Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Like most other GCSE students, I took my first two final written GCSE exam papers before half term. I took English Literature on May 25th and Religiuos Studies Paper 1A on 27th May. We have another RE paper 2A on June 14th, but in my Literature Ionly managed to answer the ''Of Mice and Men'' question in the time allowed - I wrote about 9 pages, some of which was in bullet points when I realised I was running seriously short of time and still had my poetry essay to start and complete. Mice and Men is worth 27 marks, Poetry is worth 36 marks and you get a max 3 marks for Quality of written communication, but I won't get all of these because I used bullet points to try to finish quickly. Last year, the boundaries were as follows:
    A8 54/66
    A 47/66
    B 40/66
    C 33/66
    D 26/66
    I'm not sure what my combined coursework mark was, but this is only worth 20%. I'm wanting to do AS English combined next year, so am very worried about this.

For my RE, I got 83/83 on my written coursework (unmoderated) which accounts for 20% of the final mark. I got significantly less than half way so the maximum mark I can get is 30/80 and that's ansuming I got everything right, which is unlikely (although my teacher might disagree with me). You get a further 3 marks for QWC - spelling and grammar, but I won't have got all of these because I did not have time to reach the questions on extended writing.
    Last year, the boundaries were:
    A* 63/83
    A 56/83
    B 49/83
    C 42/83
    D 35/83
    E 29/83
    F 23/83
    G 19/83

We've got another paper on June 14th, so I'm hoping to finish this paper and hopefully get nearly full marks on this. If I did this, do you think I would have a chance of achieving a 'B' or a 'C'? I'm wanting to do AS Level RS next year so this is very important, but this is a long way away from the grade A and A* I was hoping for because of my timing techniques.

However, I do appreciate more than anything the need to move on to the next paper whatever happens - which is Biology on Monday Afternoon. However, this is not the type of paper I found difficult and then hope everything will be alright because it probably won't as i ran seriously out of time. I need at least a 'C' to do therse subjects next year, especially English because there is a lot of people who are interested in it.

Do I have reason to be concerned, although obviously nothing can be done now.

ReputationRep:
    no, dont be so obsessed with it. GCSEs are not the end of the world. You still have got A levels, which are much more important.Dont worry you will do well.
    I am happy with english lit grade boundaries. They seem to be quite low. i thought it was required 90% to get A*, whereas according to you it is 81% considering 54/66 is an A*

ReputationRep:
    Why write so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    no, dont be so obsessed with it. GCSEs are not the end of the world. You still have got A levels, which are much more important.Dont worry you will do well.
    I am happy with english lit grade boundaries. They seem to be quite low. i thought it was required 90% to get A*, whereas according to you it is 81% considering 54/66 is an A*
    When I did my GCSEs last year, English and English lit (OCR) were both 90% UMS marks to get an A*, but UMS marks are scaled up, so 81% raw marks sounds about right.

And to the original poster; as you said yourself, what's done is done, and there's nothing you can do to change it. Focus on the exams you have left. With English lit, you may have only finished one essay, but at least you wrote bullet points on what you would have covered if you hadn't run out of time, so you should still get some marks for it. After doing the first paper, even though I did finish it, I still thought I'd written a load of rubbish, but ended up with full marks, so you've probably done better than you think. And with RS, you still have one paper and your coursework to make up for the first paper. If you get full marks on the paper, add that to the full marks you already have for coursework and you'll have 60%, assuming the 2 papers are worth 40% each. Even if you only got half marks on the first paper, that's still 80% altogether, which should get you an A/A*. Oh, and sixth forms tend to be pretty lenient, especially when it's your own school; there are people in my AS English lit class who got a D at GCSE!

ReputationRep:
    do you have to get a certain grade to be allowed to do english at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    Our teachers told us previously how much time we should spend on each section of the paper, like for Eng Lit (I do AQA), they said to wrap up To Kill A Mockingbird after 45 mins and move onto the poetry. This seems to work pretty well in multi-sectioned exams. For the first Eng Lang paper we were told Media should take 1hr 15mins, and then for Argue, Persuade, Advise-30mins. For Eng Lang 2, its 1hr for the poems and 30mins for Inform, explain, describe. I find if I stick to it, I always finish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinderella1288)
    do you have to get a certain grade to be allowed to do english at A-level?
    At my school, only English lit is offered and they say you need CC in both lang and lit, but they let people in with CD, so they're not very strict on it. It depends on the school/college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    At my school, only English lit is offered and they say you need CC in both lang and lit, but they let people in with CD, so they're not very strict on it. It depends on the school/college.
    :eek: At my school you need a B at GCSE in whatever you want to do for AS, with the exception of an A (preferred A*) for further maths.

And I wouldn't worry about your exams now. But, practice your timing for other exams. There is no point spending so long on 1 question when there are only so many marks to get - once you've got them, you can't get any more!

ReputationRep:
    Here you need Bs in English for A Level. Try not to worry now, there is nothing that you could do now, so focus on the exams coming up.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, but seriously time manangement is your weak point when you go in there, you need to know times, it even says on the paper, ...'we recommend you spend (da-da-da) on Section A etc..'

so make sure your careful with ya bio, dont be spending too long on one question, because youve got 2h15, but also dont just think, if i just spend a bit longer because ive got 2h15, dont do that, move on, because at least if you attempt every question and youve still got time left, which you should have, even with bad time management, you can go back and look at questions you stumbled on in more detail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final_F)
    :eek: At my school you need a B at GCSE in whatever you want to do for AS, with the exception of an A (preferred A*) for further maths.
    At mine, it's Cs for everything except maths, the sciences and French, which you need Bs for.

ReputationRep:
    Usually my time management is pretty good but in some exams - English Lang and History it is going to be really close to me finishing and the exam finishing.

ReputationRep:
    yeh my teacher said in eng lang becuase you have a 54mark section with about 5q first, and an hour time, use the amount of marks as a time for that q, e.g 3marks 3minutes, that way you should fin with about 5min to check as the end.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am on WJEC, you basically have to answer section A in 40 minutes, which is 4 questions which is nearly improssible, then you have to spend an hour on section B I think...ergh.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.