completing the square... :) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kirjava
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hey

I'm at GCSE, and I was doing some quadratic equations and thought... 'where does this formula come from?!'

This, being a question that I don't need to know the answer to, is obviously something I tried to find out straight away See the attachment ( this is a screengrab from a PDF located at http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/jtm/1/lec1p6.pdf ) for what I found.

I don't understand how you get from the first step to the second step (or the fifth to the sixth, but that doesn't matter right now). I understand it's a process called completing the square, but I really can't see how it works without perfect squares... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached files
DaveManUK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
completing the square; rewriting a quadratic of the form ax^2+bx+c=0 in the form

a(x^2+b/a+c/a)=0 so the x^2 coefficient is 1.
a[(x+b/2a)^2-excess terms+c/a]=0 - that is completing the square. half of the x term goes inside the brackets.

eg. x^2+6x+5=0
(x+3)^2 -9 + 5=0 - see, hald the x term inside, and take off excess term u get when you expand the bracket.s
ljfrugn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, it comes in handy for finding the min (or max) values of a quadratic (or i suppose quartic or other even-ordered powers) function.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?