This discussion is closed.
Ricci
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I just checked the Portal and under the 'Next Steps' tab it says:

May

Smart Card Information - further information will be sent to you about applying for a University of Nottingham smart card.
Just wondering if anyone has actually recieved this information? Not me!
Sofa King
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nope, nadda.

whats a smart card?
finnstar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
in college here we have out own student cards..
i think smart cards are for those who are in uni.. we'd get them during orientation or somethin i guess..
mousey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I haven't had the info yet. Smart Cards are your uni ID cards at Notts. They help get discounts etc. Not sure what else they do. I've posted about this on another forum and since noone has heard anything about applying for them yet i'm not owrried, Notts are probably just being a little slow. I think we apply from them now and they get made if we meet our offers ready to pick up when we get there.

A current Notts student will probably be more help here than me though. xx
dusqi
Report 13 years ago
Hi, I'm in the first year at Nottingham University at the moment. The "smart card" is just your student card. It's used at Nottingham to get books out of the library, to get into buildings such as the computer rooms at night, and just generally to prove that you are who you say you are. Outside of this it's the card that you show in shops and cinemas to get a student discount.

I wouldn't worry about not receiving the information. I'm sure it wasn't sent to me last year until August or something. Nottingham University administration isn't too well organised. You don't actually get your card until the week one, when you have to go through a registration process, and you get the card at the end of it.
starsfallsilent
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hey dusqi, are you having a good time at notts? whats it like, c'mon tell all heh which hall were you in?
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dusqi)
Hi, I'm in the first year at Nottingham University at the moment. The "smart card" is just your student card. It's used at Nottingham to get books out of the library, to get into buildings such as the computer rooms at night, and just generally to prove that you are who you say you are. Outside of this it's the card that you show in shops and cinemas to get a student discount.
Yup, it's your NUS card as well as photo ID (although not everywhere will accept it as proof of age etc), library card, photocopy card (you can put money on it to use the photocopiers) and out-of-hours access card. You also need it to get into the Greenfield Medical library in the QMC and in psychology to pick up your lab reports/coursework after they've been marked.
dusqi
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by starsfallsilent)
hey dusqi, are you having a good time at notts? whats it like, c'mon tell all heh which hall were you in?
I'm in Broadgate Park (going home this weekend, *fingers crossed* on my exam results some time next week!). The Nottingham students are really friendly, the campus looks wonderful, the facilities are great. However there are times when I feel like the university administration, the accommodation administration, and my department (psychology) doesn't really care about me, beyond being 'another undergraduate'.

Broadgate park seems to be the best of the self-catering halls from what I've heard if you really must go self-catering. However, the real action happens in the catered halls on campus.

If I was to give everyone a tip for coming to Nottingham, I'd tell them that they're going to be meeting a lot of people in Week One especially, and they'll tend to have the same conversation over and over again, "hi, hi nice to meet you, I'm david what's your name? I'm Bob, what do you study? I study psychology, what hall are you in? *yawn yawn yawn*". So, everyone should come prepared with a decent unexpected question that might be more random and interesting. Something like "When you're in the shower, do you face the spray or away from the spray?" (and although you'd never catch me going off-topic in a thread, I'm quite the fan of facing away from the spray :P )
hel437
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeh.. i was a bit worried bout that, bt now at least i know im not the only one
has ne1 here applied for accomodation n actually heard anything?
Sofa King
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by hel437)
welcome to :tsr:

Its probably just the unconditionals amongst us who would have heard something. I havent yet, apart from an acknowledgement that they recieved my application, and don't expect to until results are published
Ricci
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by hel437)
They have started allocating accommodation to people who hold unconditional offers. I received (and accepted) an offer for a single study in Cripps.
Laura2k5
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ricci)
I just checked the Portal and under the 'Next Steps' tab it says:

Just wondering if anyone has actually recieved this information? Not me!
Hey!
i recieved the information in the post this week. think it was Tuesday it came. anyway i wouldn't worry yet as the return date isn't for quite a while yet anyway. hope that helps Laura xxx
mousey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Apparently they have run out of forms, but are reprinting and they should be with us this week.

I know this because someone (i think maybe Rai actually) posted on another forum that she had phoned them. xx
starsfallsilent
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
they've run out of forms? hehe thats funny. how do they run out of forms. very silly. nevermind at least im not alone in this hehe :p:
mousey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
or cards...basically they've run out but we'll be getting the stuff soon. xx
starsfallsilent
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
woooop. then ill feel like a proper student :p:
giraffehaveabath
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ricci)
They have started allocating accommodation to people who hold unconditional offers. I received (and accepted) an offer for a single study in Cripps.
Me too! Have you had any confirmation since you replied?

Got a smart card form yesterday btw, going to post it off along with my A-level certificates, which they asked for, later.
Connery
Report 13 years ago
on the portal it says
Please visit the extra 'Next Steps' tab regularly
Where is this?? :confused:
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Top right??
nottsgirl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i got my smart card stuff quite a while ago and its all been sent back and everything i suppose tis jst cos of when you reply, or where you are or whatever...i'm sure they will get round to everyone at sum pt!! lol even if they have fun out of forms
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Nottingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Fri, 13 Sep '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (34)
97.14%
No (1)
2.86%

Watched Threads