TSR Architecture Society Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
pixie_dusta
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by laura25)
Hi, im new here
Ive applied to study architecture this year at Cardiff, Manchester, Liverpool, UCL, Plymouth and Portsmouth (Interior Design).
Ive received letters setting portfolio tasks from Manchester and UCL, any one in the same position?
Laura x
LOL I just got the e-mail sent ot me -_-"

Luckily I checked my junk mail xD:confused:
Jo_Guernsey
Report 12 years ago
Help!

I've applied for Architecture from September '07. However, I've completely wound myself up worrying, as I am predicted A,A,A/B, in Art, Graphic Design and Geography with a B grade in AS Maths, and although I was happy with my choices of Nottingham, UCL, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle and Oxford Brookes, I discovered the day after I applied that my back-up, Oxford Brookes has decided to raise their grades!! I'm also going to have to work non-stop to get the grades of A, A, A/B
Does anyone on a course reckon I have a chance of getting into any of these places or should I phone UCAS and see if I can substitute one choice for another uni with lower grades?

Any help would be really appreciated!
kaji
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hmm laura, at of interest why did you pick portsmouth for interior design and not archiecture? ^_^ welcome btw

~kaji
lb13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kaji)
hmm laura, at of interest why did you pick portsmouth for interior design and not archiecture? ^_^ welcome btw

~kaji

I dont really know tbh, mainly because there wasnt really anywhere else that i liked the look of!

UCL have asked for a response to 6 moments of my daily life, straight forward i suppose but manchester i am seriously struggling with!

Ive been accepted by Plymouth though at 320 points - my last choice!
Jo_Guernsey
Report 12 years ago
I dont really know tbh, mainly because there wasnt really anywhere else that i liked the look of!

UCL have asked for a response to 6 moments of my daily life, straight forward i suppose but manchester i am seriously struggling with!

Ive been accepted by Plymouth though at 320 points - my last choice!

did they give any detail behind the 'response to 6 moments of my daily life' ie. write a paragraph about each moment, an essay, or a sentence?? or clue to what they would prefer you write about?
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jo_Guernsey)
did they give any detail behind the 'response to 6 moments of my daily life' ie. write a paragraph about each moment, an essay, or a sentence?? or clue to what they would prefer you write about?
if it's ucl, i'd doubt they would give any clue. and who says the response should be written? i'm pretty sure if you wrote six responses to this, you'd be rejected straight away. they'll want to see a photo, a model, a sketch, a poem, a short film, a montage, stuff like that. they won't want 6 x text, i'm pretty sure of that, it would be bland in the extreme. you need to stand out.
lb13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Here's part of the email from UCL

Describe concisely - through a visual response - a sequence of six moments of your daily life using a range of media (sketches, drawings. photos, painting etc.) on a maximum of 6 A4 pages. Add a short (200 words) written explanation of your work.

Manchester on the other hand said...

We require three drawings to show your emtional or asthetic response to the subject and three more to display your understanding of form; particularly how the parts relate to each other and to the whole object of context

anyone have any ideas on that?! or got the same?!
harther
Report 12 years ago
Here's part of the email from UCL

Manchester on the other hand said...

We require three drawings to show your emtional or asthetic response to the subject and three more to display your understanding of form; particularly how the parts relate to each other and to the whole object of context

anyone have any ideas on that?! or got the same?!
Hey there, I've applied for architecture at manchester also but haven't received anything like that yet

I went to their open day a few weeks ago though and talked to the Head of Architecture, and he said that he wanted to see proof of drawing ability from three pencil sketches. He said you could draw anything..... as I recall he suggested a mushroom or a crumpled piece of paper.
Jo_Guernsey
Report 12 years ago
Help!

I've applied for Architecture from September '07. However, I've completely wound myself up worrying, as I am predicted A,A,A/B, in Art, Graphic Design and Geography with a B grade in AS Maths, and although I was happy with my choices of Nottingham, UCL, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle and Oxford Brookes, I discovered the day after I applied that my back-up, Oxford Brookes has decided to raise their grades!! I'm also going to have to work non-stop to get the grades of A, A, A/B
Does anyone on a course reckon I have a chance of getting into any of these places or should I phone UCAS and see if I can substitute one choice for another uni with lower grades?

Does anyone have any clues about what I should do? Brookes just gave me a high offer and I'm now completely unsure of what to do.
lb13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by harther)
Hey there, I've applied for architecture at manchester also but haven't received anything like that yet

I went to their open day a few weeks ago though and talked to the Head of Architecture, and he said that he wanted to see proof of drawing ability from three pencil sketches. He said you could draw anything..... as I recall he suggested a mushroom or a crumpled piece of paper.

Lol well i wish that was what the letter suggested, its not my drawing that lets me down, its just the fact i really dont have any ideas!

My UCAS was processed on 4th Oct and i received the letter on 16th so maybe of yours was done after that you will get the same thing soon.
harther
Report 12 years ago
Hmm well I would have applied earlier if only my school hadn't been so slow!

I've got A levels in Physics, Maths and Chemistry - not ideal for Architecture I realise. As I haven't done Art A level has anybody got any suggestions for what I should put in my portfolio? I'm currently gapping
Jo_Guernsey
Report 12 years ago
Have you done GCSE Art or Graphics? Any of the work from either of them could help.
Or sketch things that you've seen in the last year, and include any photos of any structures you've seen if you have travelled?
harther
Report 12 years ago
Help!

Hey there, what does A/B mean? Have you been predicted three As? Have you got any offers yet?

If you applied in the last ten days then you can still substitute one uni for another on UCAS track. If you dont really want to go to one of the uni's you've applied for then it might be an idea to swap one of your current choices for a uni with slightly lower entry standards. I did it today infact - swapping Cardiff for Plymouth as I was pretty sure that I wouldn't get into Cardiff.

Hope that helps!
Harther x
lb13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by harther)
Hmm well I would have applied earlier if only my school hadn't been so slow!

I've got A levels in Physics, Maths and Chemistry - not ideal for Architecture I realise. As I haven't done Art A level has anybody got any suggestions for what I should put in my portfolio? I'm currently gapping

Well im sure Physics and Maths will work in your favour with Architecture.
tbh although ive got work that i COULD use for a portfolio the tasks they have set have kinda meant doing everything from start.

I dont think the subject as such matters its just to show basic ability.
Jo_Guernsey
Report 12 years ago
Harther;
Well my referee gave me an A/B...so im predicted either AAA, or AAB. I'm so glad about that ten day thing, it means I have until Saturday! phew.
I phoned Brookes before and the guy hinted that I should get an offer on track with high grades from them which was why I was panicking although I havent received a definite offer yet. The grades for my other choices are;
Notts - AAA
Newcastle - AAA
Sheffield - AAB (but on the open day they said AAA)
Liverpool - ABB (but I visited them and they said AAB)
UCL - ABB (they said they may be forced to fashion of moving grades up..great)

I'm now tempted to swap Brookes with Dundee.
harther
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, Sheffield have put their grades up now....great.

Has anybody applied to Cambridge? I'm really stressing about the interview and yet another application form I've gotta fill out!
jelli-bean
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
aarrghh! i just got the task from UCL. anyone got any ideas yet?
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jelli-bean)
aarrghh! i just got the task from UCL. anyone got any ideas yet?
If you want to get into the Bartlett, you will need to be able to demonstrate clear and original thinking. As such, I think its unlikely that anyone will want to share their inspiration here on this forum until after they've heard back from UCL, as, by virtue, sharing their ideas makes it less likely that their great idea was so original after all, and thereby diminishes the chance of getting an offer.

Think about the sensations you experience at different times of the day - sunlight in your bed in the morning as you wake up, the smells you notice as you walk to work / school, the noises you hear at lunch, the hopes you carry within you at the moment, the feeling of your girlfriends / boyfriends hand on the back of your neck, the taste of your evening meal - how could you transfer such moments and sensations into visual media - sculpture, diagram, painting, photo? there's no answer anyone else can provide as each moment is personal.
goodbyecasio
Report 12 years ago
ahhh i really really hope i hear from brookes soon, as they're my first choice. i've got an offer from brighton so far which was only a fill-up choice but i guess it's still super early.
ucl are making me dislike them more and more with their elitest little assignments! fair play though with the amount of applications they get i guess they're allowed to be.
Jo_Guernsey
Report 12 years ago
Hey i got the email from UCL saying about 'six moments from your daily life'. I didn't realise we only have three weeks from the email, which was a bit stupid of me, but then for post to get from where I live to London takes a good 5 days.
anyone at UCL got any advice for us poor, struggling Year 13s?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise