The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'll also be starting Law in Durham in October, so glad somebody started this thread. It's been very informative! ^^
I'm really glad I chose the subject. I love the cases, the theory, the modules. I've just completed a week of work experience at a solicitor's and really enjoyed seeing the theory I had learnt in my first year applied directly to a contract case.

It is a hell of a lot of work but as long as you plan, organise and prioritise you will be fine. Just don't let things loom over you and do them the day before, it's the same with coursework a lot of work and research has to go into coursework and essay writing.

My only advice is make sure you will enjoy because otherwise it will be mind numbingly dull.
Reply 22
JiangYu
I took Law for A-Level and was pretty good at it, which is the primary reason for me taking law. I did enjoy it and it seemed that a career as a lawyer did tempt me in that it had all the challenges, was a great career in itself and had the money in it. Above all, it was a "law degree" which will be impressive to anyone who hears it.

My first year at University was one of the best years I had. It was just how I expected it to be, however I think I was somewhat ill-founded on just how easy it would be to find a job afterwards. Of course, at 18, no one tells you about training contracts and even if you've read about it, it doesn't carry the same conviction on just how hard it's going to be (and that was before the whole recession thing...). I honestly knew that getting a Law Degree would be difficult but that didn't stop me because I had the motivation.
My second year at University was a bit of a turning point. Despite putting in so much effort, I didn't quite get the grades I was hoping for although I did manage to pass every module, just barely! I knew I had to somehow try harder in my final year which ultimately led me to sacrifice not looking for a work placement. I'm quite glad though because my final year ended up being quite smooth and I ended up with a good comfortable 2:1. Now, I can't really start on a Training Contract until 2012 and it's not like I have one anyway...

The only thing I regret is not really knowing how difficult it would be to enter into the profession. My A-Level teacher's advice didn't carry enough conviction and neither did the things I had read (you usually need someone to tell you properly how hard it's going to be and at age 17/18 it's difficult to find a real contact). Even at University, most people didn't realise just how difficult it would be, not at least until half way through the second year.

If you don't mind me asking, which university did you go to?

I'm just curious. :smile:
Natasharox
I didn't like law - so much so I quit. I think I picked it for the wrong reasons - I did well in school, so it was kind of expected of me, and I was really only thinking about a career afterwards.

I now do politics, which I picked because I'm actually interested in it. It's difficult to force yourself to do independent work in a subject you don't enjoy.

Tell me about it. At least you had the balls to choose a different subject. Although, I am looking forward to my last year the subjects are not that bad.
MikeHarris
I'm starting Law at Durham in October, just wondering what the general consensus on here is about Law. Did you enjoy it, and do you still enjoy it? Would you change it for another subject? Is the workload too high/the work to hard etc etc. I'm sure this has been asked before in a slightly different fashion, just want to know what I'm getting myself into

Ive really enjoyed the study itself on the LLB course...but now ive come to find a job/training contract ive found that law is only for the elite....if you come from a working class background like me then theres no chance. So yes, i do regret it now.
DJkG.1

You are spot on with this advice. Getting into the Legal Profession after finishing your study is the real hard work.
Reply 26
DJkG.1

I graduated from Kingston University :smile:. Don't be deterred by its low position on the league tables - it's a new university whereas the league tables are based on reputation of which Kingston is still young to have acquired an established one. We were 2007's Guardian's New University of the year and we've jumped up several places. According to the Guardian Newspaper, we're ranked higher than Surrey Law School for Law and that's an achievement considering Surrey Law School was previously held in very high esteem coming from an established institution.
Reply 27
charli159
Ive really enjoyed the study itself on the LLB course...but now ive come to find a job/training contract ive found that law is only for the elite....if you come from a working class background like me then theres no chance. So yes, i do regret it now.

Why do you think your working class background has made it difficult for you? Are you saying that you think law firms have discriminated against you on that basis?
Reply 28
charli159

If you mean this in its most general and literal sence, I must say I find this statement to be rather worrying, but at the same time quite hard to believe. I come from a working class background myself, not taking into account many other factors that may stand against me in making my future applications, and I really wouldn't want to think that a working class background could be a disadvantage in seeking to enter legal practice. It's not that the the 'old boys network' is in force as much as it used to be in the past, and I am inclined to think that graduate law recruitment officers at law firms in the City or elsewhere could be so narrow minded as to refuse an otherwise excellent applicant, based on his/her background alone.

Are you sure there wasn't anything missing in your applications in terms of academics, work experience, extra curriculas and etc.?
Reply 29
charli159

I have to disagree with this, I am from a working class background and studied part-time at an ex-poly but I have secured a training contract with a pretty good firm and I also managed to get MC interviews and assessment centres with a couple of US firms in London (which I never attended as I had been offered my TC prior to these assessment days so I don't know how these would have panned out). With respect, I don't think it's being working class that is holding you back. Nor do I think that going to a lower tier uni is necessarily a bar either, given that my uni is quite far down the rankings. I do think that having studied part-time while working full-time has helped me overcome some of the uni issues and offers some explanation as to why I never went to a 'better' uni.
Im not saying it is like this for everyone...this is just my personal experience.Put it like this I have applied for 53 TCs altogether (over a 12 month period) and so far the rejections are rolling in fast :-( Not even an interview :-( and didnt even manage to secure a VC in my 1st or 2nd year either :-(

My TC applications range from small highstreet firms to MC firms.

My careers advisor and my mum (a HR manager) said my applications/CV are good quality. I got 4 As 2 Bs and 4 Cs at GCSE and BBB at Alevel. I suppose people on here would say that is average but that was the very best I could do considering I went to a a rough state school. Im on track for a 2:1 LLB (in my final year now) at Wolverhampton Uni (again people slate it) and have plenty of EC like work experience, mooting etc.

I feel that if I had gone to a private school and a top Uni I would not be in this situation.
The Legal profession is still for the 'elite' in my eyes... you only have to look at the statistics to see this. For example, 80% of Barristers in the UK are from Oxford & Cambridge...there is no way a working class girl like me could have got in somewhere like that.
charli159
Im not saying it is like this for everyone...this is just my personal experience.Put it like this I have applied for 53 TCs altogether (over a 12 month period) and so far the rejections are rolling in fast :-( Not even an interview :-( and didnt even manage to secure a VC in my 1st or 2nd year either :-(

My careers advisor and my mum (a HR manager) said my applications/CV are good quality. I got 4 As 2 Bs and 4 Cs at GCSE and BBB at Alevel. I suppose people on here would say that is average but that was the very best I could do considering I went to a a rough state school. Im on track for a 2:1 LLB (in my final year now) at Wolverhampton Uni (again people slate it) and have plenty of EC like work experience, mooting etc.

I feel that if I had gone to a private school and a top Uni I would not be in this situation.
The Legal profession is still for the 'elite' in my eyes... you only have to look at the statistics to see this. For example, 80% of Barristers in the UK are from Oxford & Cambridge...there is no way a working class girl like me could have got in somewhere like that.

Honestly, don't put this down to class, I'm actually pretty offended.

I was born and raised in Tower Hamlets, East London, you don't really get more common than that. I went to crappy local comprehensives throughout my schooling through to college, yet I still ended up with 3As at A level and a place at UCL.

At the end of the day, it's nothing to do with class, you're just not good enough. If you are looking at top firms, many would have just seen your a level results and university and moved on. Harsh but true.
Reply 32
charli159

Brokenheroes actually has a point. I am honestly sorry to hear your experience with applying for TC's was so negative, however, you shouldn't be attributing your lack of success to class. Law firms are elitist in a way, but only when it comes to academics, such as A levels, degree class and, most often than not, the university you attended. Law is a very popular degree and all top universities has high entry requirements - you got BBB at A level, hence you didn't really have a chance of getting accepted at a 'top' university. In addition, most firms specify a number of UCAS points applicants should have as a basic requirement to be considered and your A level results might have been not good enough, which hence resulted in rejection at an early stage. Furthermore, there may have been something in your applications itself that wasn't what the individual firms were looking for. There are many factors which would have come into consideration when deciding whether to accept or reject you, and class is the least likely one to have made any difference in respect to their decision.

In respect to your point about barristers, it is true that a lot of them come from Cambridge or Oxford, however, there are many who don't. Nevertheless, seeing that you have applied for TC's and not Pupillages, I would think you are not seeking a career as a barrister, which makes this consideration irrelevant to your individual situation.
charli159
My TC applications range from small highstreet firms to MC firms

brokenheroes is being very harsh, BBB is a great set of results. One problem may be in what I have quoted. Small highstreet firms and MC firms are a competely different kettle of fish. They require you to have a different focus, and the applications for both will look completely different. Also remember that a lot of high street firms don't recruit as far in advance as the MC firms, and often recruit people who have completed or are nearing the end of the LPC.

I'm afraid it is a sad fact of life that if you went to a private school you would almost certainly have done better, and would have been more likely to get into a highly rated uni. We still live in a society with massive inequalities stemming from the distribution of land and use of force in ages past - though hopefully this will change. But it is something that you will have to live with - at least be grateful that you were not brought up when your parents and grandparents were alive, when life chances were completely determined by class.

In your position, I would be tempted to forget about TCs for now and do something else. Perhaps gain some experience in another sector and reapply in a year or a few years time if becoming a solicitor is still a goal. You can pick up important commercial experience and demonstrate your employability by doing well at another job; and you could always volunteer somewhere like the CAB. At the end of the day, there are quite a lot of people who don't get TCs - there are not enough TCs to go around everybody who does the LPC; and this is far worse for pupillages. You might have better luck once you have a little more life experience under your belt. I know quite a lot of people who didn't get a TC first time around, worked somewhere else and are now becoming solicitors. Probably the majority of people on my LPC are 24+ (if you go straight from uni it would be 21 for law 22 for non-law), and there are quite a lot of people 27+: they've done other stuff before getting their TC.
jacketpotato
brokenheroes is being very harsh, BBB is a great set of results. One problem may be in what I have quoted. Small highstreet firms and MC firms are a competely different kettle of fish. They require you to have a different focus, and the applications for both will look completely different. Also remember that a lot of high street firms don't recruit as far in advance as the MC firms, and often recruit people who have completed or are nearing the end of the LPC.

I'm afraid it is a sad fact of life that if you went to a private school you would almost certainly have done better, and would have been more likely to get into a highly rated uni. We still live in a society with massive inequalities stemming from the distribution of land and use of force in ages past - though hopefully this will change. But it is something that you will have to live with - at least be grateful that you were not brought up when your parents and grandparents were alive, when life chances were completely determined by class.

In your position, I would be tempted to forget about TCs for now and do something else. Perhaps gain some experience in another sector and reapply in a year or a few years time if becoming a solicitor is still a goal. You can pick up important commercial experience and demonstrate your employability by doing well at another job; and you could always volunteer somewhere like the CAB. At the end of the day, there are quite a lot of people who don't get TCs - there are not enough TCs to go around everybody who does the LPC; and this is far worse for pupillages. You might have better luck once you have a little more life experience under your belt. I know quite a lot of people who didn't get a TC first time around, worked somewhere else and are now becoming solicitors. Probably the majority of people on my LPC are 24+ (if you go straight from uni it would be 21 for law 22 for non-law), and there are quite a lot of people 27+: they've done other stuff before getting their TC.

Can I just say thanks for being a great help..you have really understood my point of view and I am now thinking about deterring the TC for a while, like you said, and get some experience.thank you
brokenheroes
Honestly, don't put this down to class, I'm actually pretty offended.

I was born and raised in Tower Hamlets, East London, you don't really get more common than that. I went to crappy local comprehensives throughout my schooling through to college, yet I still ended up with 3As at A level and a place at UCL.

At the end of the day, it's nothing to do with class, you're just not good enough. If you are looking at top firms, many would have just seen your a level results and university and moved on. Harsh but true.

Well in my opinion BBB are good results. They were the best I could get in my situation and were top results in my year so who are you to tell me im not good enough? I am proud of what I have achieved and worked bloody hard for them. how on earth can 'ordinary' people like me get into the Legal Profession if they are only asking for AAAAAAAAAAAAAA from Top Unis? Like you said they would look at my results&uni then move on. This = elitism
python38
Would I have any chance of securing work experience before uni, or a TC or mini-pupillage, with 3 A-levels (Maths, Further Maths, and Physics, all As) but no GCSEs?

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to gain some work experience...just write to local firms/courts and enquire.

I think you may be a little confused about TC's and mini pupilages. A TC (Training Contract) is for AFTER Uni & completing the LPC and is for people wanting to qualify as a SOLICITOR.

A mini pupilage is for people who wish to become BARRISTERS.It is like a form of work experience during study at Uni. The solicitors equivalent to this is a Vacation Scheme. You may wish to read up on the Legal Profession a little more before applying for work experience!! Hope this helps
Reply 37
JiangYu
I took Law for A-Level and was pretty good at it, which is the primary reason for me taking law. I did enjoy it and it seemed that a career as a lawyer did tempt me in that it had all the challenges, was a great career in itself and had the money in it. Above all, it was a "law degree" which will be impressive to anyone who hears it.

My first year at University was one of the best years I had. It was just how I expected it to be, however I think I was somewhat ill-founded on just how easy it would be to find a job afterwards. Of course, at 18, no one tells you about training contracts and even if you've read about it, it doesn't carry the same conviction on just how hard it's going to be (and that was before the whole recession thing...). I honestly knew that getting a Law Degree would be difficult but that didn't stop me because I had the motivation.
My second year at University was a bit of a turning point. Despite putting in so much effort, I didn't quite get the grades I was hoping for although I did manage to pass every module, just barely! I knew I had to somehow try harder in my final year which ultimately led me to sacrifice not looking for a work placement. I'm quite glad though because my final year ended up being quite smooth and I ended up with a good comfortable 2:1. Now, I can't really start on a Training Contract until 2012 and it's not like I have one anyway...

The only thing I regret is not really knowing how difficult it would be to enter into the profession. My A-Level teacher's advice didn't carry enough conviction and neither did the things I had read (you usually need someone to tell you properly how hard it's going to be and at age 17/18 it's difficult to find a real contact). Even at University, most people didn't realise just how difficult it would be, not at least until half way through the second year.

The Alevel interested me too, but I've heard a law degree is nothing like the A level course. Is this true?
Reply 38
chigz32
The Alevel interested me too, but I've heard a law degree is nothing like the A level course. Is this true?

You only take two modules in relation to your actual A-Level topics. If I'm not mistake, at A-Level, you have the choice of doing either Contract or Criminal Law after studying the English Legal System for AS.
I did Criminal Law for A-Level and to be honest, it wasn't all that different from my Criminal Law module during my second year, albeit a little more expanded with more cases to learn (especially seeing as a number of legalties have been updated and changed etc...). You will also study The English Legal System during your first year at University but that differs from what you study at AS level. Of course, sound understanding of the English Legal System is required (court procedures etc) but you're not required to learn about the professions in general - this was a main core area of the AS level in Law, which I did and I'm pretty sure it still is. Instead, the module is vastly about civil recommendations, criticisms and the impact of European Community Law- the bulk of it required a thorough reading of the Civil Procedure Rules and the reports written criticising it. This was touched upon at AS level but not in detail.

As far as all the other modules are concerned, I can't really say much considering that you only study two main modules. I'm sure you'll find that the Law Degree is very similar to an A-Level Law, had the A-Level been much broader in what it offered. You probably won't have to read as many cases or articles/journals but I think the general gist of it is the same. The only major difference, in my opinion, is the inclusion of Community Law (EU Law), which you'll be studying all the way throughout any modules. EU Law is something which wasn't as emphasized in the past as it is now. I know, during A-Level, we didn't really do anything related to it.
Don't forget, you have a lot of elective practical subjects which you would never have experienced before so I guess some parts of the Law Degree is different. For example, advocacy/mooting concentrates on legal argument during court and advice & negotiation concentrates on oral disputes and negotiation whilst giving advice to clients (examined by video recording).

Hope this helps.
Reply 39
JiangYu
You only take two modules in relation to your actual A-Level topics. If I'm not mistake, at A-Level, you have the choice of doing either Contract or Criminal Law after studying the English Legal System for AS.
I did Criminal Law for A-Level and to be honest, it wasn't all that different from my Criminal Law module during my second year, albeit a little more expanded with more cases to learn (especially seeing as a number of legalties have been updated and changed etc...). You will also study The English Legal System during your first year at University but that differs from what you study at AS level. Of course, sound understanding of the English Legal System is required (court procedures etc) but you're not required to learn about the professions in general - this was a main core area of the AS level in Law, which I did and I'm pretty sure it still is. Instead, the module is vastly about civil recommendations and criticisms - the bulk of it required a thorough reading of the Civil Procedure Rules and the reports written criticising it. This was touched upon at AS level but not in detail.

Hope this helps.

Ah, we did both criminal and civil law, things like non-fatals, theft, and then things like studying the court system etc.

Thanks for the input :biggrin: I was hoping the degree won't be too different from A level Law, cuz I loved it!

Latest

Trending

Trending