Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just looked through a past paper, and it seems I as expected to know that the oocyte contains "mitochondial DNA" ....... does it mean the DNA that codes for mitochondira in the cells always comes from the mother? Or does it mean that DNA is present in the mitochondria?
    If anyone could explain id be v.grateful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    Just looked through a past paper, and it seems I as expected to know that the oocyte contains "mitochondial DNA" ....... does it mean the DNA that codes for mitochondira in the cells always comes from the mother? Or does it mean that DNA is present in the mitochondria?
    If anyone could explain id be v.grateful
    All mitochondria contain DNA, that they pass on when they divide. But in fertilisation all of the mitochondria come from the oocyte, so from the mother (the mitochondria from the sperm are dismantled). This gives rise to some interesting diseases.

ReputationRep:
    the 7 daughters of eve, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    the 7 daughters of eve, anyone?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, mitochondrial DNA from the father is destroyed on entrance of the sperm in a human. They are marked with a molecular marker which allows identification and destruction.
    In fruit flies the gut is built around it and it is, *cough*, excreted after birth. :rolleyes:
    A conflict between two sets of mitochondrial DNA can prevent fertilization from continuing as both sets are destroyed - some children have been produced, at this stage, by adding a third set of DNA in fertility clinics meaning that effectively the child has 3 parents :eek:

My pre-release is on sperm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    All mitochondria contain DNA, that they pass on when they divide. But in fertilisation all of the mitochondria come from the oocyte, so from the mother (the mitochondria from the sperm are dismantled). This gives rise to some interesting diseases.
    hmm ... is this LHON and MERRF (or some other acronyms like them)?

One of them affects vision doesn't it. Argh, should know this :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    You should know! Brian Sykes (the author) is a fellow at Oxford. It's all about mitochondrial DNA from the mother's side.

ReputationRep:
    You should know! Brian Sykes (the author) is a fellow at Oxford. It's all about mitochondrial DNA from the mother's side.
    :p: They probably mentioned it in the lectures, but clearly I didn't take it in :rolleyes:

Simon - why do you need to know these? MERRF is something to do with ragged red fibres I think.
    LHON does effect the eyes though - somebodies' optic neuropathy.

ReputationRep:
    All you big clever people scare me =(

ReputationRep:
    LHON does effect the eyes though - somebodies' optic neuropathy.
    wow, that's an obscure genetic disease to know about!

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's really quite interesting. Why does AQA B have such a dry syllabus? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    wow, that's an obscure genetic disease to know about!
    Hehe, it comes from plagiarising Human Molecular Genetics for a tutorial essay on hereditary diseases.

Ellie - don't be silly I'm certainly not big and really don't feel clever at the moment, posting on TSR when I should be revising :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i dont think i need to go in that much detail lol (hopefully)
    Thanks for your help! Basically everyones mitochondria has DNA in it... seems a bit silly if you ask me, whats the point of complicating things eh?!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, it comes from plagiarising Human Molecular Genetics for a tutorial essay on hereditary diseases.

Ellie - don't be silly I'm certainly not big and really don't feel clever at the moment, posting on TSR when I should be revising :rolleyes:
    =)
    I'm revising Bio whilst posting on TSR, does that make me medium-sized and semi-clever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    =)
    I'm revising Bio whilst posting on TSR, does that make me medium-sized and semi-clever?
    i guess it makes you multi-talented

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    i dont think i need to go in that much detail lol (hopefully)
    Thanks for your help! Basically everyones mitochondria has DNA in it... seems a bit silly if you ask me, whats the point of complicating things eh?!
    Now that is an interesting question. Basically it is thought that mitochondria were originally prokaryotic cells that the eukaryotic cells engulfed to do the job of respiration. This would explain the DNA, the double membrane, the small ribosomes in the mitochondria etc.

ReputationRep:
    i guess it makes you multi-talented

count me in

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this the reason when you try human cloning, the cloned cell is never 100% identical - because the mitochondrial DNA remains on the unfertilised egg (while the rest of the DNA is from the nucleus of the somatic cell).

..unless of course the somatic nucleus was derived from the same person as the egg came from ... or something :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    =)
    Damn multitasking, however much I try to become more feminine I still can't grasp that one :p:

ReputationRep:
    :p: They probably mentioned it in the lectures, but clearly I didn't take it in :rolleyes:
    did you not have Sykes taking your medical genetics course? he was pretty good last year! & the guy has a TV agent... :cool:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 4, 2005

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.