The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

thewebmaster
invert the second one then multiply
5(x+4)
______
10(x+3)
multiply out the 10(x+3) to give (10x+30)
Take out 5 as common factor of both leaves....
5(x+4)
______
5(x+3)
5 cancels leaving simply
(x+4)
_____
(x+3)
is this correct or can it be simplified more?
OBVIOUSLY (just realised :rolleyes: )
x goes bye byes
leaving
4/3?

woah are you on the same planet as us? the fraction 5/10 =1/2.
so the 1st one = (x+4) / 2(x+3) thats it.
Reply 41
Where did you get x=-2, and x != -1,-6 from?
Reply 42
i know that x doens't = -1 nad -6 now

What i wanted to do was ...

5(x+4)
______
10(x+3)

translate 10(x+3) into 5(x+6)

its the same value just expressed differently correct?

right now i have

5(x+4)
______
5(x+6)

and i can now take away the 5 because its common AND so is the 5, therefore leaving me with 4/ 6
Kirjava
Where did you get x=-2, and x != -1,-6 from?

x=-2 is from the solving numerator=0

x not=-1,-6 is the domain restriction bascially means you cannot have x=-1 or -6 as the starting value because anything/0 does not make sense.
thewebmaster

translate 10(x+3) into 5(x+6)

10(x+3)=10x+30 \not= 5x+30 =5(x+6)
Reply 45
Why aren't you able to take the 10(x+3) and change it into 5(x+6)? as numerically they'd be the same. Oh right algebraically they're not i see now

10x+ 30
5x+ 30

The value infront of x has changed, oh well thought i'd try anyways
Reply 46
DaveManUK
x=-2 is from the solving numerator=0

x not=-1,-6 is the domain restriction bascially means you cannot have x=-1 or -6 as the starting value because anything/0 does not make sense.

Ah, I get it now! Thanks :smile: Basically, you get rid of the denominator because when you move it across, it becomes 0? So then you can solve it as you would a normal equation...
Reply 47
thewebmaster

believe it or not but we have people in the "higher" set asking whether or not p+p = 2p. I know that might seem a bit hypocritical comming from me however i'm one of the smartest people in my school

wonder what the dumbest person must be like :rolleyes:
Reply 48
thewebmaster
Why aren't you able to take the 10(x+3) and change it into 5(x+6)? as numerically they'd be the same. Oh right algebraically they're not i see now

10x+ 30
5x+ 30

The value infront of x has changed, oh well thought i'd try anyways

come on - that is common sense - are you really predicted 9A*'s - even i knew that at GCSE!!!!! In fact i knew that in yr 8
Reply 49
hey, don't be mean.. :tongue:

everyone makes some mistakes...
Calm down, no-one's doubting you, I think he was only having a bit of a laugh.
Reply 51
ok, i will be blunt.

business studies, IT, PE, RS and Systems and Control, are, in my opinion at least, not as... respectable... as some other gcses. getting a*s in them would not seem to be some big thing.

if you get 9a*s, well done. but don't show it off in your sig as if it is some big thing, suggesting your intelligence, it really isn't, and threads like this given that give off a not so good reflection of yourself.

and stop scanning stuff in! you have too much time on your hands!:smile:
Reply 52
Yeah... and really, TSR bandwidth costs money! It's fair enough if you're having a problem, but is it really worth it just to boost your ego?

Oh, and be more careful on the Internet. There're nasty people around.. or so they like telling us. People who now know your full name, your school, your form... need I go on?

EDIT: Sorry, I apologise.. just noticed the image wasn't hosted on TSR. It's just something I've been thinking about, seeing your nice blue handwriting plastered over every other thread when you could've just written it in text. Sorry to rant, but I'm done now.
Reply 53
come on lads, give the poor kid a break
Reply 54
sorry *hangs head in shame*
Reply 55
Kirjava
sorry *hangs head in shame*

^^^^
Reply 56
1. yeah i agree, business studies is a breeze to get an A* if you've got some common sense and the only reason i choose rs was because i didn't want a half of a gcse in rs. Also only other choices were chinese or russian ? :confused:

2. I don't show off in my signature everyone else has their grades and a level results in their signatures. The thing is theirs actually mean more than mine since mine are still only predictions so they could go down, hope not though

3. it's somewhat hypocritical saying i'm boosting my ego when on the one hand i'm asking for help and on the other i'm supposed to be showing off that i know everything :rolleyes: Also as you can see i'm first to admit when somethings flew right over my head and usually deposits something aswell! :smile:

4. I apologize for the "nice" handwriting, its like a dogs dinner always has been. Still some of the smartest people in world had bad hand writing, only thing is they had the brain to go with it so noone cared lol i've always meant to make it neater but never got round to it

5. i would write it in but its far easier to get across what your going on about when you write and scan rather than use (( )) ] /2 and all that. I must admit does look like someone who just got a scanner and has to use it for everything lol.

6. Thanks for everyone's help so far, if this had of been a class room scenario it'd have taken nearly 3-4 lessons to get all the answers i've gotten tonight, also i appreciate people discussing more dificult things normally our teachers would tell you the binominal theorum didn't exsist, either to save you knowing more than them lol or because they didn't know it themselves!
Business Studies GCSE was soooo easy. 'Dave needs some money. How should he get some? Discuss. [10 marks]'
Reply 58
I didn't mean to criticise your hand writing... just that it's expensive for the people who run this board to have images on it. When you're running a webserver, you have something called bandwidth. You pay for bandwidth by the Gb.. images use it up way faster than text, so images are a lot more expensive.. that's all I was saying.

As for point 6... things like binominal theorum, while it's nice to know they exist, it's pretty pointless when you're still studying GCSE. I mean, it's pointless to try and think about the whys and why nots of binomial theorum when you don't understand how to answer a GCSE paper. I'm not criticising you here, just commenting generally.

Anyway, now can we put this stuff behind us, and just concentrate on the maths? :smile:
Reply 59
Acceptable answers: rob a bank, steal the money, borrow it off a shifty guy in a back alley, sell drugs.. :biggrin:

Yeah, business is easy.. but who cares? And it's quite difficult to think of 10 marks worth to say for that, you know!

Latest