Report 12 years ago
Wow, all that sounds kind of worrying!

Would you call it unmanagable? I quite like my social life
Minthumbug
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
shizzle yeah... that just sounds like 3 years of torture almost (except i'd prob quite like the projects). at least the terms are short though, have any archi students been known to commit suicide or become alcoholics?

lol...
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by laura25)

well, social life for me at the moment is maybe getting to watch 1 film or one dvd a week. its easier in the first year, you have more time, but there are some people who are trying to go out in second year like they did in the first year (i.e. 2 or 3 times a week) and they are royally f00ked on the current second year project. as i said, you really don't want to ever have to do this again, so you have to sacrifice going out to make sure you get an adequate grade. if you want a social life, do a humanities subject. i can say its longer hours than medic and definitely more so than engineers (i live with one).
Quiller
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im in first year at cardiff and have been putting in around 12-15 hour days all this week, i left studio at 1.30am on sunday night and thats a week from crit day. Not everyone does this of course, i'd say 60% pack up at 5.00pm and go back home but you can see it easily in their work unless they make up the hours another time. I know people that do go out a fair bit 2-3 times a week but towards the end of a project (like im at now) then everyone is just too tired to go anywhere except studio! Architecture is a tough course and it will take an awful lot from you mentally and physically, but the rewards are worth it, and of your own doing as the designer! i feel like i should be in studio now for instance, even though its 2am. Its probably the most intense workload i've had to cope with thus far, but by far the most fun, and i think its fair to say that none of us would be doing the course unless we really loved what were were designing and achieving.

There is time to do 'studenty' things in 1st year at least. There is time to go out if you make the time and work hard. Nowadays i walk in at 11pm from studio and see my flatmates lounging about watching films, or sitting in their dressing gowns eating, which they've been doing pretty much all day, and you realise that you wouldnt swap architecture for the world... and thats a great feeling.
Paullw
Report 12 years ago

It's manageable. You should be able to go out 1/2 times a week in the first year, if you work well the rest of the time, and you'll make friends, although mainly with architects, as you spend most of your time with them. It just won't be going out every night/watching day time TV all the time like everyone else at uni. You have 12 hour days, they have 12 hour weeks.
lb13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Paullw)
watching day time TV all the time like everyone else at uni.
Daytime TV i can manage with out.
O well, this is what i want to do so i suppose now is my chance to do it...
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
have just uploaded my a1 boads for the current project - sustainable living to my site - www.rktecture.net - the brief is also there and some sketchbook images. the a1s are quite big files as they have a lot of data on them, so if i shrunk them, they wouldn't be readable. its never easy getting an a1 board to a format that works on a computer screen.

right - off to make a 1:200 card model.
jelli-bean
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey everyone
congrats to everyone who got places, and good luck if you're still waiting!

so can anyone help me? i got a conditional offer from bath (yay!) but i need an AAA! i'm sure i could manage an AAB but def unsure about AAA. do i still have a chance at bath if i get slightly lower grades?
Minthumbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jelli-bean)
hey everyone
congrats to everyone who got places, and good luck if you're still waiting!

so can anyone help me? i got a conditional offer from bath (yay!) but i need an AAA! i'm sure i could manage an AAB but def unsure about AAA. do i still have a chance at bath if i get slightly lower grades?
Hey i'm not sure, as as far as i'm aware, all of their offers have been AAA.

Did you go to the open day yesterday afternoon (wednesday), and did that design project thing in the lecture room? Cause if you did, i was there too! might have seen you :P

xx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey, Im 1st year @ Bath- They are pretty strict on the 3A's, as far as im aware- I dont know anyone who got in with less.

Hey Minthumbug- I was showing people around on wed- so might have seen you:p:
You enjoy the design exercise? What you think of Bath?
Minthumbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey craig, yeah it was really good fun!! Bath seems like a really nice place, i'm not sure about it though as it's a little too close to home for me (i'm from bristol), but i'm definately considering it :]

Well i was in the tour group with a blond guy with a grey striped jumper? I'm not sure if that was you or you know him so yeah. Yeah the design exercise was really good i thought! was surprised with some of the stuff people did in that one hour.

You enjoy taking us young'uns around?? lol.
goodbyecasio
Report 12 years ago
i've got an interview with oxford brookes on the 6th december. i'm really nervous since this is my first choice and wasn't expecting an interview from them... i now have a couple of weeks to put together an amazing portfolio. has anyone else heard from them?
Jo_Guernsey
Report 12 years ago
yeh i got a letter asking for a portfolio but i didnt get anything about an interview. dunno if thats just because im an international tho.
ems xxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i'm new here... applied for architecture at cambridge, cardiff, bath, sheffield and nottingham. got an offer from nottingham- yey!!! and bath yey yey!!! but both AAA.

anyone know about interviews at cambridge, there doesnt seem to be much info around on them. got mine at magdalene on the 7th... v scared! anyone else applying to magdalene?

how do you present portfolios??? cardiff- 4 pages wasn't too bad- photoshop came into its own! but in real scale..? i'm a bit lost! :confused:

havent heard anything from cardiff or sheffield- has anyone else?
jelli-bean
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Minthumbug)
Hey i'm not sure, as as far as i'm aware, all of their offers have been AAA.

Did you go to the open day yesterday afternoon (wednesday), and did that design project thing in the lecture room? Cause if you did, i was there too! might have seen you :P

xx
thanks. humph, well we'll see how it goes ...
i didnt go to the open day. but ill be goin on jan 10, can't wait.

i've got an interview for oxford brookes too. i'm very excited about putting my portfolio together. but sheesh, they ask for a lot dont they!
we present our work in a portfolio case right?
Archo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have an interview at The Bartlett on the 27th, anyone have any ideas on what i should be expecting?!
Beware of a lady called Susan! She interviewed me at UCL last year and she was to die for. She also gave extremely positive feedback on my work and my presentation during the interview, and she really set my hopes up high. Seven weeks later I got a rejection letter. They say it's not the interviewer's decision (OUTRAGEOUS LIE!) - so then whats the point of the interview? From then on I accepted my offer at the AA and I am convinced that God was on my side because I couldn't love studying Architecture more than I am loving it at the AA.
smiley :)
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have a few questions if anyone can answer them:

1. Does an architecture degree require much group work? What percentage of the degree is group work?
2. When you eventually become an architect, is there room for independant work/ jobs?
3. Is Maths A level necessary for architecture?
4. Can Art History substitute Art A level?
5. Is work experience in architecture firms necessary?
6. What other work experience do you recommend if one cannot get the above?

Thank you!
Praddles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by smiley :))
I have a few questions if anyone can answer them:
All your questions have been answered before in this thread, but seeing as the search function is useless and the mods don't seem to want to give us our own forum, then you're forgiven.

1. Does an architecture degree require much group work? What percentage of the degree is group work?
There's a fair amount of group here at Portsmouth. The simple reason for that is because you have to learn to work with other architects when you're in practice, as well as people from other construction professions. I'd say it's about 30% groupwork here.

2. When you eventually become an architect, is there room for independant work/ jobs?
I'm not sure what you mean here - if you mean holding down a second job, then no. Unless you're some sort of strange workaholic who has the stamina of an ox. But even then, you'd be pushing it. If you mean joining a company and then trying to attract work yourself, then that's going to be frowned upon by the company who's hiring you. If it's a favour for a friend, or something, I guess you could get away with it, but if it's a huge project that takes up a lot of time, then they might get touchy. You'd be better off building up a list of contacts and then going solo whn you've established your name.

3. Is Maths A level necessary for architecture?
Some places (particularly those who do the BSc Architecture course) will require maths, but a lot of universities like to see a range of subjects - a technical subject (usually maths or physics), and humanity (geography or history) and a art (art or graphical design). To give you an idea, I didn't actually do any art subjects at A-Level (I did Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Geography) but was still successful in getting 5 offers at Bath, Sheffield, Nottingham, Portsmouth and Plymouth (also applied to Cambridge but withdrew my application). So even if you don't have the "ideal" range of subjects, don't lose hope that a university won't be interested in you

4. Can Art History substitute Art A level?
I don't see why not. It's a loose mix of an art based and humanity based subject, and there's a lot of architecture & art based theory so this will give you a step up in that aspect.

