RightSaidJames
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
For a complete guide to Welsh pronounciation, see this web page:
http://www.summitpost.org/article/31...Mountains.html

If you don't fancy learning all of that, here's how to pronounce some difficult words you might encounter in Cardiff:

Caerdydd (welsh word for Cardiff) - Cayer-Deeth

Cathays
(main student area, where the main campus is) - Ka-Tays

Senghennydd [Court/Hall] - Seng-en-ith

Talybont - Tal-uh-bont (NOT Tal-ee-bont)

Crwys [Road] (in Roath, the other major student area) - Crew-iss (technically it should be pronounced as one syllable but over time it's changed into two due to English influence upon the city)

Cymru ("Wales" ) - ***-ree

Cymraeg ("Welsh" ) - ***-raig

That's all I can think of for the moment. Anything major I've missed?

Also, note that "Dd" is actually pronounced like the "th" in the English "with", and "Ll" (e.g. Llandaff) is an extended "L" with a hissy noise at the start, but many people (Cardiffians especially) don't bother and just leave it as L.
siana17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ooh, thank you, I've been panicking about pronunciations!

(Original post by RightSaidJames)
Crwys [Road] (in Roath, the other major student area) - Crew-is
This is the road my halls are on - I've been trying to find out how to say it! My grandma's mother was Welsh and much of her family are, but she could not help me. My mum's friend, who was born and grew up in Wales, was slightly more help. I was next going to turn to my grandma's cousin, who speaks Welsh as her first language. I think we may strike up a much closer relationship over the coming months...

My name is Welsh, I'm hoping this will help me to subtly fit in! I think I'm alright on basic points in pronunciation... In year 10, we did Conwy castle for our History coursework and our teacher (who lived in Wales) gave us a crash course in Welsh pronunciations - f = v, ff = f, u = i/ee and dd (I thought) = th. Is that not right? I could have sworn it was more th and not v. Like in Daffydd and Rhuddlan.

Hmm, just thought - Llangollen (my great-grandmother's home town/village) is pronounced with a th for the second double l. Why's that?
soy_david
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
re: 'dd' sound - I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever pronounce it with even with a hint of a 'v'; it is a lisped sound, much like an English 'th' (as in 'with') or a soft Spanish 'c' (as in 'cenicero'). I wouldn't pronounce it like that, and the link you've posted seems to agree with me.

Cardiffians also (generally) don't tend to pronounce the Welsh 'll' - so, Llandaff becomes Landaf; Llanishen = Lanishen.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
(Original post by soy_david)
re: 'dd' sound - I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever pronounce it with even with a hint of a 'v'; it is a lisped sound, much like an English 'th' (as in 'with') or a soft Spanish 'c' (as in 'cenicero'). I wouldn't pronounce it like that, and the link you've posted seems to agree with me.

Cardiffians also (generally) don't tend to pronounce the Welsh 'll' - so, Llandaff becomes Landaf; Llanishen = Lanishen.
I pronounce it as a "vth" sound... but yeah, you're right, just "th" will do.

As for Cardiffian vs. normal Welsh pronounciation - I'd say it's better to learn anything but Cardiffian since that's the most *******ised form of Welsh there is. Saying that, not pronouncing the double L is pretty normal wherever you go.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
(Original post by siana17)
Ooh, thank you, I've been panicking about pronunciations!

This is the road my halls are on - I've been trying to find out how to say it! My grandma's mother was Welsh and much of her family are, but she could not help me. My mum's friend, who was born and grew up in Wales, was slightly more help. I was next going to turn to my grandma's cousin, who speaks Welsh as her first language. I think we may strike up a much closer relationship over the coming months...
It's a bit of a weird word, even for Welsh. A lot of people just say "Croyce", myself included.

Hmm, just thought - Llangollen (my great-grandmother's home town/village) is pronounced with a th for the second double l. Why's that?
Hmm. I've heard it pronounced like that too, but the pronounciation of "ll" in the middle of the word is essentially still the same, it's just that having a vowel on either side forces you to make it sound a bit more solid. How to actually pronounce "Ll" is hard to describe, but the best way I can think of is to open your mouth to expose your top teeth, place your tongue against the back of your top set of teeth and blow to briefly make a hissing sound, then blend it into the L. When it's in the middle of the word, it should come out as "chl", but with the "ch" distorted by the hissing.

At the end of the day, there's different ways to pronounce Welsh words depending on where you're from or how well educated you are. Plenty of people, even the locals, don't even bother!
kingscott91
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The name of my halls is Ty Pont Haearn... how do you pronounce that?
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kingscott91)
Tee Pont Hi-arn, and roll the 'r' in 'arn' if you can.

OP: 'dd' is definitely not 'v'! 'dd' is pronounced like the 'th' in 'this' or 'that'; and it's not 'care', either - it's pronounced 'k-eye-r'.
omlette
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kingscott91)
Ooh, my ex used to live there way back... as far as I'm aware phonetically it's tee pont hayurn, with the stress on the hay bit.

Right Said James, I know it's been said but: Sengen-ithhhh I'm guessing you were a taly boyo? :p:
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is "pronounciation" the Welsh word for "pronunciation", by any chance?
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
I think the "th" mistake stems from the fact I don't pronounce my Vs properly. Should be fixed now :p:
tashii1411
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i love it when english people try to pronounce welsh words properly warms my heart
you'll find in kaaaaardiff you don't need to much though
username70704
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks for the Crwys Road pronunciation! For the past year I have been pronouncing it as 'curries'. No wonder I have to repeat myself and get strange looks from people! Oh well, me and my Nottingham tones :p:
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Bumped from last year... anything else people would like to know?
Duffking
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes James, how would one say 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyr ndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch'?

(Actually, most of my relatives can say it easily. Gotta love being the only English person in an entirely welsh family)
CrazyChris
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bumped from last year... anything else people would like to know?
Talybont - Taly-uh-bont (NOT Tal-ee-bont)
Not Tal-uh-bont?

Though, for most students you'll pronounce it as "Tally"!
CrazyChris
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Duffking)
Yes James, how would one say 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyr ndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch'?

(Actually, most of my relatives can say it easily. Gotta love being the only English person in an entirely welsh family)
It's a nice one to be able to pronounce!
Go to their website>
www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerych wyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.c o.uk and there is a page helping you on how to say the name

Gotta love how TSR breaks the name when typed!
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duffking)

My best attempt:
http://audioboo.fm/boos/169125-llanf...ysiliogogogoch

Edit - I've mispronounced the ll of drobwll but meh.

(Original post by CrazyChris)
Not Tal-uh-bont?

Though, for most students you'll pronounce it as "Tally"!
No, the Y is pronounced as Uh... but then this is a bit of a regional thing, some people do say ee.
CrazyChris
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My best attempt:
http://audioboo.fm/boos/169125-llanf...ysiliogogogoch

Edit - I've mispronounced the ll of drobwll but meh.

No, the Y is pronounced as Uh... but then this is a bit of a regional thing, some people do say ee.
In the first post, it is shown as Taly-uh-bont, with the "y" and the "uh"... =]
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
(Original post by CrazyChris)
In the first post, it is shown as Taly-uh-bont, with the "y" and the "uh"... =]
Oh sorry, typo. Fixed.
Butterflyleg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Helpful thread ;D

Is it difficult to learn Welsh? I love learning languages, so I'm planning to learn a bit of Welsh :mmm: Is it useful btw?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (64)
17.53%
No one else does (117)
32.05%
I'm embarrassed about my background (38)
10.41%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (125)
34.25%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.64%
I don't have a camera (8)
2.19%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
1.92%

Watched Threads