Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Come on, people, you know it makes sense Cambidge Chat is one of the biggest threads on TSR and it belittles the Oxford forum! :eek: Plus, it makes prospectives think Oxonians are boring and Tabs are all social etc! :mad:

So, this is a thread for chatting about Oxford stuff that doesn't fit in all the boring 'will I get a place with my 23 A*s' threads, even if it's only very vaguely related!!

Come on, no longer will you have to be voyeurs of Cambridge Chat!! :rolleyes:

<ok so I'm only a prospective - SHUT IT RICHE - but none of you had the errr balls? :rolleyes: >

I can put lists of people and colleges or whatever in here if that would make it more interesting and easy if people want to ask questions about bops or meet-ups or spare cookies etc...Maybe this thread should be stickied if it takes off and become an amalgamation of the meet-up thread and the offers/current studes threads etc etc...

What do you think?

Raphael

ReputationRep:
    I want a cookie :p:

ReputationRep:
    Peel me a grape!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    I want a cookie :p:
    You really should put that in your sig :rolleyes:

So, do you think people will actually post in here? Or are Oxford types just not as sociable on TSR as the tabs? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    Peel me a grape!
    They don't do that for you until you're actually AT Oxford :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    im a prosepctive oxfordonian - im going to the science open day on the 29th and staying over at st hughes. its the day after my last exam which is chemistry unit 6 - so its gonna be a whirlwind time. before that i have a full week of exams everyday - then a weekend of solid revision and then 2 days of exams and to oxford i go. Im planning to get there on the 29th about 10.30 - 11.00 ish in the morning. I can go and put my stuff in my room at 12. then i want to go to the first science lecture and then look around. stay over night - next day i wanna do the proper full science open day and then hang around in the evening checking out what the colleges look like. im hoping that these 2 days will help me decide which college i want to apply to.

i hope that this thread will become filled with countless witty remarks, the best jokes and all things good that can come from procrastinating ( revise, revise!!!! :mad: ) <- i don't know wot that was - sorry

ReputationRep:
    Hey Ryan, does that mean you'll be applying post-A Level? (re chemistry 6)

ReputationRep:
    If we had a list of current students, subjects and colleges it would make it easy for people to ask specific questions...what do you think? (Also current students seem to find it hard to remember who goes where so it would be good for them, too!)

ReputationRep:
    yea im applying post A level for chem, bio, physics, and maths ( with stats) but next year im doing maths with mechanincs and further maths (ocr). I plan to do all of the mechanincs modules and 1 stats module. dont ask - my further education is and has been completely crazy. i think that would be a good idea to list current students with subjects and coleges. all i know is that hoofbeat does physics.

wot does evry1 think about people applying post a level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raphael~)
    If we had a list of current students, subjects and colleges it would make it easy for people to ask specific questions...what do you think? (Also current students seem to find it hard to remember who goes where so it would be good for them, too!)
    As an applicant from last year, I reckon that kind of resource would be really useful - if you current Oxford peeps don't mind getting deluged with what would probably be largely inane questions...

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes: :p:

this is a great idea - wonder who had it? :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    There's a list of everyone holding offers somewhere. That could go in.

I'm about 240 UMS away from getting into Oxford (out of a possible 505). Looking good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes: :p:

this is a great idea - wonder who had it? :rolleyes: :p:
    Actions speak louder than words? And I think we have to thank Hoofbeat for the impetus 'Chat' can mean anything - I have given it substance :p: (a first for me! :eek: )

<RichE mgiht have metioned to me the idea of changing the RichE and Raph thread into 'Oxford Chat'...Clever bloke... :cool: >

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan750)
    yea im applying post A level for chem, bio, physics, and maths ( with stats) but next year im doing maths with mechanincs and further maths (ocr). I plan to do all of the mechanincs modules and 1 stats module. dont ask - my further education is and has been completely crazy. i think that would be a good idea to list current students with subjects and coleges. all i know is that hoofbeat does physics.

wot does evry1 think about people applying post a level.
    I don't think you'd be in any way disadvantaged, for they are just looking for potential - in fact there may be advantage for they can see that you've met any offer, in effect, already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yttrium)
    As an applicant from last year, I reckon that kind of resource would be really useful - if you current Oxford peeps don't mind getting deluged with what would probably be largely inane questions...
    Yes, exactly - inane questions that tend to come this time of year would probably be better received in one thread rather than loads and loads of threads...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    There's a list of everyone holding offers somewhere. That could go in.

I'm about 240 UMS away from getting into Oxford (out of a possible 505). Looking good
    Let's hope there's not another marking fiasco then

ReputationRep:
    Or are Oxford types just not as sociable on TSR as the tabs? :eek:
    wonder if excessiveful 'sociable'-ness on an online forum is compatible with 'sociable' with Real People in The Real World? :p:

i like cookies too.

but found out today that ergs have a 'calorie' setting. whoo hoo.. far more interesting that split times or whatever. have now found motivation to do them!

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope there's not another marking fiasco then
    But what if there was? And I got given 7 UMS for each of my last few maths exams? Then the college just reject me straight off? Or if I phoned and said ther'd been a **** up with exam marks would they believe me? Or would they already know? What would happen.... I'm worried now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    wonder if excessiveful 'sociable'-ness on an online forum is compatible with 'sociable' with Real People in The Real World? :p:

i like cookies too.

but found out today that ergs have a 'calorie' setting. whoo hoo.. far more interesting that split times or whatever. have now found motivation to do them!
    Well true, in reality the Oxons are bigging it up in the real world = :cool: but people can't help but think that bigger (threadcount :eek: ) = better :rolleyes:

I never use the calorie setting, I can eat anything and never put any weight (mass) on; it's all about toning for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    But what if there was? And I got given 7 UMS for each of my last few maths exams? Then the college just reject me straight off? Or if I phoned and said ther'd been a **** up with exam marks would they believe me? Or would they already know? What would happen.... I'm worried now.
    lol oops didn't mean to worry you :p:

Yes, you would inform the college that you were having a re-mark and they would then bear that in mind...There have been cases though where the colleges have forced the student to go up the year after because they couldn't wait for the re-mark or paperwork or whatever to be done...

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.