The Student Room Group

referees/references

hi, just a quick question for those who have (successfully) applied for a job, in particular for a part-time or summer job:

this might sound like the answer is blindingly obvious, but if you had to put one or two referees down on your application, did the person/company you applied to actually contact them? If so, do you know what they were asked and if their 'reference' had a significant bearing on your application?

thanks in advance!
~nat~
hi, just a quick question for those who have (successfully) applied for a job, in particular for a part-time or summer job:

this might sound like the answer is blindingly obvious, but if you had to put one or two referees down on your application, did the person/company you applied to actually contact them? If so, do you know what they were asked and if their 'reference' had a significant bearing on your application?

thanks in advance!

Alot of jobs will check your references, and alot of them require you to write two referees down, two from work (past employer), personal (friend to give charactor reference) and educational (teacher from school/college).

Usually referees get contacted after an interview, and they're asked about the sort of person and how competent you are. Some employers do this by either phoning the referee up or sending them a letter or form in the post, asking for the reference. Don't worry about this, it's very unlikely someone will give you a bad reference-unless you've done something majorly wrong to rub the referee up the wrong way! Obviously a bad reference would put you in a bad light for the company, but usually a good one is given and it just reasures the company that you're capable of doing the job.
AFAIK, past employers etc cant give you a bad reference. but they can refuse to give a reference which is just as bad. when i was applying for my job, they asked my references before my interview and they mentioned some of the things in the references
Reply 3
Why can't you get a bad reference surly that would only encourage lies? :confused:
ianc
Why can't you get a bad reference surly that would only encourage lies? :confused:

dunno. just as far as im aware, you cant give a bad reference
Reply 5
MorbidAngel is right - it is illegal to give a bad reference, or say anything derogatory in a reference. This means that ex-employers who are clever with their wording can still get away with it - it's more about what they don't say than what they do say. If an employer refuses to give a reference, you're in trouble!

Some employers make it their policy to check all references, but many just don't bother, or they'll check the one from your most recent job. But you should always assume your references will be checked thoroughly, just in case.
Reply 6
thanks to everyone for their help!

Latest

Trending

Trending