The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I found it worked better if, for 6 digit numbers, you include the last digit of the area code to make it a 7 digit number....
Reply 101
Cool! It works! :p: Couldn't find my good calculator though, so i had to use a stupid old fashioned one that can't store things...
It worked, i don't get overly excited about maths stuff though - more of a poet lol
Reply 104
:top: Yes it worked :biggrin:
Reply 105
lol it was nearly there one digit missing i'll try it again to see if i get the same answer
Reply 106
To those that got it wrong they must have keyed it in incorrectly.

1) Key in the first three digits of your phone number into a calculator. (do not use your area code number) - Let this equal n
2) Multiply by 80 - 80n
3) Add one - 80n+1
4) Multiply by 250 - 20000n+250
5) Plus last four digits of your phone number - Let this be x
6) Plus last four digits of your phone number again - " "
So we have: 20000n+250+2x
7) Minus 250 - 20000n+2x
8) Divide by 2 - 10000n+x

By multiplying by 10000 this ensures that after the first 3 digits of your phone number there will be 4 zeros, so when you add x it will be your phone number.
worked
Reply 108
BlueAngel
yes it worked for me :biggrin:
Obviously some maths geeks must have been sat down for several years working this out.

Because it is a simply maths test. All you are doing is adding some numbers, and taking away practically the same numbers so you are left with the same answer
Reply 109
G4ry
To those that got it wrong they must have keyed it in incorrectly.

1) Key in the first three digits of your phone number into a calculator. (do not use your area code number) - Let this equal n
2) Multiply by 80 - 80n
3) Add one - 80n+1
4) Multiply by 250 - 20000n+250
5) Plus last four digits of your phone number - Let this be x
6) Plus last four digits of your phone number again - " "
So we have: 20000n+250+2x
7) Minus 250 - 20000n+2x
8) Divide by 2 - 10000n+x

By multiplying by 10000 this ensures that after the first 3 digits of your phone number there will be 4 zeros, so when you add x it will be your phone number.

you're making it boring :wink:
i don't get it. You never type in the last 3 digits, so how can the calculator know? I only need a simple explanation for my simple mind :smile:
Reply 111
isabella19
i don't get it. You never type in the last 3 digits, so how can the calculator know? I only need a simple explanation for my simple mind :smile:

When you add the last four digits at the later stages, all you are effectively doing is adding defg to abc0000.
Bingo
Yeep :wink:
Reply 114
glance
When you add the last four digits at the later stages, all you are effectively doing is adding defg to abc0000.

you're so helpful dude :smile:
Reply 115
Janealams
you're so helpful dude :smile:

I know. She asked, I answered. What more can you want.

Latest

Trending

Trending