Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The stuff I'm doing is a lot harder than at A level, but it's more interesting so I'm happy to sit in the library for 10 hours a day for the last 5 weeks learning about it. Only 1.5 more weeks to go... bring it on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    When the assessment in uni is exams and coursework, most likely the exam will weigh more than the coursework (in some cases 70% exam and 30% coursework).
    that's what most of my subjects are like at the moment, half of my subjects are 100% exam.

shyopstv- i think it depends on the A Levels you do and the teaching as to whether it's easier than GCSE. And maybe the same for university/A levels difficulty. AS German is definitely sooo much harder than GCSE but biology and psychology could be considered easier because we're now used to learning facts by wrote and some of the syllabus crosses over from GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I would say my course involves a hell of a lot of wrote learning - thought this changes in years to come. I think the quantity of work involved in mine and science degrees is greater than most people experience at A levels. My brother is here at Manchester doing Biomedical (first year also) he has five large modules per semester to do - each module seems greater in volume than at A level - he says the workload is comparible to doing five full A levels, but the content is harder.

My friends doing arty subjects like english and history, have fewer scheduled uni hours, fewer modules and fewer exams - they do have huge amounts of reading to do however and essay deadlines coming out of there ears!

I think A levels are much easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loopz)
    that's what most of my subjects are like at the moment, half of my subjects are 100% exam.

shyopstv- i think it depends on the A Levels you do and the teaching as to whether it's easier than GCSE. And maybe the same for university/A levels difficulty. AS German is definitely sooo much harder than GCSE but biology and psychology could be considered easier because we're now used to learning facts by wrote and some of the syllabus crosses over from GCSE.
    Sometimes it depends on the modules for the course at uni. It could be 100% exam, 60% exam 40% coursework or vice versa, 50/50 of each assessment method, 80% exam 20% coursework, etc...

For my course at uni, it's mostly coursework assesed. Nevertheless, there are some modules that have an exam assesment. Since there is, the modules that involve assessment of coursework and exam, the coursework will weigh more.

Some uni's in the second and third year, the coursework weighs less and there won't be much of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
    NO! You aren't spoon-fed at uni like you are at school. You actually have to learn some things for yourself.
    Uni is more fun than school though!!
    chemistry i certainly wasn't spoonfed this year!!! biology is a bit of a doss being spoon-fed everything, its so boring, i think i'd prefer not to be. At least in chemistry no-one cared if we hadn't done any homework, you worked just enough so the teachers thought we were working and left it be- not great though coz obviously with that attitude we didn't learn much, which meant plenty of swotting this last week! We have a new chem teacher now who will expect a certain standard of, actually just homework handed in in general.

ReputationRep:
    Loopz, I'm sure you must go to my school! It was exactly the same at mine, biology we were given everything we needed to know but with chemistry it was 'Learn It Yourself, I'm Just A Teacher' - fest 2005. Actually once, a girl in my class asked one of our teachers a question and she replied "I don't know, you tell me. You girls know more about chemistry than I do anyway"!

So I suppose in that sense we might be a bit more prepared than a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Loopz, I'm sure you must go to my school! It was exactly the same at mine, biology we were given everything we needed to know but with chemistry it was 'Learn It Yourself, I'm Just A Teacher' - fest 2005. Actually once, a girl in my class asked one of our teachers a question and she replied "I don't know, you tell me. You girls know more about chemistry than I do anyway"!

So I suppose in that sense we might be a bit more prepared than a lot of people.
    yeah so maybe uni will actually seem easier for us? i hope so!! can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loopz)
    yeah so maybe uni will actually seem easier for us? i hope so!! can't wait!
    I don't think it will be easy for me. Everything will be hard and I'm not sure if I could handle it.

ReputationRep:
    I find university a challenge; a-levels were so much easier. You know where you are with them.. you have a syllabus to study, you have Assessment Objectives to fulfil, there are sample answers and mark schemes and revision guides. At my uni things are a lot less supported. You read the books, you read the criticism, you write an essay, you get lots of comments on it, you get set a new essay..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    At my uni things are a lot less supported. You read the books, you read the criticism, you write an essay, you get lots of comments on it, you get set a new essay..
    I really agree with this - its not so much that the essay writing is harder, its just that with no mark scheme etc its difficult to know where you're going wrong and how to improve for the next essay.
    I've found overall my degree isn't that much harder at the moment - I certainly spend a lot less time working than I did at A-Level. Though to jump from a 2:1 to a first seems to mean a huge jump in standards, wheras an A at A-level was achievable as long as you understood the system

ReputationRep:
    Think what teachers mean is there is such a bigger skill level difference in GCSE's to A-Level than there is in A-Levels to Degree. First year may be easy it depends on the course and ultimately if your any good at it (Cliche of its only easy if you know how!). But second and third year uni are a lot harder. Some people imagine first year uni being easy because in most course it doesn't count towards your final degree and as long as you get 40% your fine, but the second and third years are different if you only get 40% your degree isn't gonna be of a good class.

