Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "Life will find a way"

Im optimistic tbh, science will always find a way for the population to survive. Hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    The Earth works as an organism and always finds a way to defeat overpopulation. Be it wars, famine, or disease, it still happens. However, it looks like we have defeated mother nature on a few of these.

How would we stop the world from getting warmer and the ice caps melting?

ReputationRep:
    build a big fan

Can i just point out to people some A-level chemistry - as global temperatures rise, sea levels will rise independent of the extra influx of water from the icesheets currently onland. - I believe as we are now the average ocean temperature is something around 4 degrees (cant remember precise number) which coincidently is the temp at which water has highest density (remember ice is LESS dense than water).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikdboy)
    The Earth works as an organism and always finds a way to defeat overpopulation. Be it wars, famine, or disease, it still happens. However, it looks like we have defeated mother nature on a few of these.

How would we stop the world from getting warmer and the ice caps melting?
    that's assuming Malthus was right and that Boserup, who argued humans can find new technologies to overcome the problems associated with overpopulation, was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Not as significant as other environmental issues, but certainly a concern. Thankyou to whoever started this thread, now if it wasn't for the high amount of uni work I'm required to do atm (plus have to go home and eat dinner in a few mins) I'd be in this thread for a long time, but unfortunately this is not the case *Hopes this thread will still be up and running after the 15th of June*

Oh BTW, just a reminder - still recruiting more members for the TSR Environmental Awareness soc, so if you wanna join - talk to me!

DB_x

EDIT: And Milady, I know what you mean about that said politician using global warming as an excuse to introduce nuclear power stations in NSW - I heard that and I was not impressed. Esp. since one of the real reasons why he wants them is b/c of the apparent 'efficiency' (more like an excuse to justify the high amount of energy being used and often wasted) they're 'capable of'. Okay I have to admit, it's better than them using coal power, but it's like 'Hello? Wind power? Slightly more environmentally friendly?' :rolleyes: *Is ashamed of our Western society's unrealistic demands on the environment*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Not as significant as other environmental issues
    Care to explain that? Which other environmental issue threatens over a billion human lives, the coral reefs, a million different species of wildlife, ice-caps, glaciers, rivers, perhaps (and this is of course an enormous perhaps) human life itself?

Climate change is the most important issue we, as a species, have ever faced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomorrow2Day)

I agree. It's mostly because it's occurring at such a rapid scale as well.

slower climate change would go unnoticed pretty much. (in terms of being in the public eye)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomorrow2Day)
    Care to explain that? Which other environmental issue threatens over a billion human lives, the coral reefs, a million different species of wildlife, ice-caps, glaciers, rivers, perhaps (and this is of course an enormous perhaps) human life itself?

I meant, as in, it's not the only environmental issue we should be concerned about. There are others too, such as air pollution (which adds to that, as does the Greenhouse Effect, which is connected, but it's NOT actually Global Warming), soil acidity, water pollution, using up non-renewable resources, the unecessary cutting down of trees...

I could go on. Anyway all in all, I know they have the potential to lead onto global warming, but they're not the same thing. People need to distinguish and not lump everything under one blanket, leads to better understanding. And that is why I left room for other important environmental issues

ReputationRep:
    I meant, as in, it's not the only environmental issue we should be concerned about. There are others too, such as air pollution (which adds to that, as does the Greenhouse Effect, which is connected, but it's NOT actually Global Warming), soil acidity, water pollution, using up non-renewable resources, the unecessary cutting down of trees...

I could go on. Anyway all in all, I know they have the potential to lead onto global warming, but they're not the same thing. People need to distinguish and not lump everything under one blanket, leads to better understanding. And that is why I left room for other important environmental issues
    About using up fossil fuels - I don't get how we still use the same stuff we did 100 years ago to fuel cars! You'd think we could have discovered a new way, huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikdboy)
    About using up fossil fuels - I don't get how we still use the same stuff we did 100 years ago to fuel cars! You'd think we could have discovered a new way, huh?
    Some people have, just certain politicians in various Western coutries (e.g. *cough*USA*cough*) refuse to sign particular treaties which promise to reduce their use of this non-renewable resource. Makes me sad

However it is possible to use less of this resource, which is why I try to do my bit and ride my bike everywhere/catch public transport/carpool at home whenever poss.

ReputationRep:
    Some people have, just certain politicians in various Western coutries (e.g. *cough*USA*cough*) refuse to sign particular treaties which promise to reduce their use of this non-renewable resource. Makes me sad

However it is possible to use less of this resource, which is why I try to do my bit and ride my bike everywhere/catch public transport/carpool at home whenever poss.
    It's going to be interesting when we run almost completely out of the fuels. I bet there's going to be a mass competition for countries/scientists/inventors to create a more efficient fuel.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.