The Student Room Group

4 choices Medicine.. 5th Pharmacy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Medicine Man
I applied for biochemistry and management (with a year in industry) at Imperial with a completely medicine orientated personal statement last admissions cycle and still got an offer.

Admission tutors know that so many people put these courses as their back-ups but still give offers anyway.

Having said that, my mate from secondary school applied for pharmacy at Kings last year as his 5th choice and got rejected so it obviously isn't set in stone that you're guaranteed to get in.

Aye I'm worried I won't get offers from my 5th choice eitherrr :frown: Talk about awful confidence, I blame it on not getting through this year :P
Eden01
Aye I'm worried I won't get offers from my 5th choice eitherrr :frown: Talk about awful confidence, I blame it on not getting through this year :P

Just focus on doing well in the UKCAT and BMAT and generally on getting an offer for medicine and you won't have to worry about not getting a 5th choice offer.

And as you've been through the cycle once already, you'll know what to expect.
Original post by Eden01
Hi guys,

Basically I'll be applying for the 2nd time this Sept for entry into Medicine (5 years). I'm worried I still won't be getting in, so I'd like to put my 5th choice as Pharmacy.

I was thinking perhaps KCL or London School of Pharmacy? But when they'll read my PS and realise that I would like to apply for medicine, will they reject me straightaway? :/

How about you send an alternative personal statement directly to your pharmacy uni? Some accept these and you could explain then without changing your medicine one? Your medschools will never know...... :smile:
Reply 23
I'm also keen on this

From what I've heard LSOP which is a good pharmacy uni consider med applicants, so I want to apply there but Im hoping someone could confirm it as i cant afford to waste my 5th choice. Im also not sure what the interviews would be like since they know you want to do medicine
Reply 24
Original post by bertstare
I'm also keen on this

From what I've heard LSOP which is a good pharmacy uni consider med applicants, so I want to apply there but Im hoping someone could confirm it as i cant afford to waste my 5th choice. Im also not sure what the interviews would be like since they know you want to do medicine

I am in the same situation at the moment.I have read on another thread that LSOP ask for a separate PS ( only if they consider a medical applicant,which is kinda hard to believe).I want someone to confirm it though before I take any decision.
If one were to add Pharmacy as their 5th choice, would the other 4 universities be able to see that choice? I apologise in advance if that's a very dumb question!
Reply 26
Original post by Christiandransfiel
If one were to add Pharmacy as their 5th choice, would the other 4 universities be able to see that choice? I apologise in advance if that's a very dumb question!

That used to be the case a few years back I believe. they have stopped that now though. The universities will not be able to see the other universities and or courses you have applied to.
Reply 27
Does anyone know if someone got an offer from Huddersfield with a medicine PS ?What do you all think of Huddersfield pharmacy school anyway?
Reply 28
I applied to kingston as a backup too lol :P, ill the need their social life to drown my sorrows of not getting into med..
Reply 29
Original post by cute_wish
Does anyone know if someone got an offer from Huddersfield with a medicine PS ?What do you all think of Huddersfield pharmacy school anyway?

Huddersfield- Just no. lol.

My friend went there, ended up dropping out just because it's just not a nice place.

PS- they will accept Medical applicants :smile:
Reply 30
don't do pharmacy as back up.. you won't enjoy it, not as relevant as you would think. gap year would be better.
I knew a girl in the year above me who applied for Medicine and put the London School of Pharmacy as her 5th choice and was given an offer.
Original post by Ally312
I knew a girl in the year above me who applied for Medicine and put the London School of Pharmacy as her 5th choice and was given an offer.

Pharmacy is quite a sensible choice in my experience :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Pharmacy is quite a sensible choice in my experience :smile:

It is :smile: though I've already decided if I don't get in this year (which is likely), I will just take a gap year and reapply.

I like your username by the way. :biggrin:
Original post by Ally312
It is :smile: though I've already decided if I don't get in this year (which is likely), I will just take a gap year and reapply.

I like your username by the way. :biggrin:

Excellent, very wise decision :smile: Who doesn't? :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by Doctor.
That used to be the case a few years back I believe. they have stopped that now though. The universities will not be able to see the other universities and or courses you have applied to.

Dear Doctor, sadly you are wrong, if you apply for 2 courses in the same university they will be able to see
Reply 36
Original post by Doctor.
Huddersfield- Just no. lol.

My friend went there, ended up dropping out just because it's just not a nice place.

PS- they will accept Medical applicants :smile:

Dear Doctor, i have checked and they do not accept medical applicants, also why is Huddersfield that bad given they are the best for pharmacy in the Guardian table?
Original post by Admission
Dear Doctor, sadly you are wrong, if you apply for 2 courses in the same university they will be able to see

Indeed. But I still fail to see how this will really influence a medicine application. After all everyone has a fifth choice and using it to apply to the same uni shouldn't have any bearing on an applicant's commitment to medicine.
Reply 38
True but it may have a bearing on the application to pharmacy. Students who fail to get into medicine should not go for pharmacy unless they are genuinely interested. They will only be frustrated and that is not good for them or the profession.
Reply 39
Original post by Admission
True but it may have a bearing on the application to pharmacy. Students who fail to get into medicine should not go for pharmacy unless they are genuinely interested. They will only be frustrated and that is not good for them or the profession.

True but regardless, it should not affect the application. Why would it?

I would find Pharmacy an interesting course. Not as much as I would love to read Medicine...but yeah interesting :tongue:. If I had to go the GEM I would defiantly consider doing 4 year Pharmacy.

Although I agree on the 'if you're not interested', don't do it though :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending