Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    How come hunny? :hugs:
    lol probably because of all the stupid "so you hate me, thats perfectly healthy. now tell me why" questions

ReputationRep:
    Mottephobia - fear of moths.
    lepidophobia - fear of butterflies

I'v had it since i was about 3, have numerous friends and family catching them and throwing them at me in the hope to "cure me" but only get more scared of them!:eek: Its slightly more than a fear though, when its "moth season" as i like to call it, i always check the room for anything that could flutter before i walk into it and i WILL NOT have any windows open in the house just incase a moth flies in. Whats even stranger is that its only the dark coloured ones that bother me, if a white moth flies in i won't even give it a second glance... :confused:

Steph x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .[s)
    fluff[/s].]Mottephobia - fear of moths.
    lepidophobia - fear of butterflies

I'v had it since i was about 3, have numerous friends and family catching them and throwing them at me in the hope to "cure me" but only get more scared of them!:eek:
    Aww thats cruel, just like my Mam throwing toe nails at me!

ReputationRep:
    I fear getting fat and being lonely. I also fear rejection and failure but it might be more just worry as opposed to a phobia.

ReputationRep:
    Do phobias also refer to wariness when it comes to dangerous animals? With poisonous snakes? I'm not scared of them per say, I just know they could possibly kill me.

ReputationRep:
    fear of light.. what the HELL

ReputationRep:
    Aww thats cruel, just like my Mam throwing toe nails at me!
    i think its a common misconception that people with phobias will be cured if you inflict the thing they are afraid of on them often enough.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .[s)
    fluff[/s].]i think its a common misconception that people with phobias will be cured if you inflict the thing they are afraid of on them often enough.... :rolleyes:
    I think systematic desensitization may be a better way As opposed to 'I'm gonna chuck it in your face right now!' Start slowly and move up unti you're cured, or at lease not as phobic! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Mind you, my Mam throwing toenails at me is purely for her own amusement! :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixie_eyes)
    I have a terrible phobia of needles and injections. Started 5 years ago when I had my TB injection. I know everyone went through the same, but mine was so painful, I hated it. It's quite a bad phobia as I'm put off going on holiday to places needing injections. I have needed a tetanus jab for 3 years. I also need 3 injections and a blood test to apply for dentistry. I realise this phobia is somewhat dangerous too.
    If i went in to have an injection, I would eventually have it i'm sure, but with a lot of hassle. What can I do? Anyone got the same? Im not afraid of seeing or touching needles or anything like that, just injection and fluid going into my muscle/vein.
    I have this. Used to be very very severe in that it actually did affect my day-to-day life...I couldn't look at a picture of a needle (and actually I still have a teeny bit of trouble even typing the word, lol) or anything that might remind me of anything related to it (I never realised how much of a presence it actually is until this started, lol).

Long and the short of it was that I got very depressed, had panic attacks etc. but even though it's still there it doesn't control me any more. Trying to desensitize myself made it worse. For me avoidance was the best thing. Keep out of the way of it as much as you can and eventually hopefully it'll stop being quite such a little demon...

...The mind is such a weird thing :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I have a phobia of stone spiral staircases, like the ones found in castles. However, I'm fine if the stone has a simple covering on it eg a running carpet. Similarly, I'm also fine if the spiral staircase is made of wood or metal. It's just stone I'm scared of, and as a geeky fan of castles, this does prove to be quite a problem!

I once forced myself to go up a spiral staircase when I visited a castle, but I couldn't get back down again. I couldn't even go near the top step without panicking and actually feeling sick. Eventually I had to find someone and ask if there was another way down, luckily there was, or else I could still be stuck at the top of a turret at this very moment.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.