Turn on thread page Beta

AS level computin questions - please help! watch

ReputationRep:
    please could some1 help me, my teacher hasnt taught us a thing at all, yet he wants us to do these questions!

Explain how a relationship may be represented by the use of a foreign key.

Use a QBE grid to show how you would find the name, form, sex, of all the people who got a grade A

Use a QBE grid to show how you would find the name, form, sex and all the people who got between grade A and grade C

i ahve worked hard to do all the other questions set despite the terrible teaching, but i am really stuck on these, i just don't hav a clue!

help appreciated.

from tommy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello_forum)
    please could some1 help me, my teacher hasnt taught us a thing at all, yet he wants us to do these questions!

Use a QBE grid to show how you would find the name, form, sex, of all the people who got a grade A

Use a QBE grid to show how you would find the name, form, sex and all the people who got between grade A and grade C

i ahve worked hard to do all the other questions set despite the terrible teaching, but i am really stuck on these, i just don't hav a clue!

help appreciated.

from tommy.
    please someone! its pretty urgent!

ReputationRep:
    please someone! its pretty urgent!
    im not sure..i think i did a diff board coz ive not heard of QBE ...

try this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)
    im not sure..i think i did a diff board coz ive not heard of QBE ...

try this
    thankyou so much!

my teacher does not teach! literally!

he is away half the time and for the rest we just do meaningless practicals on the pc which hav nothin to do with anythin!

ReputationRep:
    thankyou so much!

my teacher does not teach! literally!

he is away half the time and for the rest we just do meaningless practicals on the pc which hav nothin to do with anythin!
    sorry i am still stuck!

i jsut dont ahv a clue about these questions!

please help some1

sorry 4 being paranoid, but its due 2moz.

thanks to any1 who can answer any of teh questions, especially the first 1 of the 3.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i am still stuck!

i jsut dont ahv a clue about these questions!

please help some1

sorry 4 being paranoid, but its due 2moz.

thanks to any1 who can answer any of teh questions, especially the first 1 of the 3.
    noo!!!

why wont any1 reply! please!

ReputationRep:

help appreciated.

from tommy.
    relationship is when you join two tables together. the key in one table is the foreign key in another.

qbe = query by example. go into access and design a query. the 'grid' is the design of the query.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    relationship is when you join two tables together. the key in one table is the foreign key in another.

qbe = query by example. go into access and design a query. the 'grid' is the design of the query.
    ohh god, i just dont get any of this!!

so the answer to the first 1 is: a relationship may be represented by the use of a foreign key by linking the two tables together according to the field that is apparent in both tables. The two tables can be linked by the primary key in the first table and the same field that still appears in the other table. Thus this field being the foreign key.

is this correct or does it mean rubbish?

can u give a better answer to the question? please!

ReputationRep:
    ohh god, i just dont get any of this!!

so the answer to the first 1 is: a relationship may be represented by the use of a foreign key by linking the two tables together according to the field that is apparent in both tables. The two tables can be linked by the primary key in the first table and the same field that still appears in the other table. Thus this field being the foreign key.

is this correct or does it mean rubbish?

can u give a better answer to the question? please!
    is this a good answer to the question kizen?

do u hav a better one?

please offer one if you can, coz i dont hav a clue!

ReputationRep:
    is this a good answer to the question kizen?

do u hav a better one?

please offer one if you can, coz i dont hav a clue!
    hello?

sorry 4 pestering people, but i really do need some help on this question.

is my answer alright, or do u know a better way to put it?

*looks over to kikzen as he knows this stuff!*

ReputationRep:
    hello?

sorry 4 pestering people, but i really do need some help on this question.

is my answer alright, or do u know a better way to put it?

*looks over to kikzen as he knows this stuff!*
    why is evry1 ignoring me? please people, i only wanted a bit of help.

ReputationRep:
    eh yeh probably

dont worry! you'll be fine !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    eh yeh probably

dont worry! you'll be fine !
    thanks. anyway, ihave extended my answer, and tidied it up on microsoft word to make more sense.

answer: When two tables are connected using a relational database the primary key from the table on the 'one' side of the relationship is held in the table on the 'many' side, to represent that connection where it is known as the foreign key.
    A relationship may be represented by the use of a foreign key, by linking the two tables together according to the field that is prevalent in both tables. The primary key in the first table and the same field that is apparent in the other table can be linked to form a relationship between the two tables. Hence, this field is termed as being the foreign key.

there!!!

ohhh, and finally

i can do those grids now, its really basic and its simple what my teacher is looking 4. however, there is 1 bit that i really am stuck on!!

Give one advantage and one disadvantage of using an index in a database.
    Give one reason for using multiple indexes in a database.

*curls up into a ball and cries*

i would really appreciate answers to this!! sorry! but my teacher does not teach! and thats no exaggeration!

ReputationRep:
    thanks. anyway, ihave extended my answer, and tidied it up on microsoft word to make more sense.

answer: When two tables are connected using a relational database the primary key from the table on the 'one' side of the relationship is held in the table on the 'many' side, to represent that connection where it is known as the foreign key.
    A relationship may be represented by the use of a foreign key, by linking the two tables together according to the field that is prevalent in both tables. The primary key in the first table and the same field that is apparent in the other table can be linked to form a relationship between the two tables. Hence, this field is termed as being the foreign key.

there!!!

ohhh, and finally

i can do those grids now, its really basic and its simple what my teacher is looking 4. however, there is 1 bit that i really am stuck on!!

i would really appreciate answers to this!! sorry! but my teacher does not teach! and thats no exaggeration!
    thanks anyway to all the people who can help. i know this isnt ideal, but myteacher isnt teaching and i dont wanna tell him coz it aint nice. it will hurt his feelings coz he is a nice guy and we get on well.

a whit elie is ebtter than a black truth lol.

ReputationRep:

wat school do u go to, my teacher doesn't teach but he doesn't even st us questions liek that, he just gives us mock databases to make, goes do it for nxt week. Then tests it until there is a mistake and never checks it again, we'v jus skipped most of them. No idea what index u r on about, if its primary key i can help (ps do u use Microsoft Access)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    wat school do u go to, my teacher doesn't teach but he doesn't even st us questions liek that, he just gives us mock databases to make, goes do it for nxt week. Then tests it until there is a mistake and never checks it again, we'v jus skipped most of them. No idea what index u r on about, if its primary key i can help (ps do u use Microsoft Access)

its microsoft access

"One method for doing this is for the database to build an INDEX on the primary key field...."

that will giv you a clue.
    help appreciated, ty.

ReputationRep:

its microsoft access

"One method for doing this is for the database to build an INDEX on the primary key field...."

that will giv you a clue.
    help appreciated, ty.

ReputationRep:
    seriously though, stop posting every minute !

+easy to search
    -requires more memory usage

thing of a library with many books of the same title and ISBN...

ReputationRep:
    the worrying thing is that i got full marks in AS computing last year and can't remember any of this, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    the worrying thing is that i got full marks in AS computing last year and can't remember any of this, lol.
    actually the most worrying thing is that im supposed to be doing the same course and no jack all.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2003
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.