The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
you take the latter quote out of context by not showing the whole sentence i merely said, in comparison to those who have to deal with loss of life as a result of terrorism, they can deal with the quran being kicked, it seems fairly trivial in comparison.

we know how we are supposed to behave, it is a small proportion of american soldiers who commit these acts. I think being allowed to have their quransis right enough, how are prisoners taken by the enemy treated do you suppose? i know we cannt compare us to them but isolated cases of low level prisoner abuse being talked of so strongly does indicate to me at least that we are missing the bigger picture. Yes wel all have it in mind, i did not dispute that, i am merely saying, that whilst we are wasting time and money on sorting out these cases, the time and the money could be better spent elsewhere.
jacko!
you take the latter quote out of context by not showing the whole sentence i merely said, in comparison to those who have to deal with loss of life as a result of terrorism, they can deal with the quran being kicked, it seems fairly trivial in comparison.

Context or not, you said that they could deal with it; that it can be condoned.
Reply 42
Tonight Matthew
You genuinely don't think that kicking a Koran is likely to anger young Muslims, fire up anti-Americanism, etc?

Anyone considering terrorism or the support of is unlikely to hold an indifferent view of America irrespective of what they say or do. Iraqi opinion of the US hardly altered before and after Abu Ghraib. We only harm ourselves by allowing such prevalent anti-Americanism to violently formulate on our own doorstep, the recent protests in London are an example. I havent seen the MCB condeming calls of treason and murder, quite the contrary, theyve been supporting it. British society hasnt drawn a distinction in that respect.

Well, that's just plain ridiculous.

Glad to have you on board.
jacko!

we know how we are supposed to behave, it is a small proportion of american soldiers who commit these acts. I think being allowed to have their quransis right enough, how are prisoners taken by the enemy treated do you suppose? i know we cannt compare us to them but isolated cases of low level prisoner abuse being talked of so strongly does indicate to me at least that we are missing the bigger picture. Yes wel all have it in mind, i did not dispute that, i am merely saying, that whilst we are wasting time and money on sorting out these cases, the time and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Whether it takes time and costs money or not, it's going through this process that is part of the reason why we are better than they are. Thus it's necessary.
Vienna
Anyone considering terrorism or the support of is unlikely to hold an indifferent view of America irrespective of what they say or do. Iraqi opinion of the US hardly altered before and after Abu Ghraib.

Unfortunately, Iraq isn't the only possible breeding ground for terrorism. I'd be interested to see how opinion of the US altered before and after Abu Ghraib in the Occupied Territories (or whatever you want to call it), for example.

Vienna
Glad to have you on board

:wink:
Reply 45
tonight matthew
Context or not, you said that they could deal with it; that it can be condoned.

that by no means, means i imply it can be condoned.
re read my point. i said if people who lost freinds or loved ones in 9/11 can deal with it, so can they.

i sincerly hope your not implying that i condone the attacks on america?
No, clearly not. I just think you saying that the detainees can deal with it looks suspiciously like condoning it.
Reply 47
Vienna
but im under no illusions who the real enemy are in this conflict, what they are capable and what they think of human rights.
Yes Vienna, unfortunately some of the main stream press *are* under illusions of who the real enemy is.
Reply 48
Vienna

I think the point Douglas is making is that we, or rather the media, have so lost sight of the bigger picture in a desperate self-deprecating attempt to maintain the moral high ground.
Much of the mainstream media loathes Bush et al, I think they're using the "moral high ground" as an excuse to butcher him.....Do you think the NY Times actually cares if a soldier pees on the Koran?
jacko!
can we not judge those muslims who killed thousands in America on 9/11?

Cant you judge more than one group?
i can.
Vienna
I suggest you dont know the British anti-war movement very well.

and you do do you my French friend?
Reply 51
objectivism
Urinating on the Koran is uncivilised in my opinion. But i dont think I have a right to enforce my opinion on another (no one shoud), if its their property they can do with it as they wish as long as it does not harm another (harming is wrong, offending is not). In fact it is through conflict that our society progresses, when we are in conflict we discover our true natures according to Mill.

