Turn on thread page Beta

AS maths ok for me? watch

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE im doing intermediate tier, and apparently AS level maths is only slightly more complex than module 10...but because im not doing higher tier i dont do module10...they advise that only higher tier GCSE candidates will do well at AS maths. What do you think, will i do ok?

ReputationRep:
    A Level Maths is much harder than 99% of what you meet at GCSE, and it requires a lot mroe dedication. A good way to see how you find it would be to buy a C1 textbook and just spend an hour seeing how you cope with a subject such as diferentiation.
    I cant talk specifically about the module system, because I did linear GCSE, but nobody on here can give you a definate answer, the best way is to just have a go, and see for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    For GCSE im doing intermediate tier, and apparently AS level maths is only slightly more complex than module 10...but because im not doing higher tier i dont do module10...they advise that only higher tier GCSE candidates will do well at AS maths. What do you think, will i do ok?
    Although its certainly helpful to be doing the higher tier, it is not impossible. The way i see it, is if you have an interest in the sujcet, you should go for it, despite what others might say.

Course content is basically the higher tier concepts extended slightly, and introduces some complex ideas.... so long as you could learn quickly, and spend a majority of time revising, then i dont see any reason why you cant.

ReputationRep:
    If you're a hard working individual determined to succeed in whatever you attempt then go for it. If you don't want to work hard then don't bother.

Edit: I wouldn't bother going through GCSE higher topics, just get start on the AS over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that if i get through the first couple of topics fine, then really start to panic and lose understanding in the subject then i'll do bad. I like maths, it interests me a great deal, plus it looks great on the CV. but yeah i'll buy an AS maths book in summer and go through it...

ReputationRep:
    As long as you get a B on the Intermediate tier, enjoy the subject and are prepared to work hard, go for it! I'd recommend working through the higher tier topics over the summer though, then you'll be at the same level as everyone else when you start AS.

ReputationRep:
    i did edexcel higher for maths gcse (edexcel), i then went and did as maths and i found it very very hard. i would advise you dont do it, because the as is harder and although i was really determined i just found it very hard and struggled all the way through. in the end it wasnt even worth it because i spent so much time tryin to understand it that it was stoppin me revising in other subjects. :boring: but then again i never really understood it from basic principle. i have a p1 text book if u want it from me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asian cutie)
    i did edexcel higher for maths gcse (edexcel), i then went and did as maths and i found it very very hard. i would advise you dont do it, because the as is harder and although i was really determined i just found it very hard and struggled all the way through. in the end it wasnt even worth it because i spent so much time tryin to understand it that it was stoppin me revising in other subjects. :boring:
    yet surely, so long as one can master the basics, they are capable of at least a pass. I mean it's crazy to think that with so much effort from a bright individual, they come out with a fail! :eek:

If one struggles on, one remains stronger than the one who quits at the start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    yet surely, so long as one can master the basics, they are capable of at least a pass. I mean it's crazy to think that with so much effort from a bright individual, they come out with a fail! :eek:

If one struggles on, one remains stronger than the one who quits at the start.
    true, and i did pass, but i feel that if i did something i found easier it would have worked better for me e.g. university, cashing in grades etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I did intermediate tier and got the highest mark you could get, a B. And honestly? I don't think that I could have managed to do well at AS-level maths.

I have friends who got A* in maths, and an A* in stats at GCSE who are now finding AS-level maths challenging, where before they swanned through. So, unless you have a deep, large desire to do AS-level maths, my advice would be to really think about it seriously. You're unlikely to enjoy a subject that you find far too challenging (a bit of a challenge can be a good thing) and when getting good grades at AS-level, enjoying it is a large part of it.

ReputationRep:
    Maths was probably the hardest transition from GCSE to AS for me... it's not impossible at all but you'll need to do work at it outside of lessons to make sure you've grasped things properly...not leave it all up to the revision time before the first module like I did because then it gets stressful!

It is however, considerably more complex than module 10 in my opinion... as someone above said... grab a C1 textbook and have a look through - some stuff is a logical progression of GCSE like surds and indices but some stuff is entirely new so don't be too daunted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asian cutie)
    i did edexcel higher for maths gcse (edexcel), i then went and did as maths and i found it very very hard. i would advise you dont do it, because the as is harder and although i was really determined i just found it very hard and struggled all the way through. in the end it wasnt even worth it because i spent so much time tryin to understand it that it was stoppin me revising in other subjects. :boring: but then again i never really understood it from basic principle. i have a p1 text book if u want it from me
    hey thats real nice, maybe when i decide to take it . Im up for a challenge.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is hard and challenging yet very rewarding and many times more harder then GCSE. Its a very big push from GCSE to AS level.

But you may succeed if you put the time and effort into the subject.

Do you feel that you can continue to do maths for 1 or 2 more years?
    Do you like being in challenging situations?
    Do you like playing with numbers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goku999)
    Maths is hard and challenging yet very rewarding and many times more harder then GCSE. Its a very big push from GCSE to AS level.

But you may succeed if you put the time and effort into the subject.

Do you feel that you can continue to do maths for 1 or 2 more years?
    Do you like being in challenging situations?
    Do you like playing with numbers?
    Yeah, i guess i could have a tutor. Then maybe i'd do better..

ReputationRep:
    A word of warning - AS maths is a big, big step-up from GCSE. Out of my subjects (Chemistry, Biology, Maths, French) I've found it without doubt the hardest and the one that has needed the most work.

At GCSE I got an A* with minimal effort - I found it very easy and actually thought I was good at Maths. AS, however has been a different matter. It was a big step-up, and extremely hard.

Unless you are very good at maths or prepared to put a lot of work in I would personally advise against it, as otherwise you are unlikely to get a good grade. I wish someone had told me in yr 11 how hard maths was going to be.

ReputationRep:
    I find AS/A2 Maths much more interesting than GCSE. I got a B in GCSE Maths and AA in two Maths exams last January and am confident I will get AAAA in the four exams I have in the next month.

The Maths is obviously harder but it's much more interesting, if you actually enjoy it, you'll do great

ReputationRep:
    I got an A at Higher-Tier GCSE and a D at AS - you do the math .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angietash)
    A word of warning - AS maths is a big, big step-up from GCSE. Out of my subjects (Chemistry, Biology, Maths, French) I've found it without doubt the hardest and the one that has needed the most work.

At GCSE I got an A* with minimal effort - I found it very easy and actually thought I was good at Maths. AS, however has been a different matter. It was a big step-up, and extremely hard.

Unless you are very good at maths or prepared to put a lot of work in I would personally advise against it, as otherwise you are unlikely to get a good grade. I wish someone had told me in yr 11 how hard maths was going to be.
    Yeah, maths seems hard at AS. I'm doing maths and stats GCSE so I'm hoping that will ease the 'jump' slightly. I'm doing it because I need it for uni, but I agree that AS does look more interesting than GCSE - mechanics looks pretty good.

By the way, Angietash, how do you find all those subjects (mainly the workload) as I am planning on doing them next year. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If you like Maths, then I'd say go for it. The step up from GCSE to AS level isn't too high (using the "core" system, not the "pure" one), and I have to say I found C1 (edexcel) to be easier than GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to taste some of the subject matter try this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/asguru/maths/

I'd suggest you look at the "Differentiation" chapter.

BTW - you don't need to know any of the fancy proofs from first principles. I don't think so, anyway...

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.