What's a generous weekly budget for a student? Watch

Brouhaha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm not trying to show off here or anything! But my parents are pretty reasonably off at the moment, and I think they're open to suggestion as to how much my weekly budget should be. I can only get minimum student loan so they'll be helping me out. As my parents didn't go to uni, we're struggling to come up with a weekly budget (for food, books, travel expenses -- though I'll live on campus -- , going out, clothes etc... ideally leaving some left over for cheap yearly holiday and emergencies). Basically we want to come up with something that's reasonably generous but which doesn't take the mickey. Any suggestions?
-WhySoSerious?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.ucas.com/students/student...get_calculator

go!
Mr_Deeds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Books are usually a one off so I wouldn't include that in your weekly budget. Plus, there's usually a pretty well stocked and free library for everything else that isn't a strict necessity. For food £30 a week would be more than reasonable and if you're shrewd with your money you can afford to have a good few nights out a week for not more than the same amount. I doubt you'd buy clothes weekly but you might; assuming you're the rule and not the exception I'd leave about £50 a month for that sort of thing. Then you have your phone bill and the odd few quid for, well, whatever. On that basis I'd say that, excluding your accommodation fees, roughly £80 a week would be pretty generous and more than enough. :yep:
Glucosinolate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Unless i can get a job, i'm looking at £50-£80 per week excluding accommodation, and i think i'm on the lower end of the spectrum, moneywise. Good for you if your parents are willing to help, i'd say £90 per week or so would be pretty generous, but it depends a lot on where you're going
RadioElectric
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Brouhaha)
I'm not trying to show off here or anything! But my parents are pretty reasonably off at the moment, and I think they're open to suggestion as to how much my weekly budget should be. I can only get minimum student loan so they'll be helping me out. As my parents didn't go to uni, we're struggling to come up with a weekly budget (for food, books, travel expenses -- though I'll live on campus -- , going out, clothes etc... ideally leaving some left over for cheap yearly holiday and emergencies). Basically we want to come up with something that's reasonably generous but which doesn't take the mickey. Any suggestions?
How well off? I know some people at my university whose parents have set them up with houses.

1) Buy a house for your child to stay in during their university course.
2) Rent out rooms in the house to other students at the university. That'll pay most of the bills and mortgage, and your child is living for free.
3) Profit.
yoyo462001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RadioElectric)
How well off? I know some people at my university whose parents have set them up with houses.

2) Rent out rooms in the house to other students at the university. That'll pay most of the bills and mortgage, and your child is living for free.
3) Profit.
My parents were going to do that for me and my bro if we went to the same Uni, but it seemed like the whole point of uni about being Independent went out the drain.
theronkinator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Without a job I'm going to be on about £55, so I'd say £70-80 would be generous.
Rainbow-Dream
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RadioElectric)

3) Profit.
I'd never have thought of that myself. Uni is 2 years away for me though
Do you know of anyone who has done this?
spl00sh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say £200 between the eating out everyday, buying clothes, going out..
I lived comfortably on that during uni
Montarnna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm getting a job, so that'll probably be £70 a week, and parents are giving me another £70
Accomodation is paid for by the governmnet, so I'm planning on living well on that
EarlHickey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by spl00sh)
I'd say £200 between the eating out everyday, buying clothes, going out..
I lived comfortably on that during uni
Are you joking!

Then again I knew a girl who got £800 a month from parents, and £12 a hour working (and they paid travel expenses) working about 10 hours a week then by week 2 of the month would complain how skint she was and knocked on my door asking for a loan of a fiver this was every month.
Yasmeenax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EarlHickey)
Are you joking!

Then again I knew a girl who got £800 a month from parents, and £12 a hour working (and they paid travel expenses) working about 10 hours a week then by week 2 of the month would complain how skint she was and knocked on my door asking for a loan of a fiver this was every month.
Lolwut? O_O
spl00sh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you joking!

Well maybe it's a girl thing but i spend £30 on a night out (i like cocktails) twice a week, food like £10 a day, clothes/makeup £50, society stuff £20
EarlHickey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by spl00sh)
Well maybe it's a girl thing but i spend £30 on a night out (i like cocktails) twice a week, food like £10 a day, clothes/makeup £50, society stuff £20
I can understand the drinking as when I first turned 18 got more than 1 student account and went on drinking binges of like £20 then £30 then £40 etc.

But I dont understand how clothes and makeup are £50 a week unless you are buying loads of new clothes every week and all expensive make up.

I am sure you can cut that down with taking out some exessive luxuries and buying cheaper food and things.
Joel4fun4u
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
About £80 a week excluding accomodation. Get a few thou in the bank as extra spending money though.
mackey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I could potentially spend £160 a week but I'm going to try to keep it at £100 max, then save the rest. Ideally I'd work part time next to uni to feed my excessive spending habits. How the money burns in my pocket. The pain, the agony :p:. But on a serious note, I admire those that can budget tightly and stick to it.
spl00sh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can understand the drinking as when I first turned 18 got more than 1 student account and went on drinking binges of like £20 then £30 then £40 etc.

But I dont understand how clothes and makeup are £50 a week unless you are buying loads of new clothes every week and all expensive make up.

I am sure you can cut that down with taking out some exessive luxuries and buying cheaper food and things.
Well a dress is normally like 60-100, tops 20-30 a pop, makeup an eyeshadow is like £10 etc.
i could cut down obviously but that wouldn't be living comfortably for me!
Joel4fun4u
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mackey)
I could potentially spend £160 a week but I'm going to try to keep it at £100 max, then save the rest. Ideally I'd work part time next to uni to feed my excessive spending habits. How the money burns in my pocket. The pain, the agony :p:. But on a serious note, I admire those that can budget tightly and stick to it.
Why would you admire them? They're simply doing what is essential, along with hundreds of millions of others worldwide. It's not hard to spend wisely, princess.
RayW
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm planning to live on £50 per week next year.
RadioElectric
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rainbow-Dream)
I'd never have thought of that myself. Uni is 2 years away for me though
Do you know of anyone who has done this?
Four people.

1. Has the house and mortgage in his name.
2. Has the house and mortgage in his parents' names.
3. I'm not sure of.
4. Has the house in his name and has now bought another one!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (56)
25.57%
No (163)
74.43%

Watched Threads