The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
sorry for the double post...I'm facing a dilemma.

I've been offered an interview at Glasgow on the 11th of January and although I can get up there (I live in the midlands) I have nowhere to stay! I have to go on my own and the prospect is daunting...I know that when you go to uni you're on your own but it's different to this!

There is a youth hostel but I dunno about staying in that on my own...my parents are suggesting I withdraw my application from there but I don't know as I have already had 2 rejections...

Oxford Brookes want to interview me on the 18th which is absolutely no problem at all (I'm all prepared for that one, and my portfolio will be MUCH better since I had no descriptions for Manchester and Liverpool). I'm wondering, what do you guys suggest I should do? (Glasgow is my bottom choice so I dunno if it's worth the hassle of getting all the way up there...but at the same time I want to broaden my choices).
yea they've both offered me ABB but i don't kno which department is better cos i haven't been to any of them. u have any idea? i sent mine off to them around the 25th/26th november? (i remember cos thats when i had 2 art projects due in too and i was STRESSO beyond belief!) and i emailed my portfolio to lpool at the same time. heard from lpool the day afterwards which was coolies, and from manc a week later ish? don't worry about it, they'll come!!!!! can't say much about glasgow cos i dint apply there. and as for oxford brookes hahahaha yea i got their letter yesterday actually! whats with the 'visualisation exercise'?! i've decided to withdraw my application cos i wont even bother goin there anyho. not worth it for 15 pieces, i have better things to do durin my xmas hols! lemme know how it goes mate :smile:

--------------

Absinthe

I've been offered an interview at Glasgow on the 11th of January and although I can get up there (I live in the midlands) I have nowhere to stay! I have to go on my own and the prospect is daunting...I know that when you go to uni you're on your own but it's different to this!

There is a youth hostel but I dunno about staying in that on my own...my parents are suggesting I withdraw my application from there but I don't know as I have already had 2 rejections...

Oxford Brookes want to interview me on the 18th which is absolutely no problem at all (I'm all prepared for that one, and my portfolio will be MUCH better since I had no descriptions for Manchester and Liverpool). I'm wondering, what do you guys suggest I should do? (Glasgow is my bottom choice so I dunno if it's worth the hassle of getting all the way up there...but at the same time I want to broaden my choices).

sorry dint realise u had posted another one! where have u been rejected from? i say go glasgow even if its ur #6 cos if worst comes to worst, you might hafta rely on it n its better to be prepared than to have had the opportunity and thrown it away. might be stupid question (my geog aint that good :p: ) whats rong with goin to glasgow and comin back the same night?! and my oxford brookes interview is 18th too!
Reply 382
ahh cool, I sent my portfolio off to Liverpool on the 11th by e-mail, and haven't heard anything from them since then.

I can't remember when I sent off my Manchester portfolio exactly but I think it was about the same time as you did, in fact maybe a week or so before?

IMHO I prefer Manchester, when I visited there they were very helpful. The funny thing about most schools of architecture that I've visited is that they're in really old, crappy buildings - Manchester's is younger and better looking than Liverpool's. Plus I have to say I prefer the city...I always look at the city moreso than the university because that's where you'll be living if you get in. :smile:

It takes me five hours to get from Newark up to Glasgow on the train, and since my interview is at 10am I think I may be pushing it (especially if I want to be alert, haha) to get there and back in one day!

Since you're off to Oxford Brookes you'll probably see me..can't miss me really as I have short purple/red hair... :smile:
Absinthe
Plus I have to say I prefer the city...I always look at the city moreso than the university because that's where you'll be living if you get in. :smile:

trust me, with architecture, you won't be getting to see much of the city you're living in.
Reply 384
Hi everyone. I've made the following applications and need some advice.

UCL - Havent heard yet
Liverpool - Unconditional
Newcastle - Unconditional
Edinburgh - Unconditional
Westminster - Conditional

I hope to stay in London, but if I can't, where would you go? I didn't like the looks of Liverpool too much. Edinburgh was lovely, but I haven't heard of many going there for Architecture. If you are going to Edinburgh please make yourself KNOWN :biggrin:. Newcastle seemed nice, but I didn't feel I could live there, though I only spent about 4 hours there. The course seems fantastic, and many people seem to be going there. It feels like a more popular choice than Edinburgh.

I just feel lost. Any advice at all would be useful.

Also, any UCL applicants - sharing your experiences would help me a great deal. Thanks!!:biggrin:

--------------

jrhartley
trust me, with architecture, you won't be getting to see much of the city you're living in.

That's quite sad, but probably true.
Reply 385
ive got an offer from edinburgh, i want to put it as my first choice but i wanna visit again for one of the open days. However, i live in newcastle and its a great place, try spending more time here!
Newcastle is closer to home for you, but i think edinburgh is a better known uni...visit both again to make your mind up!

hope it helps
Reply 386
Absinthe

Are we talking Glasgow School of art? cuz if we are, im sure when they send you the letter they send adresses and phone numbers of nearby hotels to stay the night, if you havnt got that let me know n ill find my letter and send you some of the numbers etc....i've been for my interview at GSA and came back to newcastle on the same day. I really loved it the city is great, i think im gonna put it as my 2nd choice :biggrin: .

where else have you applied and have you visited glasgow before? anyways best of luck!
Feras
Also, any UCL applicants - sharing your experiences would help me a great deal. Thanks!!:biggrin:

I'm also applying for ucl but havent heard anything from them ...

dont they interview everyone?
Reply 388
larchitecturel
I'm also applying for ucl but havent heard anything from them ...

dont they interview everyone?

dont think so, when i was there they told me 1500 ppl applied, and they interview 400, and 90 get offers...

