This discussion is closed.
Tom Salls
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[email protected] says...
[q1]> It's always good to have additional textbooks to help you out.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Biology: Green, Stout & Taylor, Biological Science is excellent for many aspects of biology -[/q1]
[q1]> especially cell biology, genetics, anatomy and physiology.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Chemistry: Chemistry in Context (5th edition iirc)[/q1]

Hey, thanks Martina. I'm currently using the Edexcel recommended textbooks for Chem and Biol, and a
textbook called "Advanced Biology For You" that someone recommended -- it's rather Janet and John in
places, but covers the material reasonably well. It gives a good overview where the Edexcel book
gets bogged down in detail.

I will say that the Edexcel Chem books are far far better than the Edexcel Biol books. It's very
clear that the Biology textbook was created at least partially by cut-and-paste. There are some
sections that redefine things three times! It also has plenty of stuff which is completely outside
the syllabus.

I've been on the lookout for a good Chemistry textbook to complement the Edexcel chem. books, so
I'll definitely have a look at "Chemistry in Context".

Cheers,

Tom
Martina
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> > Biology: Green, Stout & Taylor, Biological Science is excellent for many aspects of biology -[/q2]
[q2]> > especially cell biology, genetics, anatomy and physiology.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Chemistry: Chemistry in Context (5th edition iirc)[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Hey, thanks Martina. I'm currently using the Edexcel recommended textbooks for Chem and Biol,[/q1]

lucky you. When I first started my A-levels, I wasn't recommended the syllabus-specific textbooks by
my correspondence college. I got a B in Human Biology. Then I used the proper Edexcel textbooks,
resat and in one module went from 63/90 to 90/90!!! (and improved by about 10 - 15% in the other two
modules I resat).

and a textbook called "Advanced Biology For
[q1]> You" that someone recommended -- it's rather Janet and John[/q1]

[q1])))))) that's a nice expression.[/q1]

in places,
[q1]> but covers the material reasonably well. It gives a good overview where the Edexcel book gets[/q1]
[q1]> bogged down in detail.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Green, Stout and Taylor is also very detailed, but lucid too - you'll get a much better
understanding of the topic.

[q1]> I will say that the Edexcel Chem books are far far better than the Edexcel Biol books. It's very[/q1]
[q1]> clear that the Biology textbook was created at least partially by cut-and-paste. There are some[/q1]
[q1]> sections that redefine things three times! It also has plenty of stuff which is completely outside[/q1]
[q1]> the syllabus.[/q1]

stick with it and learn what it says, it was probably written by people who set the exams.

[q1]> I've been on the lookout for a good Chemistry textbook to complement the Edexcel chem. books, so[/q1]
[q1]> I'll definitely have a look at "Chemistry in Context".[/q1]

It has loads and loads of past questions (for various syllabi) at the back. Heaven.

M.
Martina
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> it's rather Janet and John in places,[/q1]

Dear me, this one took me quite a while to work out. Finally I got help from The Guardian :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/internetne...626821,00.html

And this should be the clue to the origin of the phrase I reckon:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/edu...00/1106965.stm

Hope I'm right!

Anyway, thanks for the phrase, it's going into my collection.

M.
Tom Salls
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Green, Stout and Taylor is also very detailed, but lucid too - you'll get a much better[/q1]
[q1]> understanding of the topic.[/q1]

Ta muchly, then I'll have a look see for that one too.

[q2]> > It's very clear that the [Edexcel] Biology textbook was created at least partially by[/q2]
[q2]> > cut-and-paste. There are some sections that redefine things three times! It also has plenty of[/q2]
[q2]> > stuff which is completely outside the syllabus.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> stick with it and learn what it says, it was probably written by people who set the exams.[/q1]

Oh, it was. It's still awfully written! But I'll take your advice and press on with it. I've got a
year to try to make sense of it, after all.

[q2]> > I've been on the lookout for a good Chemistry textbook to complement the Edexcel chem. books, so[/q2]
[q2]> > I'll definitely have a look at "Chemistry in Context".[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It has loads and loads of past questions (for various syllabi) at the back. Heaven.[/q1]

[Drools quietly]

<Monty Burns> Excellent. </Monty Burns>

Tom
Tom Salls
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> > it's rather Janet and John in places,[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Dear me, this one took me quite a while to work out.[/q1]
[...]
[q1]> And this should be the clue to the origin of the phrase I reckon:[/q1]
[q1]> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/edu...00/1106965.stm Hope I'm right![/q1]

That's right, I told you I was an old fart. (28 in a few days. Gosh. How time flies when you're
having fun).

Tom
Martina
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> That's right, I told you I was an old fart. (28 in a few days. Gosh. How time flies when you're[/q1]
[q1]> having fun).[/q1]

Happy birthday then!

M.
Peter Lloyd
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Tom Salls" <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]> [email protected] says...[/q1]
[q2]> > It's always good to have additional textbooks to help you out.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Biology: Green, Stout & Taylor, Biological Science is excellent for many aspects of biology -[/q2]
[q2]> > especially cell biology, genetics, anatomy and physiology.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Chemistry: Chemistry in Context (5th edition iirc)[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Hey, thanks Martina. I'm currently using the Edexcel recommended textbooks for Chem and Biol, and[/q1]
[q1]> a textbook called "Advanced Biology For You" that someone recommended -- it's rather Janet and[/q1]
[q1]> John in places, but covers the material reasonably well. It gives a good overview where the[/q1]
[q1]> Edexcel book gets bogged down in detail.[/q1]

I've just finished Edexcel (Nuffield) Chemistry, and that consists of a course textbook which
supposedly contains all you need to know. The book we turned to most frequently when we needed
something clarifying was "Advanced Chemistry for you" - Your comments on the biology one seem to
cover this almost exactly - but even so I felt it was a good aid to use.

The other book we all had a copy of was "Understanding Chemistry" - which I don't believe anybody in
our chemistry group was overly impressed with.

Peter
Tom Salls
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> "Tom Salls" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> > Hey, thanks Martina. I'm currently using the Edexcel recommended textbooks for Chem and Biol,[/q2]
[q2]> > and a textbook called "Advanced Biology For You" that someone recommended -- it's rather Janet[/q2]
[q2]> > and John in places, but covers the material reasonably well. It gives a good overview where the[/q2]
[q2]> > Edexcel book gets bogged down in detail.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I've just finished Edexcel (Nuffield) Chemistry, and that consists of a course textbook which[/q1]
[q1]> supposedly contains all you need to know. The book we turned to most frequently when we needed[/q1]
[q1]> something clarifying was "Advanced Chemistry for you" - Your comments on the biology one seem to[/q1]
[q1]> cover this almost exactly - but even so I felt it was a good aid to use.[/q1]

Thanks, this is proving very useful. Next time I'm in a bookshop, I'll see if I can find a copy of
"Advanced Chemistry for you" to browse through. I find it often helps to have material explained in
a different way -- having a second textbook to rely on would probably have sorted out the
equilibrium problem that had me scratching my head at the beginning of this thread.

Cheers,

Tom
Martina
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Btw, you might be able to get help from here:

http://www.studyzones.com/

(registration necessary).

This is what they claim to do: "Designed specifically for students studying for 'A' and 'GCSE' level
exams and with an online essay submission section alongside the ability to ask professional tutors
for help, Studyzones has created an online educational establishment second to none. With help for
tutors round the clock and the rest of the World Wide Web as a library why choose anywhere else for
help with your studies. Created by The Faculty Media and with an ever growing database of qualified
teachers behind the site, Studyzones aims to create a unique learning aid. Unlike many other
"revision" or "homework" style sites, Studyzones is aimed at offering a complete interactive
resource rather than the ability to simply cut and paste work into ones own essay. By delivering an
online support system, Studyzones will advise, grade work and even offer advice on reference
material to help you enhance your essays and work further. With reviews and news on books and events
and details of where to go for exam revision papers. Studyzones is a truly interactive site whose
content changes and moves according to the wants and wishes of the user base. The site, built in
Allaire Spectre, one of the most dynamic and diverse systems for content management, reacts to site
visitors uploading working and remembers, through a dynamic user profiling system, the particulars
of each individual studyzones member. This allows site visitors to keep a full and documented record
of all work submitted, marked and graded by the Studyzones team." I only asked one question there
and it took them longer to answer than they promised (48 hours) but they did answer in the end. Not
sure if they work during the holidays though.

http://www.topmarks.co.uk/ could also help.

Now, we've overwhelmed you with information.

M.
Tom Salls
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> > That's right, I told you I was an old fart. (28 in a few days. Gosh. How time flies when you're[/q2]
[q2]> > having fun).[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Happy birthday then![/q1]

Cor, thanks. But I'm going to be spending my 28th birthday doing volunteer work in a hospice, so the
chances of that are minimal.

Cheers

Tom
Tom Salls
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Btw, you might be able to get help from here:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> http://www.studyzones.com/[/q1]

Thanks Martina. But it doesn't seem to be too popular, does it?

"There are 2 students currently online Tom Active @ 04:59 PM Martina Active @ 04:42 PM"

Helloooo there! Echo ... echo ... echo ... ;>

[q1]> http://www.topmarks.co.uk/ could also help.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Now, we've overwhelmed you with information. [/q1]

No, it's all good and much appreciated. I'll put the topmarks URL to the side for when I have a few
spare cycles.

Thanks

Tom
Martina
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> > Btw, you might be able to get help from here:[/q2]
[q1]> Thanks Martina. But it doesn't seem to be too popular, does it?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "There are 2 students currently online Tom Active @ 04:59 PM Martina Active @ 04:42 PM"[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Helloooo there! Echo ... echo ... echo ... ;>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

loooooooooooooooool. And remember, I was there only because I wanted to see what was going on. On
the other hand, not that many people upload coursework and homework during their summer holidays.
That also makes it easy to reach the top of the "Teachers' Pets" list, which I'm sure is your sole
purpose in life now. )

[q2]> > http://www.topmarks.co.uk/ could also help.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Now, we've overwhelmed you with information. [/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> No, it's all good and much appreciated. I'll put the topmarks URL to the side for when I have a[/q1]
[q1]> few spare cycles.[/q1]

okie doke, good luck.

M.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.06%
No (604)
65.94%

Watched Threads