It's only easy if you know how, and if you enjoy the subject it should feel easier (or nicer to do?) anyway!

P.S As said above, the difference at uni is that most of your learning will be directed by you at degree level whereas you were told what to learn for a-level, you need to read around the subject at uni or you wont do too well. Depends on your learning technique's some people can teach themselves really effectively, some people prefer to be directed, and these people may find it a struggle at uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Most university exams have finished now. I think the first year is without a doubt easier than A levels in terms of academic content, but you have to adjust to a new style of learning, some people find that hard.

Without a doubt the final year at university is harder than the final year of A levels but it just depends on the course etc. Its probably all relative anyway as those with better A levels probably go to better universities.
    I'm glad you found it easier - I found A-Levels pretty much a walkover but it's been sooooo much harder here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I'm glad you found it easier - I found A-Levels pretty much a walkover but it's been sooooo much harder here!
    You're doing medicine though aren't you? It just depends on the course, my college messed a lot of things up which meant my final year was really stressful. Where as university was much more organised. I am just going of what people seem to say as well.

My sister has found her first year easier than A levels as well. But the second and third year there is no contest, they are much harder.

There is no right or wrong answer really, if you do Chemestry, Maths and Biology at A2 and then go onto Office Skills at some HE college you're much likely to find A levels harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I don't think it will be easy for me. Everything will be hard and I'm not sure if I could handle it.
    nahhh first year uni might even be easier than A Levels ( :eek: so people seem to be saying)!! besides, people can go on a lot longer after they think they can't, anyway it won't be a case of surviving, you'll probably love it!

yeh rebecca/becca i've turned into one of those crammers!!! tehe, well actually i'm usually near the top of the class for the whole year, mostly due to the fact people in my classes are pretty dumb!
    I'm sort of hoping at uni there will be more of a crossover of subjects, so I could write essays in a medicine degree, 'cause at the moment my only essays are in german and they get handed back with red pen all over them!

ReputationRep:
    The work is harder. But if you can get off you arse and do work, you will find it easier than school.

You are more likely to suffer from stress. When its costing £6000 per annum (from 2006), you will find that people will put in alot of work. If you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noxid)
    The work is harder. But if you can get off you arse and do work, you will find it easier than school.

You are more likely to suffer from stress. When its costing £6000 per annum (from 2006), you will find that people will put in alot of work. If you know what I mean.
    Definitely agree. Never really used to get that stressed about exams but here it's been awful. I'm literally counting the hours til they're over!

ReputationRep:
    I remember at the end of Year 12, the Head of Sixth Form invited the previous years Year 13 back to school to give a talk on uni and stuff.
    The one thing that stood out was that each of them (there were about 7 students, each doing a range of subjects) said how doing A Levels will be the hardest challenge.
    They were all only at the end of their first year, so perhaps they didnt really have enough experience of uni work to make a better judgement, but the message we certainly get at our school is that uni will be easier??!?!

ReputationRep:
    I don't want this to sound the wrong the way as I realise teachers can come from all backgrounds...

But you can get a 2:2 in Knitting from Slumtown Community College then go onto a to a PGCE, so these teachers will probably think that A levels are harder.

A lot of it just depends on what the degree and what thre A levels are.

ReputationRep:
    My head of sixth form is also my Business Studies teacher. She did an Economics degree (at Warwick I think), and she still seemed to have this impression.

I understand what your saying though.

ReputationRep:
    I was told that degree would be much easier than A Levels, but in reality, I found that just as the jump from GCSEs to A Level was quite large, the difference between A Level standard work and degree level work is huge.

You will probably find it easier if you are genuinely interested/passionate about the degree course that you're reading. I'm not, and that's one of the reasons that I find my course tough going.

I'm 3/4 of the way through so I might as well finish it - plus I'm not paying for it, lucky I guess.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.