University jargon --- wtf? Watch

This discussion is closed.
UpliftMof0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ok. Lets say Im very very very very very stupid. I have no idea what any of your MEng, Bsc MSci or anything like that means. Could someone point me in the direction of somewhere with all this sort of university information, or if you could be ever so kind as to waste 5/10 minutes telling me all about it?
Thanks
Upliftmof0

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, please move it - it might get better answers if it were in the universities sub-forum??
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
www.ucas.com
kidney thief
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://www.acronymfinder.com/

for all your acronym finding needs
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Bsc - Bachelor of Science Degree..
BA Bachelor of Arts..

Im out.
KdySk8rGirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Try on ucas or some university sites. They stand for the degree type. MEng is a Masters Engineering degree, Bsc is a Bachelor of Science degree. Try googling for the full listings.
UpliftMof0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks guys. I suppose i should have tried a little harder than my google 'university jargon' then. :P meh. cheers.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
MEng - Masters of Engineering
Bsc - Bachelors of Science
MSci - Masters of Science

The masters degree (e.g. MSci) is called an integrated or undergraduate masters degree. It takes 4 years to do it. If you are interested in the integrated masters degree, you would need a 2:1 or above to continue onto the 4th year. The bachelors degree takes 3 years.

For more degree names, go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British..._abbreviations

For degree classifications go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...classification
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
MEng - Masters of Engineering
Bsc - Bachelors of Science
MSci - Masters of Science

The masters degree (e.g. MSci) is called an integrated or undergraduate masters degree. It takes 4 years to do it. If you are interested in the integrated masters degree, you would need a 2:1 or above to continue onto the 4th year. The bachelors degree takes 3 years.

For more degree names, go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British..._abbreviations

For degree classifications go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...classification
Just a poit, but aren't undergraduate Masters always named after their subject, like MMath, MPhys, MEng etc, so as you rarely find undergraduate general Science degrees, isn't the MSci solely used for postgrad Masters?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Roger Kirk)
Just a poit, but aren't undergraduate Masters always named after their subject, like MMath, MPhys, MEng etc, so as you rarely find undergraduate general Science degrees, isn't the MSci solely used for postgrad Masters?
Sometimes they are named after their subject, and sometimes not. For example, some computing courses can have MEng or MComp.

MSci is now a undergraduate masters degree now. It has changed from postgraduate to undergraduate now according to that website.

Sometimes depending on the uni, you will take some MSc modules in the 4th undergrad year, or it maybe completely different modules from the MSc course. Furthermore, some uni's will ask you to get a 2:1 in the 2nd or 3rd year to go onto the 4th year. If they want a 2:1 in the 2nd year instead of the 3rd year, that means the 3rd year will have different modules, and you won't do a final year project until the 4th year. For example, when I e-mailed lincoln uni, they said i need to get a 2:1 in the 2nd year to progress to the masters route, as the 3rd year have different modules.

Just to let you know that undergraduate masters degree are graded pass, merit, distinction.
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Just to let you know that undergraduate masters degree are graded pass, merit, distinction.
I assume you're referring to the MSci - cos I'm doing an MEng and was lead to believe that I would be graded 1, 2:1, 2:2, 3 just like everyone else...
Jenn xx
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JennLlama)
I assume you're referring to the MSci - cos I'm doing an MEng and was lead to believe that I would be graded 1, 2:1, 2:2, 3 just like everyone else...
Jenn xx
:confused:

I am doing an MComp soon similar to other undergraduate masters degree, and the admissions tutor said that the classification for those are pass, merit, distinction. I'm confused now.

By the way, I'm refer to all undergraduate masters degree.
EPD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JennLlama)
Jenn xx
Likewise, my MEng (and I assume similar ones like a MMath, MChem etc.) as far as I'm aware is just graded like a normal degree.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not always, e.g. I think Bristol do a 4yr undergraduate Geog degree which is an MSci
EPD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
Not always, e.g. I think Bristol do a 4yr undergraduate Geog degree which is an MSci
Yup, my mates here doing Geology are doing an MSci too.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh an trev, I'm not sure where you're getting these classifications from, but all the undergraduate master degrees I've ever come across are graded in the standard 1st/2i/2ii/3rd way.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Only some subjects can be named after their subjects as you can see in the website I gave you.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
Yup, my mates here doing Geology are doing an MSci too.
Cool, I was going to do Geog @ Bristol, but Durham just pipped it to the post :p:
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
Likewise, my MEng (and I assume similar ones like a MMath, MChem etc.) as far as I'm aware is just graded like a normal degree.
The admissions tutor said the degree classification for undergraduate masters degree is like a postgrad (i.e. pass, merit, distinction). Probably, my admissiosn tutor is wrong or you are right. :confused:
shuvle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
wow this tread has made everythig so much clearer
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads