university of manchester vs university of birmingham for economics

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Maziwa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hey i just wanted to know which uni out of bham uni or manchester uni for economics.

which uni is more prestigious and what about the employement prospects and night life.

bham is very high for economics in te league tables but some say manchester is better so im confused.

please i need some advice as i need to make my decision tommrow

your replies will be very much appreciated.
Bax-man
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Have you visited either?
smalltownboy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Manchester>Birmingham. Seriously.
super_dry
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
manchester has a higher female:male ratio so make your mind up
Maziwa
Rep:
?
anymore advice
MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol you create this thread daily, overall i would say manchester has better reputation and for econ if you are doing the bsc at manchester then there is nothing between it and birmingham and i hear both nightlife is good but manchester is better. Employment wise i cant really see an employer picking someone with the a bsc econ degree from birmingham over one from manchester just due to the uni name as they are both similar reputation...
Toxic Tears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by smalltownboy)
Manchester>Birmingham. Seriously.
And you're not biased at all...
smalltownboy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been out in both. Manchester wins in that respect.
Joy Division
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
lol you create this thread daily
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sear...rchid=13649093 lol I count 9 threads. :doh:

overall i would say manchester has better reputation and for econ if you are doing the bsc at manchester then there is nothing between it and birmingham and i hear both nightlife is good but manchester is better. Employment wise i cant really see an employer picking someone with the a bsc econ degree from birmingham over one from manchester just due to the uni name as they are both similar reputation...
I agree, the difference is not so big that it would really matter. Choose the location you prefer, op.
Waheyyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd choose Birmingham.
Maziwa
Rep:
?
i mean is there are large difference in the reputation as birmimgham is higher in the league tables overall and for econ as well than manchester so im confused.

is the night life quality is birmingham or is it ****.
please advise
SunOfABeach
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Birm.
Viz9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am a prospectuve undergraduate currently taking a gap year, having completed my A-levels. After moderate GCSE grades I finished on A*AB in Economics, Mathematics and Physics respectively. I have offers from both Manchester BEconSc and Birmingham BSC for economics. I would like some advice on which to chose. I have visited both universities so campus and city wise I have no preference. I wish to continue to Msc study at a top university so I would like to know which you feel would better prepare me and give me better job prospects. Thank you in advance.
aryanrulezz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
BSc computer Science
Uni. of manchester or Birmingham?
katya11en
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, both are good universities (Russell group).

Analysis:

Birmingham is better on the overall league tables. In 2015 and 2016 Birmingham has been announced as having number one graduate employment out of all universities in the UK. This high employment is due to the universities huge investment in its careers service and highlights how highly employers view degree's from the university.

Birmingham university itself is set on a beautiful grand redbrick leafy campus which is hard not to fall in love with. Manchester on the other hand is a city campus so is less green and more spread out with a slightly less studenty feel, although still fairly beautiful. Birmingham Uni does have the added bonus of having its own train station on campus giving easy access to the city center!

Not only is Birmingham more academic than Manchester usually coming out higher on the league tables, but it also has a strong sports reputation appearing in the top 5 on the university sports leagues tables. From what I hear music and drama are also good at Birmingham!

Birmingham University is generally harder to get into than Manchester and wants higher grades than Manchester, eg B'ham medicine A* A A vs Man AAA. If Birmingham does really like you though and you are predicted A* AA or above and have a strong number of A*'s at GCSE's then there is a chance you may be offered an unconditional!

Birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK and so has a lot more going on than Manchester though both are good.

Birmingham>Manchester
P357
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by katya11en)
Hi, both are good universities (Russell group). Birmingham is better on the overall league tables and better on history specific league tables and has a more prestigious reputation. In 2014 the University of Birmingham history department was number one in the country for research. In 2015 and 2016 Birmingham has been announced as having number one graduate employment out of all universities in the UK. This high employment is due to the universities huge investment in its careers service and highlights how highly employers view degree's from the university. Birmingham university itself is set on a beautiful grand Redbrick leafy campus which is hard not to fall in love with. Manchester on the other hand is a city campus so is less green and more spread out with a slightly less studenty feel, although still fairly beautiful. Not only is Birmingham more academic than Manchester usually coming out higher on the league tables, but it also has a strong sports reputation appearing in the top 5 on the university sports leagues tables. From what I hear music and drama are also good at Birmingham!Birmingham University is harder to get into than Manchester although their history requirements are actually the same AAA. Overall Birmingham for the majority of subjects wants higher grades than Manchester, eg B'ham medicine A* A A vs Man AAA.If Birmingham does really like you though and you are predicted A* AA or above and have a strong number of A*'s at GCSE's then there is a chance you may be offered an unconditional!Birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK and so has a lot more going on than Manchester though both are good. Birmingham>Manchester
you sound like you work for them.
katya11en
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by P357)
you sound like you work for them.
Nah just a fan but fair enough
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This thread should be closed. The original topic was created about six years ago and there's not been any discussion since. If you want to start up the conversation again, then create a new thread.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.45%
England (105)
33.87%
Belgium (26)
8.39%
Germany (37)
11.94%
Spain (5)
1.61%