Turn on thread page Beta

is university easier than A Levels? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    no no no no no

its lies...all lies...A level is hard yes...but the amount of coursework at uni is ten times worse...

its not easier atall...and im only in my first year...my teachers told me the same thing...lol...its not true...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forever_faded)
    no no no no no

its lies...all lies...A level is hard yes...but the amount of coursework at uni is ten times worse...

its not easier atall...and im only in my first year...my teachers told me the same thing...lol...its not true...
    In addition to this, the complexity of the exam is even harder. I saw some sample uni exams, and they are so hard. I wonder if I can pass them.

ReputationRep:
    Having just finished my first year exams, I would say university exams are far more difficult. At A-level you are taught all the information you need to get a good mark. In university exams, you need to have done lots of background reading and self-study, as well as learn the lecture material, to get a decent mark.

I have also found that things like essays require so much more time to get it to 70%+ standard. I used to write A-level essays in only a couple of hours!

ReputationRep:
    Yep the other big difference is at A level is if you do 15% more work you will get the next grade up, at university you would have to 100% more work.

To get a 40% pass its really easy, to get a 50% border 3rd/2:2 you have to put so much more work and effort in. To get a 2:1 you have to really really work hard, to get a 1st you have to be a genius and work hard.

At college I was easiest the best on my course but at university I was only slightly above average. If you're used to be top of the class you can find this hard, I certainly did and it was slightly off putting, but for web development based assignments I was still good so I still tried to be the best on my course, once or twice I was

Trev if you can pass your A levels I think you will have no problem passing, but getting a 2:1+ is much harder to say, if you put the work in then you should be able to get a 2:1. Some people struggle even when working hard though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Trev if you can pass your A levels I think you will have no problem passing, but getting a 2:1+ is much harder to say, if you put the work in then you should be able to get a 2:1. Some people struggle even when working hard though.
    True. However, the content in uni is quite in depth and hard along with the complexity of the exams. I agree with you that people still struggle when they work hard, that is the case for me. I'm quite worried now.

ReputationRep:
    having done one undergrad degree, and being on my second - I would say that uni exams are defo far more difficult than anything before them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    At college I was easiest the best on my course but at university I was only slightly above average. If you're used to be top of the class you can find this hard, I certainly did and it was slightly off putting, but for web development based assignments I was still good so I still tried to be the best on my course, once or twice I was
    yeah that's me, top of my classes, i think i don't like german because i'm not top!! thats really my only experience of not being top! (even though a couple of people got higher gcse's than me, they weren't so good throughout the year).
    I am actually quite worried about that. But also kind of excited at 'meeting people like me' hahaha! At the moment i can't go: 'i'm worried about x'- because everyone tells me to shut up and if i can't do it the rest of the class will fail! and they 'know' im going to do well, well they're not me! I just walked up to my exam the other day and another girl was like 'urgh lucy ur gonna do really well, you're such a ****' Its this season of back-handed compliments again but i don't think i like it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    having done one undergrad degree, and being on my second - I would say that uni exams are defo far more difficult than anything before them...
    What is second degree are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    What is second degree are you doing?

medicine.

ReputationRep:
    medicine.
    I thought that was your first degree/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I thought that was your first degree/
    Nope - strictly speaking it's my 3rd degree. I already have a BSc (hons) in genetics and a D.Phil (cancer research).

ReputationRep:
    Nope - strictly speaking it's my 3rd degree. I already have a BSc (hons) in genetics and a D.Phil (cancer research).
    wow so you're going to be like....the ultimate doctor :albertein:
    your degrees must have helped quite a bit with medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Yep the other big difference is at A level is if you do 15% more work you will get the next grade up, at university you would have to 100% more work.

To get a 40% pass its really easy, to get a 50% border 3rd/2:2 you have to put so much more work and effort in. To get a 2:1 you have to really really work hard, to get a 1st you have to be a genius and work hard.

AT jus cos your [email protected] dosent mean you wont be [email protected], although there is less of a chance. my first two years @ my scottish uni dont count **** all towards my final mark.....so i just do what i think is enough and i am stil above average-just a point.

ReputationRep:
    teachers lie, uni is harder, you have to be motivated and if you're not enthusiastic about your subject you'll probably drop out/fail. but if you like your subject you might actually enjoy learning

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
    wow so you're going to be like....the ultimate doctor :albertein:
    your degrees must have helped quite a bit with medicine?
    Not really, because I've never done anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, sociology, psychology etc...

It does mean my essays etc are usually fairly good though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    AT jus cos your [email protected] dosent mean you wont be [email protected], although there is less of a chance. my first two years @ my scottish uni dont count **** all towards my final mark.....so i just do what i think is enough and i am stil above average-just a point.
    Try telling that to the 277 AAA/AAB students in my year of my course. Someone has gotta be bottom... Only one person can be top...

ReputationRep:
    I'm relieved the consensus seems to be that university level exams are harder. I'm bored to tears at the minute and couldn't imagine 4 more years of remember and recall work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loopz)
    yeah that's me, top of my classes, i think i don't like german because i'm not top!! thats really my only experience of not being top! (even though a couple of people got higher gcse's than me, they weren't so good throughout the year).
    I am actually quite worried about that. But also kind of excited at 'meeting people like me' hahaha! At the moment i can't go: 'i'm worried about x'- because everyone tells me to shut up and if i can't do it the rest of the class will fail! and they 'know' im going to do well, well they're not me! I just walked up to my exam the other day and another girl was like 'urgh lucy ur gonna do really well, you're such a ****' Its this season of back-handed compliments again but i don't think i like it!
    Lol I know what you mean. It's like I'm not allowed to be worried because if I say I am, everyone just tells me to shut up and says 'oh you're going to get an A anyway.' If I say I'm going to fail, I get comments like 'if you fail, the rest of us are screwed!' So much pressure

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.