The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Halogens don't dissolve too well in water b/c they're not polar. You do get bromine water which is brownish depending on concn. Not sure about I2, maybe black or grey (?). Cl2 surely won't dissolve well, it would just bubble through I think.

They dissolve well in organic solvent, but not sure of the colour. If you dissolve in an alkene (or any unsaturated organic molecule) it will be colourless.

The colours of the ion ppt's are:
Cl-: White
Br-: Pale cream
I-: Yellow

You should hopefully describe the ppt's in terms of solubility in ammonia solution too. Do you already know this?
Reply 2
snmichaels
Halogens don't dissolve too well in water b/c they're not polar. You do get bromine water which is brownish depending on concn. Not sure about I2, maybe black or grey (?). Cl2 surely won't dissolve well, it would just bubble through I think.

They dissolve well in organic solvent, but not sure of the colour. If you dissolve in an alkene (or any unsaturated organic molecule) it will be colourless.

The colours of the ion ppt's are:
Cl-: White
Br-: Pale cream
I-: Yellow

You should hopefully describe the ppt's in terms of solubility in ammonia solution too. Do you already know this?

Yeh I know this, and I know that iodine is purple in hydrocarbon solvent but i dont know the other colours
Reply 3
dunno
Reply 4
In water:
chlorine is colourless
bromine is orange
iodine is brown

In hexane:
water is colourless
bromine is red
iodine is violet
Reply 5
In hexane:
water chlorine is colourless
bromine is red
iodine is violet
Reply 6
thanks though, I didn't know those :smile:
Reply 7
snmichaels
thanks though, I didn't know those :smile:

sorry i meant chlorine
Loopz
In water:
chlorine is colourless
bromine is orange
iodine is brown

In hexane:
water is colourless
bromine is red
iodine is violet

chlorine is pale green in water NOT colourless - this is stated having collected chlorine in water, the colour can clearly be appreciated if the solution is concentrated enough and held against a white background.
Reply 9
charco
chlorine is pale green in water NOT colourless - this is stated having collected chlorine in water, the colour can clearly be appreciated if the solution is concentrated enough and held against a white background.

yeah cgp says its colourless and letts says its pale green. There will be no colour change so writing colourless is pretty much correct (as chlorine is a pale green gas). And as you said, in low concentration it appears colourless.
Reply 10
Yes Cl2 is pale green due to Cl2 +H2O<--> HClO + HCl
The halogens may have a low solubility in water, due to covalent bonding.
but hydrogen halides are very souble in water
Dissolving to make strong acids
They are acidic gases to begin with

There my input, lol

Latest