If a guard was making racial insults, than he should be socially ostracised, but not legally punished. I believe in freedom of speech fully.

Just because urinatiing on the Koran is offensive to all Muslims is not a justification. What does it matter if one person is offended or a billion? An action is either right or wrong, quantative factors play no part.

Do you think urinating on any book is acceptable? I don't know about you, but to me it is disrespectful regardless of what the book says. Add to the fact that this book happens to be holy according to some, and it isnt a case of "oh shall we just piss on this?" more of "lets piss on this and see how much media attention we can get it to divert the real issue". Unfortunately everyone is now talking about the pissing on the Koran rather than the treatment of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghrab etc etc
Reply 52
jiggaman7
restraint against what??
and however "wonderful" the terrorists are, doesnt mean guards have the right to kick the Qur'an something offensive to all muslims.
If a situation requires that we extract information from a prisoner, should we......

A:..Kick a prisoners Koran or

B:..Kick a prisoner in the balls ?
jiggaman7
restraint against what??
and however "wonderful" the terrorists are, doesnt mean guards have the right to kick the Qur'an something offensive to all muslims.

We shouldn't even be giving them Korans in the first place. I don't see how we are going to be successful in Iraq with all this political correctness. Imagine going this far out of our way to avoid offending the enemy in WW2? The outcome could have been very different.
Noxid
ROFL

Really they shouldnt piss on their religous books. Us Brits tend to find that creates more terrorists.

Unfortunately, you are probably right about creating more terrorists.

It's strange world we live in. It's less offensive to just shoot a would be prisoner on the battlefield than to deny him Hilton-esque accomodations.
Reply 55
I really don't know what to think to be honest. These guards should obviously have not done what they did, but their is no excuse for killing innocent people over it. It's like seeing people burn American flags- I don't like it, but I'm certaintly not going to go kill someone because they did it. Both parties are wrong in this case.
zaf1986
Do you think urinating on any book is acceptable? I don't know about you, but to me it is disrespectful regardless of what the book says. Add to the fact that this book happens to be holy according to some, and it isnt a case of "oh shall we just piss on this?" more of "lets piss on this and see how much media attention we can get it to divert the real issue". Unfortunately everyone is now talking about the pissing on the Koran rather than the treatment of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghrab etc etc

I think people who have such disregard for books, form the Koran, to the Bible, to Das Kapital to Mein Kampf are wrong. Criticise the arguments and ideas, but dont destroy it. We gain nothing from banning or destroying books. Yes its disrespectful, but does that justify taking away someone's freedom? Of course not, let them do it if its ther book, their property, and than you have the right to criticise them for it. I disagree with many people, such as communists and the BNP, but i defend their right to advocate what they believe and physically if its their property their destroying.
Reply 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko!
can we not judge those muslims who killed thousands in America on 9/11?

rome
Cant you judge more than one group?
i can.

err yes. your point has no relevance whatsoever.

are you sayin the people who attacked the twin towers wern't muslims?
Reply 58
Tonight Matthew
Unfortunately, Iraq isn't the only possible breeding ground for terrorism. I'd be interested to see how opinion of the US altered before and after Abu Ghraib in the Occupied Territories (or whatever you want to call it), for example. :wink:
I don't think their opinions changed at all, the fundalmentalist muslims have declared holy war on the West, they hated us before, and they hate us now.

The damage that's been done by publishing this trivial pap, is to the American, and to some extent coalition forces, and of course, to the current administration, in addition to adding fuel to the fires of hatred.
Reply 59
As you may know, the ACLU filed suit against the department of defense, demanding the release of more pictures/information depicting the "atrocities" of the Marines.

One can assume that the pentagon released this recent info to deflect the impending lawsuit, they were judicious enough to release it at around 6:00 pm friday night for minimun impact.

Latest

Trending

Trending