5. Is work experience in architecture firms necessary?
No, although a keen interest in architecture is very necessary!

6. What other work experience do you recommend if one cannot get the above?
Try working in a draughtsman office or in a related construction field.
smiley :)
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Praddles)
All your questions have been answered before in this thread, but seeing as the search function is useless and the mods don't seem to want to give us our own forum, then you're forgiven.
Thanks, I dont get why they wont give an architecture forum, I have another question; is architecture competitive? I keep hearing different views. I hear its one of the most unpopular courses but then I also hear (and read on here) that there are thousands of applicants applying for only about 90 spaces :eek: ? (These questions are from my friend by the way)

There's a fair amount of group here at Portsmouth. The simple reason for that is because you have to learn to work with other architects when you're in practice, as well as people from other construction professions. I'd say it's about 30% groupwork here.
not bad!

I'm not sure what you mean here - if you mean holding down a second job, then no. Unless you're some sort of strange workaholic who has the stamina of an ox. But even then, you'd be pushing it. If you mean joining a company and then trying to attract work yourself, then that's going to be frowned upon by the company who's hiring you. If it's a favour for a friend, or something, I guess you could get away with it, but if it's a huge project that takes up a lot of time, then they might get touchy. You'd be better off building up a list of contacts and then going solo whn you've established your name.
What I meant was, start up your own business. So you work alone but if someone came to you to draw them blueprints and stuff like that ? What I mean is do you always need to join a company or are there any jobs available that you can do by yourself? I dont mean a second job, but working freelance etc.

(hope Ive made it a bit clearer lol)
Some places (particularly those who do the BSc Architecture course) will require maths, but a lot of universities like to see a range of subjects - a technical subject (usually maths or physics), and humanity (geography or history) and a art (art or graphical design). To give you an idea, I didn't actually do any art subjects at A-Level (I did Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Geography) but was still successful in getting 5 offers at Bath, Sheffield, Nottingham, Portsmouth and Plymouth (also applied to Cambridge but withdrew my application). So even if you don't have the "ideal" range of subjects, don't lose hope that a university won't be interested in you
ok - my friend hasnt got art or maths and she has already applied to uni this year but she wants to withdraw her application and take a gap year where she can get w.experience and do maths and art during that year. she has emailed unis and asked them about if they mind or not but no ones replied.
what do you think about this?
btw if you dont think this is too nosey, what were your predicted grades and grades at the end?

I don't see why not. It's a loose mix of an art based and humanity based subject, and there's a lot of architecture & art based theory so this will give you a step up in that aspect.
cool.

No, although a keen interest in architecture is very necessary!

Try working in a draughtsman office or in a related construction field.
thanks a lot for the reply!
Praddles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks, I dont get why they wont give an architecture forum, I have another question; is architecture competitive? I keep hearing different views. I hear its one of the most unpopular courses but then I also hear (and read on here) that there are thousands of applicants applying for only about 90 spaces :eek: ? (These questions are from my friend by the way)
Architecture is a popular course - the more popular universities get thousands of applicants (Nottingham has 25 applicants per place!) but less popular universities are often undersubscribed. You need to make sure your personal statement is a killer - a lot of people will have top grades, but a lot of admission tutors for architecture are very much interested in what you write in your personal statement.

What I meant was, start up your own business. So you work alone but if someone came to you to draw them blueprints and stuff like that ? What I mean is do you always need to join a company or are there any jobs available that you can do by yourself? I dont mean a second job, but working freelance etc.

(hope Ive made it a bit clearer lol)
Realistically, very few architect students leave university and start up their own practice - mainly because nobody wants to employ someone who's inexperienced. Would you want the doctor who's fresh out of medical school or the surgeon with 20 years experience to operate on you? Also, you learn skills in university, but you also learn a hell of a lot in practice from other architects. And like I said, it's important to build up contacts so that when you feel you are ready to start up your own practice, you can get work. There's no point starting a practice if nobody's going to hire you..

ok - my friend hasnt got art or maths and she has already applied to uni this year but she wants to withdraw her application and take a gap year where she can get w.experience and do maths and art during that year. she has emailed unis and asked them about if they mind or not but no ones replied.
what do you think about this?
btw if you dont think this is too nosey, what were your predicted grades and grades at the end?
I recommend she does either art or maths (or both!). Universities rarely reply to individual circumstance unfortunately, but if she has a family member or friend who's in the profession she should try and see if she can shadow them. Chances of getting a work placement with an architecture firm is slim if you're not already a student unfortunately.

My own predicted grades were all A grades and I got all As in my finals. It's not all about grades though - you have to show a real desire to study architecture and her personal statement should reflect her passion for the subject.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?