Havnt heard anything since my interview, its been almost a month. The letter said within 3 weeks, but the guy said 6-8 weeks...
Reply 389
Can you please tell us a little about how your interview went? Any tips and advice, and anything we should KNOW before going. Do they really expect us to be very knowledgable about post 1900 architecture at the interview?
Reply 390
jrhartley

Depends how big the city is.. :wink:

We're organised here in Portsmouth. The whole School of Architecture organises a date and we all go out and terrorise the whole city. Even the sailors stay on their boats.. :wink:
mrcheese
dont think so, when i was there they told me 1500 ppl applied, and they interview 400, and 90 get offers...

Sorry maybe i didnt express it correctly... i mean do they interview everyone who the are interested in accepting? ie have the entry requirements.
Reply 392
larchitecturel
Sorry maybe i didnt express it correctly... i mean do they interview everyone who the are interested in accepting? ie have the entry requirements.

Probably, since they are so heavily oversubscribed they will only bother with students who meet the basic requirements. If you don't have the grades, then maybe your personal statement will impress them. I feel the course at UCL is more geared towards creativity than academic performance.

Having said that, I am doing an art foundation course and my tutor who is an architect herself said that UCL will only interview candidates who have the entry requirements.

The application deadline hasn't even passed yet, and it would be unreasonable for them to fill the course up already, so I am sure they will be inviting more students for interviews shortly after the holidays. I will admit though that I am as panicked as hell. Good luck everyone!
Reply 393
Feras
Can you please tell us a little about how your interview went? Any tips and advice, and anything we should KNOW before going. Do they really expect us to be very knowledgable about post 1900 architecture at the interview?

From my personal experience i'd have to say a big fat no... We didnt talk about architecture once in my interview! Though i think that might have just been my interview, so clue up sufficiently...

It seemed to focus mainly on your portfollio, so be prepared to talk about that
What did they think of your portfolio... did they seem impressed ?
Reply 395
larchitecturel

I couldn't really tell... i think he liked some bits and not others, though he said it was too small. I didn't have a proper sketch book on me either which screwed things up :frown: ...

lol, so overall no i guess! :biggrin:
Reply 396
amar183
.i've been for my interview at GSA and came back to newcastle on the same day

Ahh but Newcastle is up north and much closer comparitively to Glasgow. It's difficult for me, with train times and all, to get there and back in one day.

Glasgow did also send me a list of hotels, and I am considering staying in the youth hostel (though I don't fancy it much, it's only one night). My main problem is that hardly anywhere accepts Solo, otherwise I'd stay in a TravelInn or something no problem...One of the hotels I COULD have stayed at had no rooms left that night!

I have to go up there on my own, which is...daunting...as the last time I was in the city was when I was five, so I...remember absolutely nothing about it. I'm hoping you can bring a guest, so I can take a friend to make it easier...

Anyone else attended interviews and suchnots completely by themselves? I'm curious.
Reply 397
yep, you can bring a guest....but the kinda kick them out when you are getting a tour and interviews etc. ...its really good, honstly i'd only been to glasgow once before that and didnt know a thing about the city, but really enjoyed it, and they school of art people make your life easier....by the way you get a sheet to fill in which they ask you stuff from in the interview, so be prepared to write a little.

best of luck, n hope you sort sumthing out soon

--------------

larchitecturel

i could see my interviewer laughing at my portfolio :shot: ....(it was a bit crap to be perfectly honest)...
Reply 398
mrcheese
I couldn't really tell... i think he liked some bits and not others, though he said it was too small. I didn't have a proper sketch book on me either which screwed things up :frown: ...

lol, so overall no i guess! :biggrin:

But what exactly is a ''proper sketchbook'' to them? I have a style of working where my thinking process is on paper and these collectively form a 'sketchbook'. Was it that your work was mostly final stuff and you didn't show the developmental work, or was it that you did not have a solid sketchbook to show at the interview?

They shouldn't be so fussy. We're only human :frown:

By the way, do overseas students have any higher chances of getting in than home students? I hear UCL is well funded by the government and they don't need international student fees to stay up and running.
Reply 399
Feras
But what exactly is a ''proper sketchbook'' to them? I have a style of working where my thinking process is on paper and these collectively form a 'sketchbook'. Was it that your work was mostly final stuff and you didn't show the developmental work, or was it that you did not have a solid sketchbook to show at the interview?

They shouldn't be so fussy. We're only human :frown:

By the way, do overseas students have any higher chances of getting in than home students? I hear UCL is well funded by the government and they don't need international student fees to stay up and running.

Dont know about the intake thing, although im sure most universities are under pressure from the government to keep domestic intake high.

Yeh, by a proper sketch book i mean though processes and development. Something that isnt neat or finished or for presentation. Just something that shows observaional skills, as well as analytical and progressive skills and spatial awareness. I think at UCL they might like it to be a bit unique and imaganative...

Latest

Trending

Trending