What reasonable changes would you make to the UCAS system and why? Watch

This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Many of us have already applied and been through the hassle of it all. So has anoyone thought of ideas they'd like to see and why?

How about sending different personal statements for different courses? Sicne I've come across some that seem to have been at a disadvantage by applying to two different courses, which can make personal statements a bit tricky to write.

Any offers?
Monteferro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It was a hassle? I've seen people apply to unis in the US and Canada, and they had to fill in lots of forms (e.g. ones about co-curricular activities), write up essay after essay (this is for the US), and take extra tests (i.e. the SATs & SAT IIs). Applying to Canada isn't too much of a hassle (no essays and no SATs) but then the application system isn't as efficient and organised as UCAS. Each province has its own system so there is no common application system for the entire country. And don't get me started on the US application system, it was a huge source of stress for many of my friends.

Apart from the different personal statements for different courses idea, I don't think that there's anything we should change about the UCAS system - it's fast, efficient, and easy to use. I think we should just consider ourselves lucky that the application process is so much more straightforward than those of other countries.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think if we have something to change like our qualifications we can change stuff ourselves such as changing the exam boards, adding qualifications, dropping a subject like dropping an AS or A2, etc...). After that, we send it back to UCAS, and UCAS could contact the uni about the changes. Therefore, UCAS and the uni won't have to change them. They are already in a lot stress already.
Chris87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
UCAS has been pretty good for me but I'd like the ability for teachers to change predicted grades once your application has been sent off or at least if you want to make an extra application.
Colly
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think you should be able to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge (although that is probably more to do with the universities themselves than UCAS.)
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Maybe not send it til everyone's got their grades? Stops ridiculous predictions.
PS thing might be good, but I applied for totally different courses (variations on politics and variations on computing) with one ps and got 5/6 offers
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Possibly extend the choices to 8 from 6? In case you have different courses? Only a suggestion.
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It may not be reasonable but I think it would be better if everyone were to apply post-results.
Sleep
Report 13 years ago
I agree, force you to show AS grades or wait till real grades have come out by delaying the process; predicted grades are a joke at best...
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sleep)
I agree, force you to show AS grades or wait till real grades have come out by delaying the process; predicted grades are a joke at best...
Exactly, I know a fair few people who got predictions 2-3 grades higher than AS result - fair enough one bad module could drag you down a grade but not 2-3.
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think you should be allowed to withdraw and submit a new personal statement if you change your mind, instead of having to reapply the next year.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think for medical students should be allowed to apply to 6 instead of 4 uni's. In addition, we should apply to at least 8 as the person in this thread said, but not changing the application cost.
Chris87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I think for medical students should be allowed to apply to 6 instead of 4 uni's. In addition, we should apply to at least 8 as the person in this thread said, but not changing the application cost.
Why 8? If you get 8 offers from all Universities you'll find it even more difficult to decide if you get 6 offers at the moment! Also, it would be more work for admissions tutors and it would also slow down the application process.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chris87)
Why 8? If you get 8 offers from all applications you'll find it even more difficult to decide if you get 6 offers at the moment! Also, it would be more work for admissions tutors and it would also slow down the application process.
I agree with everything you said but students applying for medicine very rarely get more than two or three offers, never mind 8.
Nellz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd make the school you go to invisible to universities and just have the dates you attended school. This would solve the state/private argument and stop discrimination.
twenty1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i don't like the way you can't see your reference until its been sent. I paid to see mine afterwards because i was curious... and it wasn't what I was expecting.

I'd dropped physics after a month into L6 cos i hated it........ and they still wrote about it 2 years afterwards in my reference... even though it had nothing to do with my course in the slightest! I'd never even taken a physics exam
Nellz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by twenty1)
i don't like the way you can't see your reference until its been sent. I paid to see mine afterwards because i was curious... and it wasn't what I was expecting.

I'd dropped physics after a month into L6 cos i hated it........ and they still wrote about it 2 years afterwards in my reference... even though it had nothing to do with my course in the slightest! I'd never even taken a physics exam
Technically under the freedom of information act your school are legally obliged to show the reference if you request it.

My school does this but you can only see it after you've applied, when they get round to organising it in December, and that was when I say my own mistakes, but the school were nice about it and rectified it and it didn't seem to affect my application too much.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chris87)
Why 8? If you get 8 offers from all Universities you'll find it even more difficult to decide if you get 6 offers at the moment! Also, it would be more work for admissions tutors and it would also slow down the application process.
That's true. However, some people don't fnd it difficult to decide might want more choices. :p: In addition, I think medical courses should have 6 choices instead of 4 though.
Chris87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
That's true. However, some people don't fnd it difficult to decide might want more choices. :p: In addition, I think medical courses should have 6 choices instead of 4 though.
Yeah I agree with the last part of what you said but the number of applications has to be drawn somewhere because otherwise people will start saying they should be allowed to apply to even more or as many Universities as they want to, which seems a bit pointless to me when they'll only go to one anyway.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think you should be able to have three final choices. A firm and an insurance, and a if-everything-goes-horribly-wrong choice! (or maybe just for people like me who don't think they'll get the grades!)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads