?
Report 13 years ago
was there any point of writing that?
emma870
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's not that I think that goes clubbing is a sin. I just don't like that scene because any time I go it's generally about getting as drunk as possible and getting off with someone. But I'd certainly go to the pub and have a couple of drinks...after all it was Jesus who turned water into wine!
mattwilson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by emma870)
It's not that I think that goes clubbing is a sin. I just don't like that scene because any time I go it's generally about getting as drunk as possible and getting off with someone. But I'd certainly go to the pub and have a couple of drinks...after all it was Jesus who turned water into wine!
yay! well said!
Michelle2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The uni I go to (Cambridge) is full of religious Christians, which I confess freaks me out; there seems to be no happy medium between those who like clubbing and drinking, and those who are religious types. I'd be interested to know whether Cambridge attracts religious applicants, or whether a lot of people become religious once they get here.
Xulfer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The government are trying to get 50% of young people in education to carry on to uni. That means that half of the people in the country aged 18-22+ are "like really religious".
mattwilson
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Xulfer)
The government are trying to get 50% of young people in education to carry on to uni. That means that half of the people in the country aged 18-22+ are "like really religious".
are you being sarcastic? We've already agreed that not everybody at Uni is religious
OldMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Michelle2)
The uni I go to (Cambridge) is full of religious Christians, which I confess freaks me out; there seems to be no happy medium between those who like clubbing and drinking, and those who are religious types. I'd be interested to know whether Cambridge attracts religious applicants, or whether a lot of people become religious once they get here.
Cambridge (and Oxford) certainly have a much higher proportion of Christians than other Unis (or the population) according to surveys. Therefore they are likely to have a higher proportion of annoying Christians than other places.
I would hope that the great majority of Christians in Cambridge still enjoy drinking and clubbing; the hardcore CICCU types didn't used to overwhelm the 'normal' ones.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
you'll probabaly find that a lot of people at uni (if you go to one with any kind of intellectual entrance criteria that is) will be in their humanist-atheist-liberal chin pubes phase so not very religious.

The little that I know about uni life from friends and rother etc is that CUs can become the butt of a lot of jokes, but whatever, I've also heard some quiote sinister things about them too though, specifically relating to Durham!
Angel_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thekillersrock)

The little that I know about uni life from friends and rother etc is that CUs can become the butt of a lot of jokes, but whatever, I've also heard some quiote sinister things about them too though, specifically relating to Durham!
Yeah, quite often Christian groups are not allowed to be part of the SU. That's what it was like at Warwick for a while because of the attitude of the Christian Union towards homosexuality. But they've been allowed back now!
mattwilson
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Angel_Cake)
Yeah, quite often Christian groups are not allowed to be part of the SU. That's what it was like at Warwick for a while because of the attitude of the Christian Union towards homosexuality. But they've been allowed back now!
thats really shocking, they were banned?! were muslims and jews etc banned too?
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mattwilson)
The University of St Andrews SU didn't allow any religious organisations to be part of the SU - this isn't uncommon as most SU's are constitutionally committed to ensuring that endorsed societies practice a non-disciminatory membership policy, most religious groups operate a discriminatory selection policy (i.e. you must be a christian to join the CU for example) so they can't be part of the SU.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
I know at Durham that anyone can join any society they want to, so a Christian could join the Jewish Society etc...
Which is why they probably are incorporated into the SU at Durham, this wasn't that case at St Andrews.
Da Mouse
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
chemist boy (spz for repeating but it doesnt sound like youve checked you pms) please check your private messages please!
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not many ppl are really religious !

Groups exist though !
emma870
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think that's crazy...as a Christian part of what I believe is that we should accept everybody. I would never try and force what I believe on others. I expect them to respect what I believe, but in turn I have to accept what they believe.

I have to say if I was even involved in that kind of club I would leave the second anything like that started. Guess that's why so many people have such a bad view of Christians!
Angel_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by emma870)
I think that's crazy...as a Christian part of what I believe is that we should accept everybody. I would never try and force what I believe on others. I expect them to respect what I believe, but in turn I have to accept what they believe.

I have to say if I was even involved in that kind of club I would leave the second anything like that started. Guess that's why so many people have such a bad view of Christians!
Yeah, that might be your view, but many Christians I've met don't feel the same! There was some sort of scandal about it when the CU were thrown out of the SU...something like they wouldn't let homosexuals onto the exec (committee) of the society. So I guess they would let them join, but they were then discriminated against in that sense.

I know you say you respect everybody, and I don't mean to cast doubt on that because I don't even know you, but if you're a strong Christian don't you believe that homosexuality is wrong? And so would you not find it difficult if the person you had to go to for advice about your religion, was, in your eyes, doing something wrong and committing a sin? I assume that this is why the CU have this rule about homosexuals being on the exec.
Angel_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not sure if other religious groups were banned. Basically, there are rules about discrimination which all societies etc have to follow. Any student group which breaks these rules, be it CU or bell-ringing, is usually warned and then thrown out of the CU if they don't change how they go about things.
mattwilson
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not sure if other religious groups were banned. Basically, there are rules about discrimination which all societies etc have to follow. Any student group which breaks these rules, be it CU or bell-ringing, is usually warned and then thrown out of the CU if they don't change how they go about things.
why not simply bad the individual? that is a lot less harsh
Angel_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
why not simply ban the individual? that is a lot less harsh
Which individual? It was the policy of the society to not allow homosexuals onto the exec, it's not that there was some nasty individual person bullying gays. The group as a whole did not accept homosexuals.
emma870
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know you say you respect everybody, and I don't mean to cast doubt on that because I don't even know you, but if you're a strong Christian don't you believe that homosexuality is wrong? And so would you not find it difficult if the person you had to go to for advice about your religion, was, in your eyes, doing something wrong and committing a sin? I assume that this is why the CU have this rule about homosexuals being on the exec.
You're right...I do believe that homosexuality is wrong. But I also believe it's just as wrong to cheat, lie, judge people, etc. I know that whoever's on the exec would not be perfect, nobody is, so to me it's no more different to going to a Christian struggling with any number of other issues I disagree with. Not sure if everybody else would agree on this, it's just my opinion.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (186)
18.9%
No (593)
60.26%
Not really bothered about them (205)
20.83%

Watched Threads