.

I hated Halifax, I think that was because of my house mates, though. 4/10 I just couldn't stand at all, living so closely with people like that almost killed me, It was so good when I moved out.

I think Halifax must be amaaaaazing when you're living with the right people - it's just so much nicer and better than the rest of campus.

Latest

Trending

Trending